FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sawatdee Network Update

Liked

Re: Sawatdee Network Update

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi
    Jellybean*, you rancid blob.
    *1 down, 1 to go.
    There is no one more gracious than Jellybean, a true gentleman. Your remarks Tobi only serve to demean yourself.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal
    Anonymous authority. Mmm. Are you sure that's a good idea? Because I'm not.
    As you know, I'm not an anonymous moderator. I was a member long before I took this over from "what was his name?" But do you really know me? Moderating has been broken down into simply administering the Board, based on our few Rules. (The exception to the rule, as you know is kommie...I delete his nonsense indiscriminately now) I try to include the Membership when "we" change a rule and so I, and the new moderators will continue in that direction. One of the new moderators actually wrote the rules for me after I bought this Board and so he, I know is quite familiar with them. I think you would all be very happy with the two gentlemen who have volunteered to assist me / us.

Surfcrest

Liked

So, you are asking us to accept the authority of someone of your choice who will remain anonymous but that's OK because YOU'RE sure that we would like them. Can you give me any examples where this system is employed and is successful elsewhere?

Liked

So, you are asking us to accept the authority of someone of your choice who will remain anonymous but that's OK because YOU'RE sure that we would like them. Can you give me any examples where this system is employed and is successful elsewhere?
    The alternative is somebody you do not like, and you leave.

If the owner has selected people to replace him, who cares what is done elsewhere.

You accept or leave.
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

No, I don't think running the site or moderating the Board has anything to do with authority. I don't have any authority over you as the Board owner and as you the member. The moderators that are going to take over (I hope) won't have any authority either. When authority needs to be dealt with inside the rules, it should be by the authority of the membership.

Case in point, you have been rather good over the years at spotting bogus new members, even from before I took over here. We talked about it as a group and the administrator of the day would oust them to all our benefit. There shouldn't be any need for any more authority than to do what the membership wants. The moderator, as he does now should tidy things up and listen to what the membership tells him / them.

I think what I was trying to explain when I suggested "you would all be very happy" was that when I took over from "what's his name" you didn't get a choice and when he took over from Bob, we didn't get a choice. I'm sure my taking over was just as bad news for some as it was for "what's his name". Now you're getting another fresh start with two completely neutral moderators. I'm not suggesting you're getting a choice, as this was a stipulation I thought necessary to attract the right talent for the job. It's not easy continuing to post as a member when you are the moderator / owner and so I didn't want to take that away from either one, by taking on this challenge for us. I hope you would agree!

Surfcrest

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean
    But IтАЩm sorry to inform you that I am not one of the new moderators.
    Drat. Of course, that's what an anonymous moderator would say. Ha!!

Liked

Tobi, it's a bit rich of you, of all people, to beat up on Jellybean. He's a poster of impeccable credibility, unlike yourself. After all, you were the one who started that ridiculous thread about buying iPhones for all the boys and boasting about staying at the Kempinsky. Remember?

Liked

I think Arsenal has made a valid point and like him I really don't see the value in the new mods being anonymous, in fact it could be counter productive.

At this stage it really doesn't matter who the anointed ones are - because as far as we know they have yet to do anything controversial.

However the time will inevitably come when another member, perhaps even one who is equally "esteemed" (if there are other such members) has his post moderated and proceeds to kick up fuck about it. To think this won't happen is naive in the extreme and I suspect that there are members right now rubbing their hands in glee at the possibility of a post being moderated and giving them an excuse to start a fight about it (I won't mention names)

It will be at that point that some reassurance will be sought (not only from the poster who has been moderated, but from other members) as to the impartiality of the person who moderated the post, because (despite Surfy's implication that two virtual saints who have never argued with anybody have been appointed) we all know that certain members have "history" with other members.

When (not if) this happens, well-balanced people (like me of course O:-) ) might have told the complainant to stop screaming because Jellybean (used purely an an example) is a reasonable guy and wouldn't act out of order. Unfortunately the aforementioned well-balanced people will not be able to make that point in relation to an anonymous moderator, so disputes will just escalate.

