Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Have a Problem with Credit Card Pins for Online Booki

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Do You Have a Problem with Credit Card Pins for Online Booki

On my last long trip of 5 week to Europe and the USA I encountered a VISA problem I still cannot resolve.

Since I travel a lot, I make dozens of hotel, flight and other bookings annually on the internet using ccs. Usually it is a Citibank issued VISA since that gets me double the miles of my other ccs. In the last year or so it has been the policy of VISA to send a 6 digit PIN by sms to my mobile phone which I must type in at the end of the booking process in order to complete the purchase. When I am in Thailand there is clearly no problem. When I am overseas it is.

Like many posters here I believe, I generally do not use my Thai SIM card when overseas. I purchase one on arrival for use in whichever country I'm visiting. I'm just not prepared to pay hefty Thai roaming charges on long trips. Plus many of the people I meet up with overseas are not prepared to call a Thai number to reach me when I am just a few kms away.

i only discovered this some months ago when making a flight booking when overseas. Not having the Thai SIM with me I could not complete the process. With all the hassle of then phoning up the airline in question, I discovered that the phone booking price was higher than the internet price (or perhaps the lower priced ticket had by then sold out). I immediately called this bank's VISA security department in Hong Kong to check if they could verify it was me by sending an email or asking the normal questions about my identity or some other means. It was like talking to a robot. The answer was a flat "No". This is VISA and the bank's policy.

The other problem on my long summer trip was that I often use a hotel booking site that generally offers the best rates but does not immediately deduct the cost. That is left to the hotel which can claim its payment any time from that point on up to arrival. Since I had booked eight hotels in different countries several months earlier, my concern was that if these went through to VISA as internet bookings just days prior to arrival, in the absence of a PIN there might be a chance they'd be cancelled. So I had to contact each hotel and give them my American Express card info in case there was an issue with VISA. Amex also now require a PIN but will at least send an email in addition to an sms. On my return I wrote to the head of security at the bank. I got the usual waffle. This is a VISA regulation, not the bank's.

Does anyone have a solution to what remains for me quite a problem? There is talk that Amex will soon dispense with the email part. If so, then the only solution I can think of is to carry two phones. remember to switch off the roaming service on the Thai one prior to departure and then to switch it on each time I make an internet purchase. Since all my communications devices are Apples I certainly would prefer not to have the headache of switching to a dual SIM phone. Or is that in fact a better solution?

Liked

Re: Do You Have a Problem with Credit Card Pins for Online B

With UK credit cards, no PIN is necessary when using them on line. I have never been asked for a PIN on line. Sometimes there is a "verified by Visa" page with a password, but certainly no PIN for on line use.

I presume you have a Thai credit card. The first thing I would do is see if another provider has more reasonable security and get a card with them.
    Then go to your existing bank and ask them to sort it out or you will take your business elsewhere.

I agree. If you are using US issued cars they seem to have two-step verification required. When you mentioned Citibank I assumed that was the problem as they are notorious for it. However you also mention using them online. My chipped Visa card uses the "verified by Visa" facility, no need for OTP, so I'm confused why you'd even need a PIN

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The VISA card I use mostly for travel is issued by Citibank in Hong Kong. When I use my Krungsri VISA card in Thailand for an online purchase, it also requires a PIN sent by sms for certain larger transactions. For smaller ones, I receive an sms informing me of the transaction and requesting I call them if it was not made by me. I have another VISA issued by HSBC in Hong Kong but am not sure why none of these are not "verified by Visa". I'm writing to Citi to find out. I suspect this type of card may not yet be universally available in Asia.

The latest issue with the Citibank issued VISA is that I received a call a week ago with a disturbing message. The caller from Citi's credit card security department suggested I change my card as they had been informed by VISA International there "is a chance my card MAY be hacked"!! I asked what that means and got a lot of flannel. Does it mean VISA's own security may have been breached? I checked my latest transactions and found no fake charges. So I said I'd prefer to keep the card as I hate changing numbers when I have bookings in the near future where I may need to show the card. In that case, I was informed, there is no problem as long as I check the transactions on my Citi webpage daily and inform them of any strange debits! I found this totally extraordinary! Again zero explanation! So to avoid the hassle I had a new card issued. But once again this is not "verified by VISA". I'll let you know when I get a reply from Citibank.

No, it simply means their fraud detection software has flagged a transaction that it thinks doesn't fit your spending profile. As fraudulent use (if not your fault) is covered by their fraud insurance it's just arse-covering. What I love (irony alert) is getting a phone call out of the blue from a blocked number and a person at the other end speaking in a foreign accent who demands you tell them all sorts of personal information an identity thief would kill for so they "can talk to you about your account". I never ever play that game and refuse to answer any questions. As often as not I'm then told it's "very important" they talk to me about my account, to which I reply that *they* seem to have a problem in that case

It's why I have a triple A (AAA) rating - Arsehole, Arsehole, Arsehole

Liked

Bank fraud detection is utterly hopeless.

I insured my house, using my Barclaycard 12 months after the previous insurance payment using the same Barclaycard and someone phones up to question it. Bye bye Barclaycard.

My bank blocked transactions to my stockbroker 3 times in the last couple of years, despite me having a record of making multiple payments to the broker each year.

If your credit card provider has unreasonably security, I would dump them on principle & make sure I tell them why.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji
    If your credit card provider has unreasonably security, I would dump them on principle & make sure I tell them why.
    I'm getting very close to it. But I'm not sure if the issue is with VISA International or Citibank. I've had the Citibank card for about 18 years and never had a problem before! On my next trip to Hong Kong I'm going to seek a meeting at Citibank to find out more.

Liked

Why not do that AND get the replacement credit card ordered ?
    Am not sure what the current situation is, but it used to take about15 minutes to fill out a credit card application.
    Then if the new provider offers a better service, it's so much easier to dump the old one.

America is finally catching up with the First World - http://www.inc.com/jeremy-quittner/how- ... cards.html

Thailand still loiters

Liked

I vaguely remember: on a similar thread someone suggested taking your Thai SIM abroad and receive SMS with PIN without charge.