Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to Western Union

Liked

Re: Alternatives to Western Union

Quote Originally Posted by kommentariat
    Here you go Smiles - sink your teeth into this - http://www.marketwatch.com/story/is-bit ... 2015-11-02
    I don't like gold either. I'll never be a 'REAL' Thai. B-)
    I like rice though. :-*
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

I'm not linking anything to my checking account directly. With a credit card I'm protected by laws that's a I'm only liable up to $50. With a direct bank account withdraw I'm liable and if defrauded I am at the mercy of the banks mood it could be forced to pay over withdrawal fees related to the fraud.
    These are the good'ol days

Liked

http://bitcoinity.org/markets

Up 17% in the past 24 hours. WTF is going on? This isn't normal. I've heard rumors institutional investors have recently got on board, so maybe that's it? A jump like this hasn't happened in ages.

Damn, I was hoping it'd continue to stay quite low for another good bit, while I continue to save up my BTC. I have no problem seeing it at $2000+ in the future, so I'm long-term on it. Invoice in USD, get paid in BTC, so lower it is, the more BTC I get.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Matt, just in case you missed it I PM'd you re this topic.

Liked

I have a Thai bank account and make a large transfer before I travel using SAT Worldwide. I then use ATMs to draw cash out as needed.

This seems to be the most efficient way to get your hard-earned into Thai Baht - any better ideas?

Liked

I've been confused about this thread from the beginning. What was meant to be the original topic?

For transferring money to your own account in Thailand, Western Union has always been a terrible choice, worse than buying baht at your local bank and mailing them to Thailand in an envelope marked "CASH".

Western Union is for sending money to "friends" here who don't have a bank account. It works but can be awkward and the cost is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by mahjongguy
    I've been confused about this thread from the beginning. What was meant to be the original topic?

For transferring money to your own account in Thailand, Western Union has always been a terrible choice, worse than buying baht at your local bank and mailing them to Thailand in an envelope marked "CASH".

Western Union is for sending money to "friends" here who don't have a bank account. It works but can be awkward and the cost is absurd.
    It was spawned by Bucky's thread trying to blame Panthip Plaza for being a dickhead and having his Western Union account scammed

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kommentariat
    That cdnmatt thinks it a possibility shows his slim grasp of reality
    So you're saying I should invest in getting some Bitcoin ATMs setup in the likes of Pattaya and Bangkok? Hookers in the Western world are using them in droves.

Could be some decent profit there. Cheaper and easier than Western Union for the farang punters sending money to their newly found love, and Thais could easily get cash out of the ATM.

Liked

So you're saying I should invest in getting some Bitcoin ATMs setup in the likes of Pattaya and Bangkok? Hookers in the Western world are using them in droves.

Could be some decent profit there. Cheaper and easier than Western Union for the farang punters sending money to their newly found love, and Thais could easily get cash out of the ATM.
    Bitcoin seems to be the darling of diehard anti-establishment, anti-capitalism types, who then confuse the issue by gloating over how much money they've made from it (whilst keeping schtum about what they've lost..)

As a currency though it can't be taken seriously until it's buying power - be it bowls of rice or boys for the night - achieves some semblance of stability.

My biggest issue with it is that without the backing of any government willing to defend it, or the absolute certainty that someone won't figure out how to create unlimited quantities of it, it's value could so very easily evaporate overnight..

Quote Originally Posted by mahjongguy
    After being highly amused by a recent thread I thought I'd post about my experiences of using money transfer services to Thailand other than Western Union.
    The first line in the first post in this thread