Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else feeling the freeze?

Liked

Anyone else feeling the freeze?

I guess it's mainly up north, but Bangkok seems to be a little chilly these days too:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... r-thailand

It's +11C right now at 10am, but earlier this morning I noticed it was all the way down to +7C. Granted, I would prefer this over the +44C summer days, but still, this is quite chilly for Thailand. Aside from right now, the next coldest I can remember is +16C at night.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Anyone else feeling the freeze?

As the saying goes, when China sneezes South East Asia catches a cold. I was in Hong Kong on Saturday and it was bitterly cold. In fact, the weather this weekend is the worst there for more than 20 years. It's not unusual for surges of the north-east winter monsoon to result in lower temperatures here in Thailand, but this one is particularly bad. There is an intense polar vortex moving south and so this weather is likely to continue for several more days unfortunately.

Liked

Definitely chilly in Pattaya! Luckily had to postpone a visit to Hong Kong this week since I have no warm clothing.

Liked

Yes cdnmatt, IтАЩm also feeling the chill here in Bangkok. ThereтАЩs been a rather cold breeze all day. My digital clock shows 22C, but it feels much colder than that. IтАЩm going out later and might consider wearing the top I usually reserve for my journey back to the UK.

Last night was the first time I slept without the need for air-con or a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall
    There is an intense polar vortex moving south . . .
    Crikey fountainhall! That sounds rather worrying. Scenes from the movie The Day After Tomorrow spring to mind. Perhaps weтАЩll be snow swimming here before too long. I believe itтАЩs currently all the rage in West Virginia. :-s
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

Liked

Yeah, looks like we're stuck with this weather for a few more days. According to weather forecasts, should begin warming up on the 27th, then be back to normal on the 28th.

Started early yesterday morning, and weather literally dropped 15 - 20C. Right now, it's 2:30pm, and according to my tablet it's only +13C. Even on a cold day, it should be at least +28C right now, it not in the mid-30s. Got a decent rain storm out of it though, so that was nice, as the yard needed a drink.

It's not too bad for me, because I'm Canadian, so can handle the cold. Feel a little bad for the locals though. Almost looks as though loads of people turned Muslim overnight, because everyone is running around with sheets tied around their heads, kids have little wool panda and tiger hats on, etc.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    I guess it's mainly up north, but Bangkok seems to be a little chilly these days too:
    Anyone else feeling the freeze? According to bf everybody in Thailand will be! Certainly, as you say, up Khon Kaen way they are. Chat everyday with him and the main topic has been the 'extreme' temps last few days. In his village it seems apart from a bit extra clothing, the way it is dealt with is by going to bed early! Talking yesterday at 7pm Thai time he said everyone was already in bed because SO cold! He runs a small shop beside his home where locals and many young males/females hang out from early evening, sitting around drinking beer/coffee/coke whatever.. and last couple days it's been deserted after 6pm! There's even been small fires set up in front yards around the village where the farm workers gather after work to eat/chat.......before going to bed early.

I'm there in a few days and prefer it cooler in the evening, but I bet the temp will have managed to soar back up by the time I arrive. Those westerners currently in Thailand, cdnmatt/francois/jellbean and others....do you prefer the cooler weather?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by newalaan2
    Those westerners currently in Thailand, cdnmatt/francois/jellbean and others....do you prefer the cooler weather?
    Depends what you're comparing it too. if I had to choose between this or +44C days in June, then I'd go for this. You can always put more clothes on, but there's only so many you can take off.

Personally though, I prefer the standard "winter" days, which should be back around Friday I guess. Low - mid 30s during the day, low 20s at night. Perfect weather.

It's not even really THAT cold (especially considering I'm Canadian -- -38C is cold, not +12C , but it's just nobody here is setup for it. We don't live in air-tight houses with triple paned windows and central heating, so for basically everyone, the temp outside is also the temp inside.

Liked

Cdnmatt:

If you are having trouble breathing, it is because my hands are around your neck and squeezing. It is 30 degrees Fahrenheit right now with 30 inches of snow in my yard. That goes for the rest of you too...

Liked

16c this morning at 6:30am in Hua Hin. Finally found testicles and warmed them over the toaster. Saved!
    About 18c most of the day and very windy. Big waves in the Gulf bursting even larger onto the beach.
    Forecast for tomorrow is 27c and 28c Wednesday. End of the world averted once again ... and good thing as I still have half a pizza left in the fridge.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by newalaan2

Those westerners currently in Thailand, cdnmatt/francois/jellbean and others....do you prefer the cooler weather?
    Yes and no. When it first turned cooler it was wonderful but tonight a bit too chilly. However it was bearable and , when inside was able to "handle" the conditions to my advantage.