Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: This Forum is Amazing

Forum's veteran
    Liked

This Forum is Amazing

It just blows my mind that you can still read through posts that were made in 2006 or before..... as if they were posted yesterday..... even including the writings of now deceased people.... like this one, for exampe.... starting-your-own-business-greedy-pattaya-business-owners-t9984.html

This forum is a treasure chest of the history of gay Thailand.

It should be published into a print coffee table book as an archive.

check out http://gaysexthailand.com every day

Liked

Re: This Forum is Amazing

There is indeed, a lot of history buried in the years of posts going back to 2004, some stitched back together from the old EZ Board. That might turn out to be quite the big coffee table book, you could probably bend one of your tricks over it...if you wanted.

Quite often when I'm reading through posts, I'll remember something someone said...maybe a word, or a phrase and I'll use the Search function tab in the top left corner and more than likely I'll find it.

It's really too bad Neal deleted so many members, be it because they didn't sign in often enough or he just hated them. I see Cedric the zillionaire from Hong Kong was posting this summer over on Gay Thailand.com. NaughtyButNice is still posting on Gaybuttonthai and boygeenyus...well! LOL

Surfcrest

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I don't know any of those people or anything about them... But if they were valued members, why not send them a private message (wherever they are) and invite them back...?

Liked

You're quite right Bruce, Sawatdee's longevity is pretty amazing, evidenced by it's weird twists and turns along the way. Indeed, the search engine is a great mine.
    The very first incarnation (before either the EZboard or this one, the phpBB version) was called Sawatdee Forum and was under the very old fashioned 'tree' style of message board. That was in 2001, so it's been a long and interesting haul since then.
    Sawatdee has had 4 different owners, but in fact, very few moderators.
    I wonder how long it will continue?: back in the old days the social media tentacles had not yet grown so all encompassing and pervasive.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    You're quite right Bruce, Sawatdee's longevity is pretty amazing, evidenced by it's weird twists and turns along the way. Indeed, the search engine is a great mine.
    The very first incarnation (before either the EZboard or this one, the phpBB version) was called Sawatdee Forum and was under the very old fashioned 'ladder' style of message board. That was in 2001, so it's been a long and interesting haul since then.
    Sawatdee has had 4 different owners, but in fact, very few moderators.
    I wonder how long it will continue?: back in the old days the social media tentacles had not yet grown so all encompassing and pervasive.
    Mainstream "social media" sucks. It's so open to everyone.... that, by its nature, it can't ever be a specialized community.... like this forum is. Social media is also so commercial and manipulative of users.... that it feels so *very* spammy. Even if there are ads here, at least they are 100% relevant to the audience.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_nyc
    It should be published into a print coffee table book as an archive.
    I once saw a coffee table book called The Ruins of Khmer, so I suppose one called The Ruins of Pattaya wouldn't be entirely out of place. You wouldn't want your maiden aunt to open it though, would you - it might cause her to upset her cup of coffee.
    [i]There is a boy across the river with a bottom like a peach,
    But alas I cannot swim.
    [/i]
    - From an early-19th-century Pashtun marching song

Liked

Thanks to the wonders of the Wayback machine at archive.org you can also find the Dreadedned Archives going back to 1999
    DN was the original Wild west frontier of the Thai Massageboards!

https://web.archive.org/web/20010609154 ... /index.htm

Around this point was when i started posting Embarrassingly i even find myself asking that awestruck newbie question of how to find IT work in Thailand!
    https://web.archive.org/web/20010609154 ... qa_2001.pl

At least 2 posters on this thread have also contributed to this thread:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20010731214 ... read=16682

I am sure some of you with more time on your hands can root out some gems...
    Maybe someone might even be able to dig up posts from the Original LatinTop type character of the gay forums aka "flashlight" Rick!
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

Thanks Colmx, for finding these deeply-buried links.
    Now that my brain has been tweeked, I do indeed remember that snooker post by PeterUK. He has always been one of the best writers on Sawatdee.
    Noticed that some reprobate on DN used this pithy description of myself: "'Smiles' is a butt wipe". Some things never change.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    ... this pithy description of myself: "'Smiles' is a butt wipe". Some things never change.
    Is that what you see everyday in the mirror?
    I know nothing about you and we probably never met. From the past few months I got back here, I got that you live in HH, from Canada, longterm BF and are not that young anymore.

Smiles, you as a LONGTERM Thailand tourist, after expat, I guess you see thing different then 10 years(=short term tourist/expats).

To not get to the point, because there is none, I enjoy this forum again and many posters, although I not always get your posts/humor/message which ever it is you are "selling".

I do agree with one thing and that is your signature, CHEERS!
    Yesterday had a very long afternoon nap (happens to old people), so could not sleep night time. No problem got me computer, internet, movies/series (torrents) and 7-11 had me bottle and ice.

Darn wanted to end with a drinking drunk smilie, but not have here, so I downloaded one, hope it works [attachment=0:2oqo0d0d]drunk-smiley-emoticon.gif[/attachment:2oqo0d0d]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [B][COLOR=#0000ff][SIZE=3]Life has no remote.[/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]Get up and change it yourself.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]