Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Zika Virus

Liked

The Zika Virus

http://globalnews.ca/news/601119/alb...p-to-thailand/

There is building hysteria happening over here in North America with respect to the Zika Virus, a virus that originates and is transmitted initially by mosquito bite. Because this is a virus, it has the ability to mutate in an infected human and is already transmittable from human to human.

There is no vaccine for the Zika Virus and so travelers in the affected countries, including Thailand, Central and South America are to avoid mosquito infected areas to avoid infection.

Surfcrest

Liked

Re: The Zika Virus

Ah the latest medical hysteria. Remember SARS, Asian flu., etc , the list is endless.
    Anyone know anybody personally who died from them?
    Thought not....
    Next topic please!

Liked

Nevertheless, advice concerning protection against mosquito bites is always worth following; dengue fever, for example, is apparently rife in Thailand at the moment. And it can be fatal.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

A serious disease.

If you were pregnant and infected your baby could turn out like MFAS.

=))

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    Nevertheless, advice concerning protection against mosquito bites is always worth following; dengue fever, for example, is apparently rife in Thailand at the moment. And it can be fatal.
    I have had friends who have contracted dengue fever here in Pattaya and a Thai soap opera star recently died from it.

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/01/ ... gue-fever/

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.ph ... 6&section=

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by egel
    Ah the latest medical hysteria. Remember SARS, Asian flu., etc , the list is endless.
    Anyone know anybody personally who died from them?
    Thought not....
    Next topic please!
    That's a cheap jibe and untrue. SARS killed 775 people around the world and affected more than 8,000. I knew one who died in Hong Kong! How about ebola, another on your endless list? How about the families of the 11,316 who died in the latest outbreak, including the medical professionals?

What makes the comment outrageous is that the zika virus attacks the brains of unborn babies. Already more than 4,000 have been born with microcephaly and will require medical and other support for their entire lives. Let's remember, too, that the zika virus has earlier been found in South East Asia.

Liked

I posted this story just to give you folks not following the news too closely, some of the excitement coming out of the WHO about the Zika virus today just in case you are flying home or crossing and borders. This is a disease that began in the Zika forest of Uganda and that has been spreading eastward through the tropics to the point of jumping from the South Pacific to South America and upwards. It has already passed through Thailand and is probably still present to some degree. It has hit Brazil very hard on the eve of the 2016 summer Olympics.

The disease is transmitted by mosquito and may or may not exhibit symptoms similar to dengue fever. They are currently working on a vaccine for the virus, but do not currently have one...nor is there a cure. Pregnant woman are the most at risk. The disease is a virus and is able to mutate. It is of the family of viruses that is spread through blood or bodily fluids and so, puts us on the low risk side...with the exception of mosquito transmission.

This is something you want to be aware of when you are traveling and so check ahead depending on where you are coming or going to, for possible health screening.

Surfcrest

Liked

I've noticed a bit of an uptick in mosquitos lately, I'm assuming due to the colder weather and couple good rain storms we had.

Can't say I'm overly worried about Zika though. Dengue fever on the other hand is always in the back of my mind, as that one is quite prevalent here, and not something I want to get.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

"If you were pregnant and infected your baby could turn out like MFAS."(quote)dab69

I guess this was an attempt at humor..........This is a pic of a baby born from a mother infected with Zika! How about a child with Polio, also funny?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dab69
    "If you were pregnant and infected your baby could turn out like MFAS."(/quote)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons
    guess this was an attempt at humor..........This is a pic of a baby born from a mother infected with Zika! How about a child with Polio, also funny?
    Noted that baby MFAS has already flattened his very first 'hong nam' door. More to come, undoubtedly.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand