Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What happened to Rush's blog?

Liked

Re: What happened to Rush's blog?

There are significant inconsitencies in the linked article which raise doubts as to whether it's the "right" person.

However, assuming it is - as a447 rightly says, Rush will be missed. RIP

We should also be discreet - I'm not sure how the American press behaves, but if it's anything like the UK tabloids then the last thing his mother needs is to be confronted with his predilections and online "alter-ego".

Maybe Surfcrest might consider removing the links (and my foolish mention of the surname) - and since he clearly had business dealings with Rush, perhaps he can confirm his demise or otherwise?
    okay

Liked

According to the article Russell lived with his 90 yo mother for the past 10 years. Is it possible that Rush was not Russell or possible that Rush lived a fantasy life on-line? Did anyone ever meet him? Was his bf a real person that anyone met? Did he ever live in Bangkok?

Not surprising if that were the truth since there are others on this forum who are not whom they present themselves.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    According to the article Russell lived with his 90 yo mother for the past 10 years. Is it possible that Rush was not Russell or possible that Rush lived a fantasy life on-line? Did anyone ever meet him? Was his bf a real person that anyone met? Did he ever live in Bangkok?

Not surprising if that were the truth since there are others on this forum who are not whom they present themselves.
    This all seems more or less what I've known of Russ through Russ himself. The more his stories bloomed, the more real they became...or perhaps they were real all along and became more real in their telling. I can remove the surname, I never knew it until now...I did know him privately as Russ.

I always expected him to drop back one day after another crazy adventure. I find some of my Sawatdee friends do that from time to time. I also knew it might someday lead to this story, again based on what little he's shared with me over the years. He was like the tenant that lived in the apartment over the garage, with the private entrance and no need for rent. It was my pleasure to host the bangkokbois in the final years

Surfcrest

Liked

If you read his blog, he never claimed to be living in Thailand. He visited, mainly for business, and documented his extra-curricular activities whilst there, along with his photography and opinions on everything from sports to monks and his long-distance relationship with Noom. Just because someone acts as a primary caregiver, doesn't mean they don't get to have a life outside of that role too.

Senior member RonanTheBarbarian's Avatar
    Liked

Now it has been confirmed, I would like to add my words of regret at Russ's passing.

His blog, while occasionally it could be a bit aggravating to some perhaps, never failed to amuse.
    Some of his stories, such as the one about introducing a couple of his friends to the delights of Chiang Mai,or dealing with the dragon
    -woman Chinese jewellery dealer in Bangkok, will stick in my memory.

And he could take a good photo as well.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

missed seeing the original request for donations, but left wondering what may have happened
    between then,the end of his blogging, and his recent demise around Thanksgiving of this year.

Guess we already know more than we were actually entitled to though.
    Learned a lot from his blog.

Wonder if Noom has found out? I hope he is well.

(borrowed from his blog)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi

If you read his blog, he never claimed to be living in Thailand. He visited, mainly for business, and documented his extra-curricular activities whilst there, along with his photography and opinions on everything from sports to monks and his long-distance relationship with Noom. Just because someone acts as a primary caregiver, doesn't mean they don't get to have a life outside of that role too.
    You are quite right Tobi. I was not a regular reader of his blog so was not knowledgeable of any of his personal business nor his relationship with Noom. Many of his blogs were so interesting and informative I just assumed he was a long term resident of Bangkok. His writings were so descriptive of persons and adventures and witty especially the Turtle Ass Awards it seemed he personally knew his subjects. He once wrote a type of obituary for the oldest performing kathoey in Bangkok that was wonderful, yet his own obit was nothing more than his age and date of his death.

One article I did find mentioned he was self employed and sold wind chimes and jewelry. There was even a photo of him. If anyone interested they can PM me.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest
    I believe his domain name has now expired, although his site continues to live on as an off shoot of the Sawatdee Network until I finally pull the pin on it some day.
    (my underline)
    What a weird idea! If anything prevents you from further hosting of bangkokbois, raise the issue here and I'm sure the membership will come up with a solution to keep bangkokbois online.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest
    . I can remove the surname, I never knew it until now...I did know him privately as Russ.
    Surfcrest
    It seems likely that his on-line name Rush may have been a combo of first and last name, RUS+H.

Liked

It seems likely that his on-line name Rush may have been a combo of first and last name, RUS+H.
    He was a very interesting man, very articulate. We may never know why he chose the user name Rush, Yet Again.
    Russ dropped off the radar map back in April of this year...I was helping him get back online after his domain name expired.
    He told me that his computer went on the fritz, that he hadn't been well and he needed a little time to plug Bangkokbois back online.
    When this thread started on July 13th I sent him an email with the link to the thread.
    I never heard from him.

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc
    (my underline)
    What a weird idea! If anything prevents you from further hosting of bangkokbois, raise the issue here and I'm sure the membership will come up with a solution to keep bangkokbois online.
    Excellent question Christian. Bangkokbois still remains on our server and connected to the Sawatdee Network. When Rush and the Bangkokbois were suspended from Wordpress hosting, I moved them over to the Sawatdee Network and just put a re-direct on the http://www.bangkokbois-gay-thailand-blog.com URL. If I could redirect that URL back to the Sawatdee Network, you should be able to view it as before, although there won't be any new updates.

When I dissolve the Network, move us from our current unshared server and disconnect the WP Pro, only Sawatdee Network will remain. Bangkokbois is part of the WP Pro package. Until that happens, Bangkokbois can still be viewed here at: http://bangkokbois.sawatdeenetwork.com/

I can't imagine the new owner or administrator wanting to keep the WP Pro with the extra monthly costs and the amount of space it eats up. If I pass the site over to someone new before I detach the WP Pro, it will be up to the new administrator to decide if he wants to keep it or not. It does require a certain amount of time to maintain and then there's the monthly costs of it.

That's where it may be complicated to keep, but I'll think about other options in the meantime.

Surfcrest