Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: America's Presidential Election Blues

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Re: America's Presidential Election Blues

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall
    I haven't the faintest idea of the Constitution's provisions for the replacement of a Supreme Court Justice. Nor do I care. But if I was an American, I sure would!

I suspect you do or you wouldn't have made this post! As for a "Constitution a provision" one only need https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recess_appointment
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Each US election cycle is such a circus show. It almost feels as though it's an experiment -- "how dumb can we go?" type of thing. Come on, none of the candidates are any good, and they're all basically a complete joke. I don't want any of them with the launch codes to the world's largest nuclear arsenal.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

As an outsider looking in I would say Hilary looks the best shot, mainly as she already knows how things work, knows where the bodies are buried, knows ( I'm assuming) how to get things done, would take no shit from anyone and basically like a good apprentice has put her time in plugging away supporting Bill and if any woman should be given the position I think she's probably earned it - at least as much of the rest of the pack if not a load more - and she wouldn't be the worst in terms of LGBT rights etc too hopefully which is another plus of course, albeit her conversion to same has ben quite recent, but at least it came in the end.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons
    I suspect you do or you wouldn't have made this post!
    All I "know" is based on the constant yap-yap-yapping of each side's hound dogs occasionally on television - but most goes in one ear and out the other! It is all too much like a farce.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    Each US election cycle is such a circus show. It almost feels as though it's an experiment -- "how dumb can we go?" type of thing. Come on, none of the candidates are any good, and they're all basically a complete joke. I don't want any of them with the launch codes to the world's largest nuclear arsenal.
    Hillary is no joke although most if not all the Republicans are especially Trump and Cruz.

Liked

Yeah, out of all the contenders, I think I'd prefer Hilary in there due to her experience. That's why there's a part of me that believes the only reason Trump is there is to ensure Hilary gets the win. After all, Trump did meet with the Clinton's weeks before announcing he's running.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

Liked

Found this funny piece which has a relation to the subject:
    https://itzhakts.wordpress.com/2011/...-independence/
    To the citizens of the United States of America from Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II In light of your failure to financially manage yourselves and inability to effectively govern yourselves responsibly, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective immediately. (You should look up ‘revocation’ in the Oxford English Dictionary.) Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths, and territories (except Kansas, which she does not fancy). Your new Prime Minister, David William Donald Cameron, will appoint a Governor for the former United States of America without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire may be circulated sometime next year to determine whether any of you noticed. To aid in the transition to a British Crown dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:
    1. You will learn that the suffix ˜burgh” is pronounced “burra”; you may elect to spell Pittsburgh as ˜Pittsberg” if you find you simply can’t cope with correct pronunciation. Then look up “aluminum” and check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it.
    2. The letter “U” will be reinstated in words such as ˜colour”, “favour” and “neighbour”. Likewise, you will learn to spell “doughnut” without skipping half the letters.
    3. Generally, you will be expected to raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels (look up “vocabulary”). Using the same twenty-seven words interspersed with filler noises such as “like” and “you know” is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication.
    4. There is no such thing as “US English”. We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take account of the reinstated letter “u”.
    5. You will relearn your original national anthem, “God Save The Queen”, but only after fully carrying out Task #1 (see above).
    6. July 4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday.
    7. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you’re not quite ready to be independent. Guns should only be handled by adults and then used solely for shooting grouse. If you’re not adult enough to sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist, then you’re not ready to handle a gun, let alone shoot grouse.
    8. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. A permit will be required if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.
    9. All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and this is for your own good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we mean.
    10. All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start driving on the left side with immediate effect. At the same time, you will go metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of conversion tables. Both roundabouts and metrication will help you understand the British sense of humour.
    11. The former United States of America will adopt the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland prices on petrol (which you have been calling “gasoline”) of roughly $10/US gallon. Get used to it.
    12. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French Fries are not real chips, and those things you insist on calling potato chips are properly called crisps. Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat, and dressed not with catsup but with malt vinegar.
    13. Waiters and waitresses will be trained to be more aggressive with customers.
    14. The cold, tasteless stuff you insist on calling “beer” is not actually beer at all. Henceforth, only proper British Bitter will be referred to as beer, and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as Lager. New Zealand beer is also acceptable, as New Zealand is pound for pound the greatest sporting nation on earth and it can only be due to the beer. They are also part of the British Commonwealth – see what it did for them. American brands will be referred to as Near-Frozen Gnat’s Urine, so that all can be sold without risk of further confusion.
    15. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as good guys. Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors to play English characters. Watching Andie Macdowell attempt English dialogue in Four Weddings and a Funeral was an experience akin to having one’s ears removed with a cheese grater.
    16. You will cease playing “American” Football. There are only two kinds of proper football; one you call soccer, and rugby. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which has some similarities to American Football, but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like a bunch of nancies or Jessies – English slangs for effeminate males and blouses for big girls respectively).
    17. Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the “World Series” for a game which is not played outside of the United States of America. Since only 2.1% of you are aware there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable. You will learn cricket.
    18. You must tell us who killed JFK. It’s been driving us mad.
    19. An inland revenue agent (i.e. tax collector) from Her Majesty’s Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all monies due (backdated to 1776).
    20. Daily Tea Time begins promptly at 4 p.m. with proper cups, with saucers, and never mugs, with high quality biscuits (cookies) and cakes; plus strawberries (with cream) when in season.

Thank you for your cooperation.

8. 4 Users gave Like to post:

Forky123 (March 1st, 2016), fountainhall (March 2nd, 2016), francois (March 1st, 2016), lego (March 2nd, 2016)

Liked

Well done Christian. (The following is all said 'tongue-in-cheek'. OK?)

There are, of course, many other linguistic atrocities that could be added to this list.
    Gotten ... do you remember the joke about the USian who had got.ten tickets to the theatre - his wife rang and invited 8 friends.

The USian universal laziness of "off of" - translated from 'off from' (where the "from" is redundant) - meaning descend, alight, leave, obtain, buy, be given, awarded, achieved and many other more suitable verbs. Similarly, 'would of' in lieu of 'would have'.

Please, never, ever, suggest the USian primary and high school "education system" works.
    [i][color=#0000FF]"One day our descendants will think it incredible that we paid so much attention to things like the amount of melanin in our skin, or the shape of our eyes, or our gender, instead of the unique identities of each of us as complex human beings."
    ~ Franklin Thomas[/color][/i]