Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sawatdee Network Update

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Sawatdee Network Update

cdnmatt wrote: Place your bets people! Place your bets! I'm going for PeterUK and bobsaigon.

bobsaigon announces that he is not one of the chosen two associate moderators (but if he were, you would no longer see any posts by two of the board members whose names you can easily guess).

Liked

Firecat: How can you complain to the moderators if you don't know who they are? This is an emotive board with some strong characters. One by one they will disappear if this place is governed by some faceless bureaucrat. I have an idea this decision (by Surfcrest) is in part due to Kommies despicable and underhand attack recently which I suspect was posted in the middle of the Canadian night.

I also suspect that one of the moderators is in Thailand and that contrary to what Surfcrest says we wouldn't be happy about it.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    Place your bets people! Place your bets! I'm going for PeterUK and bobsaigon.
    Let me hazard a guess. In your wild and carefree youth (ie in the days before you were married) you liked to have a little flutter on the geegees. Finally,though - a sadder and wiser man - you gave it up as a bad job.
    [i]There is a boy across the river with a bottom like a peach,
    But alas I cannot swim.
    [/i]
    - From an early-19th-century Pashtun marching song

Liked

So no actual denial then PeterUK! :-?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

We could just ask every single member point blank.... then tally the ones who didn't deny it...
    check out http://gaysexthailand.com every day

Liked

Surf's got us all involved in a guessing frenzy!

It would be hard to find someone who hasn't crossed swords with others on the forum, and that would surely have to be a prerequisite.

Bobsaigon and Jellybean come close, though. But they've already told us it isn't them.

Nirish would be a candidate - he's always calm and collected when he posts - but he's had a few run-ins with others. Besides, he'd be too busy and would have to interrupt his constant holidays along with his frantic fucking. Lol

Mmmm.....let's keep guessing.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal
    This is an emotive board with some strong characters. One by one they will disappear if this place is governed by some faceless bureaucrat. I have an idea this decision (by Surfcrest) is in part due to Kommies despicable and underhand attack recently which I suspect was posted in the middle of the Canadian night.

I also suspect that one of the moderators is in Thailand and that contrary to what Surfcrest says we wouldn't be happy about it.
    No, actually I could care less what kommie posts because it all vanishes with the push of a button. If this is the worst we have, then we are pretty lucky these days

Unfortunately, your suspicions are incorrect. I'm not sure who you are thinking of or if this is just the process of elimination Please trust me arsenal, I've given you no reason not to!

I'll be spending a great deal of time over the coming months with my family in Central America. I'll still be here on a regular basis to work on the administrative chores, if something happens that we are unable to resolve together or that still needs my assistance

Surfcrest

Liked

Ok, if it's not bobsaigon, I'm going to go with ChristianPFC. Even when people have poked fun at him, he's always kept himself well composed. Plus he lives in Thailand, so the time zone works.

Or Surfcrest could just save us the suspense, and say who they are. I trust Surfcrest's judgement, so I'm sure who he picked is fine. We'll eventually figure it out anyway. You can only fake your writing style for so long.

I'll start by saying I'd like to thank Surfcrest for the impeccable way in which he has administered and moderated this Forum. Moderating is, as scottish-guy points out, a thankless task; moderating posts from a bunch of mostly elderly, bitchy queens undoubtedly adds a layer of complexity.

Is it worth the effort? Surfcrest wants to sell the Forum - as far as I can tell he wants to dismantle the "network" which just leaves the Forum standing. What is its value? In money terms, whatever a willing buyer will pay for it. According to the site Worth of Web the network as it currently stands is valued at slightly less than $3K. SitePrice responded with a "Adult Web Site" message and a suggestion it should be valued by a more appropriate site. Don't trust me - the figures are publicly available. If the Forum is the only thing remaining then - possibly - the value is even less.

Surfcrest asserts that it has "potential" as a money spinner. Neal claimed the same. I certainly had a similar dialogue with Beachlover via PM. However, there are really only two main models for monetising a site - advertising or subscription. I always have Ad blocking software running in my browsers, so if there are advertisements on the site now I never see them, and that's an increasing trend these days. The other is subscription; I recall this being tried, with various subscription levels entitling members to have their own blogs, for example. Since it was discontinued I assume it didn't work.

The alternative is a funding collective. Bob sort of ran the old Forum this way - periodically he'd run out of money, the Forum would go offline, and various people would send him money. Many members possibly have a Western Union card (back in the days) that has Bob as a regular assignee of money. However the only way for that to be successful is if it's on a no-strings-attached basis. The money sent bought the sender nohing, no entitlements, nada and that's the only way such a model can work otherwise you get some posters with an exaggerated sense of entitlement. The funding collective therefore doesn't see the Forum's value in money terms; they have a qualitative rather than a quantitative perspective

Liked

Well, my money is on fountainhall for the great office of the Lord Keeper of the QueenтАЩs Peace (otherwise known as a moderator).

He certainly qualifies as an esteemed member in my book. I believe he would moderate fairly, sparingly and without fear or favour. He also appears to have a detailed and extensive knowledge of a broad range of subjects. He lives in Thailand. From my reading of his posts he appears to be well travelled with an in-depth knowledge of many Asian countries. And, although IтАЩve never met him, he comes across as a perfect gentleman who would, I believe, be utterly capable of defusing an inflamed situation without causing undue offence.

If IтАЩm wrong, then we are fast running out of likely candidates. And, IтАЩve put forward only one possible тАШesteemed memberтАЩ, I canтАЩt think of another member other than Smiles. Perhaps it's a case of going back to the future. Well, he certainly knows the ropes and is no stranger to the role of moderator.

This guessing game is becoming quite enjoyable. Is there a prize for the members who correctly name the two new moderators? I think there should be. Maybe rich as Croesus member Tobi can donate two top of the range iPhones as a sign of his contrition for his earlier ill-judged, unfounded, undeserved and offensive comments.
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases