List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Was You're Time In Thailand Better or Worse With Thaksin?

Liked

Re: Was You're Time In Thailand Better or Worse With Thaksin

Getting to the op's question, my life in Thailand as a retired expat has changed little no matter who the prime minister's or dictator's name might be (Chuan Leekpai, Thaksin, Surayud, Samak, Somchai, Abhisit, Yingluck, General Prayuth, all in my time here). As a gay man life has changed very little because of the government and the only drama for me personally was the closing of the airports by the PAD, losing the English radio stations for about a year and the recent changes at the gay beach (Dongtan). Don't get me wrong I have great empathy for the Thai people and hope the current situation has a happy ending, but I myself simply realize I'm living in a Banana Republic and just accept it.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Thank you Up2U for your answer to the original question. :ymapplause:
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

But we don't live in a self contained bubble here.
    I offer you the thai proverb: "When elephants fight the ants get crushed".
    We are ants here at best.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons
    Thank you Up2U for your answer to the original question. :ymapplause:
    What a sarcastic comment, implying that many of us have not tried to answer your question. You're lucky that anyone should bother at all when you give nothing of yourself. Why don't YOU tell us how Thaksin affected YOUR life in Thailand?
    [i]There is a boy across the river with a bottom like a peach,
    But alas I cannot swim.
    [/i]
    - From an early-19th-century Pashtun marching song

Liked

Peter sorry you are right! Frankly I didn't give a shit about his alleged wrongdoings and I liked things like paying your vehicle infractions direct to the cop that stopped you also it was mentioned that he appointed someone to upgraded Thailand's image as a sex resort but I believe that was more talk than anything, places like Sunee plaza thrived during his time as did other places, look now!
    I'm sure Thaksin had regulations but were they enforced maybe. Another reason the bars aren't doing well is because people like me drive and with the new check points with breathalyzers and one drink almost puts you over the limit why sit in a bar there is only so much club soda one can drink.

Liked

places like Sunee plaza thrived during his time as did other places, look now!
    You could also easily argue Thaksin's and Yingluck's policies helped kill the commercial sex industry more than anything, but their polices just took a few years to truly take effect. The 30 baht health care scheme, 33% raise in minimum wage, the rice scheme, and so on. People aren't as desperate as they once were.

Liked

I beg to differ Matt the real death came after Thaksin and his sister isn't even worth discussing.

Liked

places like Sunee plaza thrived during his time as did other places, look now!
    There were twice as many gogo bars in sunee before Thaksin came to power and initiated the social order campaign.
    When it started there were ~12. When he finished probably only ~6
    When I first came to Pattaya in 2001... I could easily spend a whole night touring the sunee gogo bars
    There are now only 3... Can do them in 45 minutes!
    The social order campaign killed the gay gogo scene... and left us with rip-off "super" pubs like Dream boys in BKK

According to some the whole social order campaign was meant to intimate and annoy some of the confirmed bachelors of the establishment...
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

I would like to thank fountainhall for the effort made to provide a detailed response to the question posed.

And it makes quite a read.
    ..........and that's the way it is.

Liked

Back when Thaksin was in power my Thai friendтАЩs mother had photos of him on the wall next to those of the king. She thought he was wonderful and was horrified when he was ousted. However when I asked my Thai friend what difference he thought it would make he just laughed. He takes no notice of politics at all and dismisses all politicians as тАЬbad menтАЭ.

Personally I canтАЩt think of any difference itтАЩs made to me, as far as my trips are concerned, and IтАЩve been visiting once or twice a year since 1990. The month I spent in Pattaya over Christmas and the New Year was one of the most enjoyable I've had but I've never spent much time in the bars and I don't visit Sunee more than once or twice a trip.