List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Whatsap with Sawatdee Gay Thailand?

Liked

Re: Whatsap with Sawatdee Gay Thailand?

Quote Originally Posted by kommentariat
    Quote Originally Posted by firecat69
    And let's not forget to compare 4 Star Hotels with 4 Star Hotels instead of picking a 3 Star Hotel in Melbourne.
    I've applied the usual Pattaya Discount - reduce by at least 25% but preferably 50% any rating in Pattaya to find its equivalent in the real world. Hence 4 stars really means 3 or even 2 stars
    Totally ridiculous. These are not independent ratings but ratings by the Mecure Chain. Trip advisor agrees . The dump you try to compare it to in Melbourne is not even close. And since Scotty seems to think he is getting good value for his upgraded room, breakfast etc and he has sampled other Hotels in the chain, I guess it is probably good value.

I also notice you have nothing to say about your ridiculous rate comparisons by picking inferior rooms without breakfast and no refunds.I'm still holding my breath! HaHa

Liked

The deluxe rooms at the Mercure in Pattaya are not especially luxurious or spacious - but they are easily comfortable enough for 2 people, have a balcony, good air-con, are spotlessly clean, everything works (no broken lights etc - which is something that severly pisses me off in a hotel), and they're free of cockroaches (I can not sleep in a room where i've spotted even a single cockroach). There's also no problem with joiners at night (I always have BF with me anyway, but others in our party bring boys back without any hassle) - provided they have ID. There is a sign at the elevators telling you they have zero-tolerance regarding underage, but that's fair enough.

The pool is nice to sit around and the hotel bar is friendly and reasonably priced for a couple of drinks before going out in the evening - and a shuttle bus whisks you (free) to and from the entrance to BT as many times a day as you like.

In short, it's all that I want and I've been content to pay ┬г50 a night including breakfasts etc although I do note that the rates at the Mercure seem to be dropping - but maybe that's happening generally.

Having said all that I'm considering re-visting the Welcome Plaza next time as I hear it's been refurbished and it used to be my hotel of choice before it got so dilapidated that it became unclean. The breakfast offering is very poor tho - more like a canteen than a restaurant - so I generally went Room Only there. I also found that by booking directly with the hotel (at very little increase over the booking websites) I always avoided any issue with joiners, whereas I witnessed others who had used discount websites being hit with a joiner fee. Well, that's the explanation I was given by one of the bell boys anyway.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    There is a noticeable dearth of topics about The Rest of Thailand on Sawatdee these days.
    These are covered in my and llz's blog, gay venues and general sightseeing.

Nobody mentioned that some posters might have gotten a life. I can only speak for myself: when I was employed, I had plenty of time to read all forums and post every day. But now, without job, I haste from one trip to the next, with barely enough time to catch up on forums and write a few posts for my blog.

These are not independent ratings but ratings by the Mecure Chain
    The Pattaya Discount refers to the discount to be applied because it's located in a cesspit

Liked

Steady on, Kommie - it's a bit harsh calling Pattaya a cesspit.

Have you ever visited Blackpool, UK?

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy
    Have you ever visited Blackpool, UK?
    I do have some standards Scotty

Nice Hotel. Now just imagine staying at a Mecure Hotel in most of the Western world or NZ, Au. etc . You would spend many times your current budget for lodging.
    Firecat seems challenged to come up with evidence of Mercure hotels in Australia where Scotty (or anybody else) would spend "many times" (firecat's word) 50 Euros. What would "many times" actually mean for those who don't struggle with the English language? At least 5 or 6 times seems a reasonable approximation of "many times".

Here's another Mercure property in Melbourne (yes, still Australia) that charges 115 Euro (131 US) for bed and breakfast. That's ... um, er, let me get out my calculator ... 2.3 times the Pattaya rate. Is 2.3 "many times"? Not for those of us who speak English as our first language. Over to firecat.