Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belief in Ghosts

Liked

Belief in Ghosts

A young man I met on Gay Romeo, visiting my hotel rooms in Bangkok, said that he could never sleep there on his own because the large rooms meant that there would be far more ghosts in them. I had always presumed that, from a Thai point of view, all ones ancestor ghosts squeezed into the available space rather than going looking for a larger room. How big is a Thai ghost anyway? Do Vietnamese ghosts pop over the border in search of larger rooms?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Belief in Ghosts

Actually one would presume that in larger hotel rooms you could actually expect to find LESS ghosts not more as obviously if the ghosts can afford the high ghost room tariff then they wouldn't be so keen or feel the need to share rooms with other ghosts in the first place !

Liked

I would certainly like to find a way to charge the ghosts for spacious accommodation. And how to get them to do their share of cleaning. While we tend towards a jocular view of ghosts I'm intrigued by the utterly different perspective that Thai people have of them, with a hundred different types of ghosts and a serious fear of them. :ymdevil:

Liked

It's nothing to do with ghosts. The poorer Thais are simply scared of sleeping alone, because they're simply not used to it. That's all there is to it.

I remember with Kim and myself, and we had a nice 4bdrm house. At times there would be anywhere from 6 - 12 people staying there, and for a bit it was Kim's little sister and her baby. Yet, they all slept in the living room. Kim became accustomed with A/C, so he'd usually come sleep with me because he was horny and liked his A/C. Everyone else slept in the living room though, leaving 3 full bedrooms empty.

Just realize where the poorer Thais come from. They grow up in the village, and from the time they're born entire famly (including extended family) sleep in one room, because that's all they can afford. So to be alone in your own room at night is scary for them, same as it is sometimes for a 6 year old in the West, hence night lights and shit.

Liked

Ghosts are real to many Thais. I recall taking a boy from Bee High bar I think off Sapan Quai Rd to the large hotel at the end of soi 20. (I forget the name ). He flatly refused to enter the place saying that it had many pee. I had to pay 350B for a short time room.

Liked

I have to agree with Thaiguest.

My BF is Vietnamese and I can assure you that he is genuinely terrified of ghosts in his mother's house (where he had his own room, so nothing to do with sleeping alone) - and all the apartments he stayed in in Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia etc were apparently haunted.

However, he has no such fear over the condo we have in HCMC. I asked him why and he told me that because the condo is new-build, nobody has died in it and therefore no ghosts to worry him.

As ludicrous as this fear of ghosts may seem to us, it's very real to him - and I don't believe he is unique in that respect as I have heard many Thai boys expressing the same fears.

Let's face it, maybe more than half of all Americans believe in UFOs and a 2013 report stated that 48% believe UFOs could be a sign of extraterrestrial visitation

Liked

Of course ghosts exist, this forum has been haunted with them for years, mostly poltergeists and doppelgangers. 8-X

Liked

How many Farang believe in God?

One of my Thai friends wanted me to join him for smoking on the balcony, alone he would be afraid of ghosts.

Another of my Thai friend told me I'm crazy for not believing in fortune telling.

Liked

For example, surveys suggest about 70% of Americans believe in god. I hope god and his retinue don't also live in our hotel rooms as it would get distinctly crowded. With over 100 hundred types of Thai ghosts potentially milling about we would need a community relations worker to keep order. :-?