Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I blame Pantip Plaza?

Liked

Can I blame Pantip Plaza?

On my final day in Bangkok, I went to Pantip plaza with some friends to speck out some copy phones. We spent close to 3 hours there going from counter to counter trying to find a deal we could live with. It was no fun dealing with the sellers there. All the sellers there warned us of other sellers showing a quality phone only to switch it for a bad quality phone once the sale is done. After making a purchase and going through the setup, they did provide a phone that was not what we inspected at the counter, but that is not the problem.

Once we were back in the hotel I noticed a message on my Android Phone (Not the new phone I purchased) telling me that my request to change my western union password was approved. Then several transactions were shown to be processed. I opened my credit card app and saw several pending transactions. I downloaded the Western Union app and tried to cancel the Western Union transactions. They don't make it easy and I had to copy and paste the authorization number into a screen and write a message. I asked them to cancel the fraudulent transaction and to remove my credit card from their site. On the next few that I had to notify them to cancel I asked them to also delete my account.

The transactions were canceled and I was no-longer able to log onto western union so I assumed they canceled my account.... They didn't. When I was at the airport I checked my mail and there was a flood of Western Union pending transactions... I sent off as many fraud notices that I could and soon their webpage seem to become unresponsive. Now I was sitting on the plane unable to do anything with their webpage. I sent an email to my bank with "Fraud" in the subject line and told them that all the western union transactions being processed against my credit card were not initiated by me and were fraudulent.

Western union only stopped the transactions after $2,000 was collected from someone in Thailand, but not because they feared fraud. They canceled the transactions only because my bank refused to process the pending payments.

Once I got home my bank asked me to come in and sign a incident report and they put the money back in my account. Western union is unsure as to what their actions will be. One person told me that they will return the money since it was fraudulent transactions. Another person in the Fraud unit told me that they can't return the money that was picked up from the agent. Western union also told me that I had to report the theft to my local authorities. I laughed and told them that I was in Thailand and the fradulent transactions took place in Thailand and the money was picked up from an agent in Thailand... I also asked them to suggest which police department I should contact? The county police or the state police? They didn't answer the question.

So do I think Pantip had anything to do with this? I can't say for sure but I will put my phone in airplane mode when I am in Pantip in the future.

These are the good'ol days

Liked

Re: Can I blame Pantip Plaza?

Ok, first thing's first... you actually used a credit card at one of those little kiosks in Thailand? Ummm, yeah... ok, lesson learned, don't do that! If you need to put a purchase on your credit card, walk over to the closest ATM, and pull the cash out off your credit card, and pay with that. I hope you don't pay for restaurant meals with a credit card as well. Generally, it's probably not a good idea to hand your credit card to people who make $250/month.

Second, not sure if the US and Canada have caught up to the rest of the world yet, but contact your bank and ask for a proper VISA. Aside from North America, I think pretty near everywhere in the world when you get a new debit / credit card, you get two VISA#s. One that's printed ont the card itself, which will only go through if the card is physically present and swiped through the POS terminal. If you try that number for an online purchase where the card isn't present, it will get declined.

Then you have a second VISA# which is nowhere on the card, which you can use for online purchases. This way, if someone steals the number off your card, it doesn't really matter, because that number will only work if the card is physically swiped through the POS machine.

Liked

Seems more likely that one of your "gentleman callers" skimmed one of your CC whilst they were in your room and you were indisposed

And they then used those details to set up a fake WU account to siphon offf your money...

Regardless - hope you get you money back!
    Most I ever got done for was тВм5000 (2500 limit at 23.59 and then 2500 limit again at 00.01) - thankfully my bank eventually refunded me these amounts after ~5 weeks
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Why would anyone in their right mind go to Panthip Plaza for phones? Computer hardware yes. Everyone knows that MBK is where to go for mobile phones

Forum's veteran
    Liked

buckyboy u really gotta wise up...u knew the place was known for its less than honest traders and yet u still bought a phone there and used your card...really!!!! U epitomise the stereotype american tourist...loud, in sneakers with an expensive watch adorning his wrist and a camera around his neck. Sorry...but u only got yourself to blame.

Liked

Did Bucky state that he used a credit card for a purchase? I took it that his cell phone was hacked.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Did Bucky state that he used a credit card for a purchase? I took it that his cell phone was hacked.
    Highly unlikely, especially considering the Western Union transfers were sent to someone in Thailand. Most likely, someone swiped his credit card number at some point during his trip. Could be a hotel clerk, restauarant waiter, someone at a cell phone kiosk in Pantip, who knows...

When in places like Thailand, use cash. It's kind of a basic rule that everyone should already know.

Liked

I use them sparingly in Thailand but since Chase sends me an email alert within 1 second of the card being used anywhere in the world , I 'm not too worried since in 1 minute I can call and block the transaction.

That said mostly only used in Big Chain Hotels although I have used it in MBK with no problems.

Liked

No one got my credit card number
    . The person used my email address and sent a change password request to wetern union. Once they changed the password they used the "Send it again" option that is offered. they then somehow managed to get the transaction.number needed to pickup the cash as well as change the name of the recepient. Those transactions were applied ain't the default credit card associated to my online western union account. Sorry. I thought I made it clear that this was a cyber theft.

All fraud happen in the cyber world and was not a credit card skimming theft.

Liked

This is the email I got from Western union, i never asked for this pas sword change....

Dear,

We've received a request to change the password for your account.

Please click the following link, or copy and paste it into your browser, to reset your password: https://www.westernunion.com/new-password-flow/start.

Your temporary password is EDITED. Please change it right away, and keep it in a safe place.

If you didn't make this request, please contact us immediately, by email at customercare@westernunion.com or by calling 1-877-989-3268.

Thanks for using Western Union.

DON'T REPLY TO THIS EMAIL. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT US.

This is a customer service email from Western Union Financial Services, Inc. Please don't reply to this email, but instead contact us securely through the "Contact Us"section at http://www.westernunion.com if you need help.

Western Union Financial Service, Inc.
    PO Box 6036 Englewood, CO 80112

Privacy Statement

If you believe this may be a fraudulent email, type http://www.westernunion.com/ directly into your browser. Learn more about how to protect yourself from fraud.

┬й2015 Western Union Financial Services, Inc . All rights reserved. All other logos, trade marks, service marks and trade names referenced in this material are the property of their respective owners