Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bali and KL Trip Report

Liked

Re: Bali and KL Trip Report

Day 11

The final full day in Bali. So sad. Meeting up with other Aussie friends today and so spending the morning attending to emails, and generally being a lazy so-and-so.

I finally dragged my arse out to the rice fields north of Ubud in search of a bar/eatery that had got good wraps on TripAdvisor. Fuck know how all those other travellers ever found it as it is few klicks out of town, and near nothing else of import that I could discern.

The folks who own it and who work there were lovely and they made us feel welcome. The menu contains a delightful "raison d'etre" by the owner, and the offerings including plenty of novel dishes we hadn't seen before. We actually didn't come here to eat, but were tempted by the Sweet and Spicy Grilled Corn, a Sweet Potato entree. I never could resist sweet potato.

They have wireless internet, but it's a little bit slow. One of the things they do provide is insect repellent (at each table) which is very thoughtful and sensible indeed.

Talking about the internet, and whilst we were sitting at Warung Bintang Bali one of our Facebook friends posted that we were near to Made Beciks and we should make a bee-line for it, post-haste. I think her exact words included "Oh, the duck".

Given we were in the neighbourhood, we decided to heed the advice and that was about the best decision we made all trip. We tried both the Betutu Chicken and the Grilled Duck. Both were great, but the duck could best be described as exceptional. I remember dropping a piece of duck meat on the floor and almost tearing up over the sense of loss! Truly, this was the best duck I have ever tasted.

I am only sad that we discovered this on our last day in Bali. I would go back in a heartbeat.

The restaurant has wifi, and also charges neither tax nor a service %'age. There are mossies, so take repellant.

So тАУ last day means last massage. What to do? I am a gambling man, and so taking risks are par for the course. However, I thought about the myriad misses this trip, and went back to Modena. I didnтАЩt have anyone in mind тАУ but was delighted to have been allocated the amazing Sumatran, Joe. Nothing тАУ I mean nothing тАУ could have topped this. I only booked a one hour massage (no idea why) and the massage lasted 10 minutes. As to the reason whyтАж well IтАЩll leave that to your imaginations. What a way to end Bali.

Liked

Day 12

This is mostly a travelling day. KL is only three hours away, but there's the getting to the airport in the notorious Denpasar traffic, and then customs and so on. As it was traffic was fine and although check-in was delayed we found ourselves with time enough to go out on search of one final Bali massage. That wasn't to be as of the two that we came across, one had no staff and the other all female staff. Thanks, but no thanks.

So we consoled ourselves with beers in an airport bar. The Denpasar airport has come a long way since I was last here mid-2015. The eating and drinking options have greatly expanded, although prices (like any airport) are too high. Our flight was a delayed half an hour, but there were so many hot men in the airport, I could have cared less.

The bf was quite sad to be leaving Bali which was interesting. He's previously lived in Bali whilst studying for his PhD, so maybe it was that familiarity, or maybe it was the realisation that reality (work and study) was just around the corner.

Finally onto Kuala Lumpur. Many people I know rag this city out, but I like it a lot. Not as much as like Bangers, but hey, they are two very different beasts.

We checked into our hotel in Bukit Bintang, and whilst the room was nothing to write home about, the Exec Lounge was a treat. Two hours of unlimited cocktails each night, and I have since discovered that I can consume a considerable number of Daiquiris in two hours. The staff were great, and one of them in particular was not adverse to a flirt. We talked a lot about his calves for some reason.

We were joined by a mate from Singapore and headed off to Blue Boy, that bastion of seedy bar activity. I once remarked to a mate that if you canтАЩt pick up at Blue Boy, you are probably dead.

Those were words I had to reconsider tonight as whilst we were there (about 1┬╜ hours), only 20 guys showed up тАУ and they were all expats or tourists. Not a single Malay, Chinese or Indian to be seen. Apart from the staff that is, and they were not going to receive Mr Universe nominations any time soon.

We left slightly disappointed (but of course hiding said disappointment just in case the bf take umbrage). And that was KL day one. When rereading this account it sounded dull тАУ but I have to say I was greatly buoyed by being in KL again. I really do like this city. And the menfolk тАУ as I mentioned in an earlier post тАУ are (whilst not outstanding) uniformly fuckable. Malay, Chinese, IndianтАж even the expats here are cute.

And we had an outstanding view of that marvel in architectural style, the Petronas Twin Towers, from our hotel window. What, exactly, is not to like?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by steveky
    headed off to Blue Boy, that bastion of seedy bar activity. I once remarked to a mate that if you canтАЩt pick up at Blue Boy, you are probably dead.
    Those were words I had to reconsider tonight as whilst we were there (about 1┬╜ hours), only 20 guys showed up тАУ and they were all expats or tourists. Not a single Malay, Chinese or Indian to be seen. Apart from the staff that is, and they were not going to receive Mr Universe nominations any time soon. We left slightly disappointed
    You were lucky to get out of Bali as the airport has been closed since Wednesday afternoon, volcanic ash from Lombok.

I thought that everyone knew that Blue Boy only 'works' Friday and Saturday nights after 11.00 p.m, it half works Sundays same time. I was there one Monday night along with 5 other expats!! But you are right Fridays and Saturdays are wild....you can not walk along that unlit lane to the toilets without being groped, I usually walk very slowly.

As you missed out on eating at Hajun Locale in Ubud, you should try MamaSan at KLCC, similar menu [but KL prices of course] as also by Will Merrick.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by steveky
    The restaurant charges neither tax nor a service charge.
    You seem to be a bit paranoid about Bali's tax and service charge.

Any place that does not charge tax is illegal and a big rip-off.

The Service charge is for the staff, supposedly shared equally between all non-executive staff NOT the owner [although sadly with locally owned places that is not always the case!]. Do you have any idea how much the locals get paid?? The min legal salary for Gianyar [Ubud area] is about Rp1,900,000 [say $A190]..per MONTH for 6 day weeks. Most who work for a local owner do not even get that. That is one of the reasons why pregnant waitresses work almost till the baby comes, even if husband and wife both working almost impossible to live on that, it is only barely possible as almost ALL Balinese live rent free in their family compound [the boys stay there after marriage the girls move to husband's compound, permanently leaving their own family!], unless they are working away from home then must rent a room [Rp.500,000 out of their wages], and only eat rice or noodles...A good monthly service charge is their only hope!

I shudder every time I hear a tourist ask a waiter or barman...what is your favourite restaurant? What a joke, that tourist's bill for dinner that night, with drinks, is probably more than that Balinese earns in a month! They only EVER go to a restaurant, in their lifetime, if a tourist takes them.

Liked

Danny99,

Thanks for those facts . In some way it explains why boys value a meal and drinks and maybe some sightseeing as much as what the minimur rate will be.

It will be almost 10 months before my visit but my conversations on Romeo and Hornet certainly provide reasons to hope for a great experience.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by firecat69
    Danny99,

Thanks for those facts . In some way it explains why boys value a meal and drinks and maybe some sightseeing as much as what the minimur rate will be.
    Minimum rate? You must be referring to prostitutes? As a general rule they are not Balinese, but from Java, mainly Surabaya and Central Java. They would like the meal drinks and money.

Whilst a straight Balinese boy [waiter, barman, mini mart worker, etc., although some of them are imported as well] will readily accept an offer for drinks, eats [you must be careful to match the boy and the restaurant/caf├й so they are relaxed enough to enjoy], maybe play afterwards, and be VERY grateful for a little unsolicited financial assistance ...they are not cold calculating prostitutes like those who hang out at the gay bars and use Romeo, etc

Liked

I wonder why there was a sudden stop to steveky's reports?