Basically, time will tell - but good luck to the two anonymous mods with what is a totally thankless task. The best they can hope for is an honest and supportive Admin.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi
    Drat. Of course, that's what an anonymous moderator would say. Ha!!
    Crikey! YouтАЩre like a dog with a bone Tobi!

So, after wrongly outing me as one of the two new moderators you persist in your delusion rather than exercising your little grey cells by outing the real new moderators.

Okay. LetтАЩs just say for the sake of argument that I was an тАЬesteemed memberтАЭ and asked by Surfcrest to be a moderator.

And letтАЩs also say for the sake of argument that I thought of myself as an тАЬesteemed memberтАЭ and important enough to act in the high office of moderator of this glorious forum and agreed to accept the appointment.

I know, most members will regard this as rather farfetched, but please indulge me while I try to satisfy TobiтАЩs finger pointing and false accusations.

Right, where was I? Ah, yes. Had I accepted the high office of moderator, I would have insisted, as a pre-condition, that I moderate under my present forum name of Jellybean. What reason would I have to seek further anonymity? After all, I already post anonymously.

The other advantage is that if the moderator posts as a member then, on the same topic, posts as a moderator, all will be above board and open for all to see. Again, there would be nothing to hide, no need for cloak and dagger shenanigans and the membership would, I venture to say, be totally satisfied with the openness weтАЩve come to expect on Sawatdee Network.

As it stands under the proposed new system of moderation, when these two тАЬesteemed membersтАЭ post under different names as moderators, there will be more than a whiff of partiality, or unfairness, wonтАЩt there?

So, in conclusion, I say to our two тАЬesteemed and very important membersтАЭ, come on guys, fess up and moderate under your current forum names. What have you got to be scared about? Had you done so from the outset, I dare say no member would have batted an eyelid and would, in all likelihood, have wished you all the best and asked you to moderate professionally and without fear or favour.

Now Tobi, don't think I've forgotten about you. Who said you could come off the naughty step? I said you were to remain there until further notice. As a further penalty for disregarding my instructions, I hereby fine you 20 bitcoins.

See, arnтАЩt you glad IтАЩm not one of the new moderators. IтАЩd be as strict as a Prussian general . . . Lol!

Ah . . . thank you a447 for reminding me of when Tobi first started posting on this forum. So Tobi, when the two real new moderators make themselves known, I hope to receive your public apology and a slap up meal, at your expense, at the Dusit Thani when you are next in Bangkok. And Mr Moneybags, donтАЩt claim poverty, we all know you are loaded, after all, as a447 has just pointed out, you wanted to buy all the bar-boys you met top of the range iPhones.

And thank you Fran├зois for your kind comments. After acting as the oldest bell-boy in Christendom last week by carrying your suitcase up and down the stairs at various sky-train stations in Bangkok on route to the Ekkamai Eastern Bus Terminal I was expecting a 20 baht tip, but IтАЩll happily settle for the kudos your post has earned me. Lol!

Finally, thank you also for your kind invitation to tomorrow nightтАЩs weekly piping in of the haggis at All of Me bar in Sunee Plaza, Pattaya. Ooops . . . wrong function, I meant, of course, the piping in of the meatloaf. May I be so bold as to request that you ensure the meatloaf is fresh and in no way rancid. And can you also ensure it is fat free. I donтАЩt want any other member accusing me, with any degree of justification, that I am rancid and a blob. Lol!

=))
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

Liked

Wombat: You have, as usual missed the point. :-\ I don't care one milligram who the moderator(s) is/are. I just want to know who it is. However, there is a reason why we are not being told. We are not getting the full picture here. That much is clear. Also, if they've never had a cross word with anybody, what's the fucking point of them being here?

Oh and by the way. Thanks for the streaming site info. They're fantastic. :ymapplause: