The Gay Times have a magazine to fill and it looks like the journalist is expected to file a report & employ whatever creativity is necessary to make it interesting.
Even if the budget didn't actually cover sending anyone to Vietnam. Or that's how it seems reading the article.

It is clear the journalist has to write an article, but at no point is it clear, or even suggested he has been to Vietnam.
Then it seems to evolve from internet research into spas onto possible fiction in the coverage of the bars, just to spice it up a bit.

I found Q bar in Saigon was just a mixed middle class bar class bar in the posh bit of Saigon with some gay customers. Very ordinary.
A couple of the spas were OK. Adam was quite nice, but the best bit was just enjoying the surroundings and chatting to some Western visitors. I had a massage there, but the happy ending was the most rushed I've even encountered. He certainly didn't want to get caught in the act.

The gay life I found in Danang & Hoi An can be summarised as absolutely nothing. .
Although Hoi An very much merits a visit just for the charm of the town centre.