Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Investment tips for Thai boys?

Liked

Investment tips for Thai boys?

I think Vanguard 500 World Index fund is about the safest bet you can get, right? For those who have no clue about the markets, nor any desire to learn the markets, I think that's a pretty safe bet, no?

He has a decent chunk in his account right now, and enough to invest. As it turns out, his mom taught him well, and he's a good little saver. Right now, he's at 4% annual interest, and even that's a little high for me to believe for a standard savings account. However, a Vanguard index fund could bring him 15 - 25% annual earninings, correct?

Anyone ever give Thai boys investment advice? Any pointers? I think Vanguard 500 World Index fund is probably a pretty good way to go though.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Investment tips for Thai boys?

assume u r referring to a Thai MB....dont think the average MB would know where to find this fund..and most probably wouldnt trust it. My advice would be to invest in something thast not easy to liquidate..like land or property..start with small apartment..rent it out..that type of thing.
    Only challenge is that most drink,smoke and party their hard earned cash away...they think they are bullet proof..young forever..the saying young and dumb comes to mind...

Liked

I'm still waiting for Matt's post to be translated to English. You can tell I know nothing about investments.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

4. User who gave Like to post:

francois (November 16th, 2017)

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Which account is paying him 4%? My Thai bank is only paying 1.5%, perhaps he is the one that should be giving the tips.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    Which account is paying him 4%? My Thai bank is only paying 1.5%, perhaps he is the one that should be giving the tips.
    Yeah, I don't quite believe the 4% either, as that seems too high to me. I think your average savings account in Canada gives about 1.5% annual interest, which doesn't even cover inflation, so you're actually losing money.

Anyway, he has about 95,000 baht in his account, and believe it or not, only about 20% of that came from me. He's a good little saver!

He treats that money as long-term savings, and as though it doesn't even exist, which is great in my mind. I even managed to convince him a while back to NOT get a bank card for that account, and he heeded that advice.

However, it's still just sitting in a typical savings account. Assuming he's not willing to touch that money for a good 5 years, and considering neither of us know anything about the markets, I think one of the Vanguard funds is probably fat better than a typical savings account, correct? As long as he doesn't need that money in the next 5 years, it will surely appreciate far more in a Vanguard World Index Fund than in a savings account, right?

Again, we're only talking 95,000 baht, so not a huge amount, but enough to get out of a savings account if you're treating that money as long-term savings.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

For the record and clarity are you talking about your Leo ( from Lao ) or a totally different Thai boy perhaps ( as the title of this thread might suggest ??)

Liked

I just said "Thai", because it's easier that way for this audience.

Same type of thing as when I say things like, "I seen on the news...".

Yes, I'm talking about Leo, my husband.

Liked

Invest in a Bitcoin millionaire. Job done.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I thought Leo was Laotian or something from across the river..

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    I just said "Thai", because it's easier that way for this audience.

Same type of thing as when I say things like, "I seen on the news...".

Yes, I'm talking about Leo, my husband.
    He's not of course your husband as you well know, but hey you keep throwing it out there if it makes you happy.