FAQ & Help

Thread: Chinese Dissident Disappears From Thailand

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Chinese Dissident Disappears From Thailand

┬й 2016 TIME INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    A Chinese Dissident and Journalist Has Gone Missing in Thailand
    TIME Staff Jan. 22, 2016
    He is the latest critic of the Beijing regime to have vanished mysteriously in recent months

Another critic of ChinaтАЩs repressive regime has gone missing in Thailand.

Li Xin, a pro-democracy campaigner who wrote for the progressive Southern Metropolis Daily newspaper, was last heard of on Jan. 10 trying to enter Laos from the Thai border town of Nong Khai, his wife told Radio Free Asia (RFA).

Last October, Gui Minhai тАФ a publisher of books critical of Chinese Communist Party leaders тАФ went missing from the Thai resort town of Pattaya. He surfaced in a distressed condition on Chinese state television last week, making what appeared to be a scripted confession of a fatal drunk-driving accident that he was supposedly responsible for in 2003. The Thai government has so far not confirmed if there is an official record of GuiтАЩs departure from Thailand.

RFA reports that Li had initially traveled to India but was refused asylum there. An application to go to the U.S. on a tourist visa was also rejected. LiтАЩs wife and infant son had reportedly tried to join him overseas via Hong Kong but were refused entry to the enclave.

While in India, RFA says, Li made public several purported lists of sources and topics off limits to journalists in China, giving a glimpse at the operation of the regimeтАЩs extensive propaganda machinery.

Beijing has been widening its dragnet in recent times in pursuit of its critics and dissidents overseas. Hong Kong publisher Lee Bo тАФ a colleague of GuiтАЩs тАФ is believed to have been abducted from Hong Kong at the end of December by mainland agents, in flagrant violation of Hong KongтАЩs autonomy. Chinese authorities say he is now in detention in the mainland.

тАЬI thought once I escaped China I would be safe,тАЭ one Chinese dissident told TIME in Bangkok last week, unnerved by the Mandarin-speaking men who had been following her. тАЬIf I disappear tomorrow, you will have no doubt about who took me. The [Chinese] Communist Party is too powerful.тАЭ

[RFA]

Attached Images Attached Images
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Re: Chinese Dissident Disappears From Thailand

I see in the Nation newspaper that China is bullying the smaller SE Asian countries more and more and now think nothing of sending in agents to make abductions.
    Ex KGB Putin has shown them the way. Even center London is not of bounds for his murderous plots.
    I hope the Thais don't give the Chinese a railroad (using only Chinese guage lines) through the heartland of their country.
    Good news in the Nation today that the project is running into more financial problems.

Liked

The Chinese are going to dominate the world like no other country has ever done before.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal
    The Chinese are going to dominate the world like no other country has ever done before.
    And the most ironic thing is, there's a decent chance not a single shot will be fired while China continues to take over the world.

Liked

UPDATE: Missing journalist appears to be in Chinese government custody, wife says.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/03/asia/ ... rss_latest

Liked

CDMatt: I agree, probably. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Asia was the starting point for WW3. =P~

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal
    CDMatt: I agree, probably. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Asia was the starting point for WW3. =P~

I think the more likely senerio will emerge in the mideast, China at some point wil put enough pressure on N.Korea, they want it stable as they fear a huge influx of N.Koreans into China, however China's current forays in the South China Sea are worrrisum.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"