Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Jimmy First and Pinnacle

Re: Jimmy First and Pinnacle

Nothing yet, Richatd? Far be it from me to suggest your self-righteousness has lead you to infer something the plain meaning of the words does not support?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dinagam
    Bruce,
    To protect your interest, it would be a good idea to make two bookings, firstly for the first night, and the second one for subsequent nights.
    If for any reason you're not satisfied on first impression, you could always get back to booking.com to change to another property on the second booking.
    Their rates are definitely lower than hotel's rack rates, or walk-in rates even with discounts thrown in.
    But I think I would have to pay in advance, or at least provide a credit card in advance, for the additional nights. No?

If I book directly I can often book for as many nights as I want without paying in advance. Some hotels will require a credit card to guarantee for a late check in. ..... only if I plan to arrive after 6 p.m. But they would never charge me more than one night if I don't show up.

Once a hotel in New York City tried to charge me an "early check out fee" because I only stayed there one night. I told off the manager and they reversed the charge. ( The reason I was checking out after only one night is because the hotel was horrible. )
    check out http://gaysexthailand.com every day

Liked

bruce,
    you don't have to pay in advance, but your credit card will be billed if you don't show up.
    you only pay by cash or cards upon checking in.
    this is when the two bookings come in handy.

if for any reason you don't like the hotel or neighborhood, you can use the second booking to change to another property and quarter... again no advance payment.
    those with lots of cash to launder will find this arrangement to be very convenient indeed.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

But if I must give them my credit card..... and they charge me if I cancel.... That's pretty much the same as charging me in advance. No?

I'd rather reserve a room directly with a hotel.... with no credit card offered. Then confirm or cancel later, once I know for sure.... like the morning of the check-in day.
    check out http://gaysexthailand.com every day

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_nyc
    But if I must give them my credit card..... and they charge me if I cancel.... That's pretty much the same as charging me in advance. No?
    I'm pretty certain that none of them charge your credit card, even a cent, until either you check in or you fail to check in and they then try to charge it.

I always give them a number - hell, why piss them off - but it's the number of a card I gave up some years back. They don't refer to that card when I do check in, as I've already got one to hand over. They can only verify that it's a valid, unexpired card (as opposed to a valid credit card number - there are well known algorithms to check that) when they try to charge something to it. It's a technique that has never failed me. As in so many things in life, it's a game of bluff and you only have to know how to play it

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kommentariat
    I'm pretty certain that none of them charge your credit card, even a cent, until either you check in or you fail to check in and they then try to charge it....They can only verify that it's a valid, unexpired card (...) when they try to charge something to it.
    I'm pretty certain most businesses, including hotels, that accept credit/debit cards know how to make an authorisation hold or a pre-authorisation (there are many different terms used for the same concept) against a credit/debit card without making an actual charge to check that the card is valid and has funds available - it is part of the basic fundamentals of credit card transactions!

they may make this for just the charge for one night for a multi-night booking or even for just $1, or even do a pre-authorisation on check-in against possible mini-bar expenses, trashing the room, etc, or they may not bother if they perceive the risk is minimal for a particular booking

how much they do the pre-authorisation for, and how long they take to release it are a common bone of contention for customers

bkkguy
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

Liked

I have used jimmy a lot over the years. But like many others stopped when he became too much of a hassle. I also felt sorry for him and tried him again last week. I got a very good deal and he was reasonably quick in replying. It is also easier to pay him as he has a desk in the lobby and is usually there