Oh yes, just when I got over that Mary Pearce thing along came Mauresmo, the French are desperate to remain at the top, sending all their best men out to the ladies tournaments.
The other thing about Pearce is that she had emotional baggage, I dont know the full story, but her father also mistook her for the cow you spoke of, and apparently milked her for every penny, that and other unsavoury bovine fetishes of his, left her permanently disaffected.

Ok none of this was her fault, but she kept up those appearances way beyond the limit of most human endurance, only the French had more, and rightly as you say, cheated her way to at least winning one tournament even if it was their own.
So desperate were the French to have their permanently hard put upon Mary win something, that I think they fed her contaminated relative in the form of a mad cow. As a consequence her shoulders were so broad that they had to reconstruct Charles De Gaulle just getting her to Wimbledon. All of this just to see her tearful return, and return at least ten times over. The joys of womans tennis.

I think the Belgian phenomena is none other than a pure fluke to be honest, both Justine and Kim came up at exactly the same time. But personaly I always thought that Belgian tennis was underrated , having spent two years of my life there and having learnt to play there I can only say they have excellent coaches and facility for such a small country.