Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And The Heat Goes On And On And On

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

And The Heat Goes On And On And On

After living in Pattaya for coming up on 12 years this season has been the hottest I've experienced with the daily heat index hovering around 37C or 99F and the drought continues bringing no relief. The evenings offer little no relief as the humidity increases (I'm in Pattaya) and find myself running some quick errands daily and returning drenched to the joys of a well air conditioned condo. I thought as one ages the heat is less of an issue not so with me; I hear Bangkok is hotter but they do get the occasional rain shower, could global warming be for real?

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Re: And The Heat Goes On And On And On

It's been pretty decent here lately -- generally mid 30s during the day, plus we've been getting a decent amount of rain so that helps keep it cool. The hottest part of the year is thankfully over now.

What's your alcohol consumption like? If it's high, try going 2 or 3 weeks without a single drink, and I bet you'll notice you sweat less and can handle the heat much better. If it's by chance really high, you may want to see a doctor before stopping, as alcohol withdrawals can be fatal.

Are you overweight? If so, maybe try to drop some pounds. There's a reason most Asians are skinny. Being fat here just doesn't work.

What's your diet like? If you're by chance eating a bunch of pizza, fried chicken and greasy burgers, that's only going to make the heat 10 times worse. Make sure you get lots of greens, and switch over to things like chicken caesar salads, fish, shrimp, etc. Clogging up your system with a bunch of fatty foods is not good for weather like this.

Another thing you could maybe try is only use air-con in the bedroom, and fans in the living room. It'll help you acclimatize.

Liked

Excellent advice Matt, I drink a bit back home but only rarely now while in Thailand and I've found myself much more comfortable in the heat.

Another important one that I see a lot of people get wrong is with materials. Loose fitted cotton materials breathe a lot better than polyesters or synthetic materials.

If you use a moisturizer for your skin back home, switch to powder when you are in Thailand. A moisturizer will prevent your skin from breathing. The boys will tell you "it's good" when they see it in your bathroom.

Surfcrest

[attachment=0:3ie0oejw]Snake Brand.jpg[/attachment:3ie0oejw]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked

Hotter then Hell in Isan last week, at least near Sakon Nakhon. "Real feel" temp of 111 degrees Fahrenheit when I checked one day after feeling particularly wilted. Also, pretty dry lately and rice crop suffering from lack of rain.

I actually found Pattaya pretty comfortable for this time of year, but maybe I was having too much fun to notice?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest
    Another important one that I see a lot of people get wrong is with materials. Loose fitted cotton materials breathe a lot better than polyesters or synthetic materials.
    heh... issue is, Thais are very opinionated on outwards appearance, and how you dress. Can't leave the house looking like a slob, type of thing.

I always have an extra set of clothes at the ready, hanging from one of the chairs in my office. They generally consist of long jeans, and a heavy shirt, so I look proper while out and about. Whenever I leave, even if it's just for a quick 5 mins, I throw that set of clothes on. When I get back home, first thing I always do is strip down and throw on my other clothes -- generally a pair of basketball shorts and a loose fitting shirt that breathes easily. Might not look quite as respectable, but I don't care, it's more comfortable.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    When I get back home, first thing I always do is strip down and throw on my other clothes -- generally a pair of basketball shorts and a loose fitting shirt that breathes easily. Might not look quite as respectable, but I don't care, it's more comfortable.
    Do you go commando, it's more comfortable ?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    When I get back home, first thing I always do is strip down and throw on my other clothes -- generally a pair of basketball shorts and a loose fitting shirt that breathes easily. Might not look quite as respectable, but I don't care, it's more comfortable.
    What's wrong with the membership of this forum? What kind of comment is that to make?

Liked

Relax matt, it's just another way of keeping cool in hot weather. Just some advice such as was given by you on alcohol consumption, over eating, bad diet plus others' advice on prickly heat powder and cotton clothing.
    A true kilt wearing Scotsman knows the advantage.

Liked

Very hot and very humid here in Hua Hin. Great big black clouds over the city this afternoon ... everyone expected a downpour but didn't happen as it drifted out over the gulf, miserly.
    I've been 'Going Mexican' since I got back and take a daily siesta around 2 in the afternoon with the bedroom aircon on and a jug of cold water beside the bed. Doing so revitalizes the spirit and rehydrates the body.
    Being back in Canada in May it was also extremely hot this year, one day I had a quite nasty bout of heat exhaustion ... it wasn't pretty. I learned a good lesson on that one.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    What's wrong with the membership of this forum? What kind of comment is that to make?
    I thought it was fabulous.