Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Aussie men pistol whipped , tasered and extorted in Bali

Liked

Aussie men pistol whipped , tasered and extorted in Bali

Breaking news Sunday night Full report here

http://www.theage.com.au/national/melbo ... htpyy.html

This is the last 4 paras ----

After more than 24 hours in custody, two men were dispatched to withdraw about $250 million Indonesian rupiah (more than $A25,000) on behalf of the group from several different automatic teller machines in Kuta and Seminyak. They were chaperoned by the translator and an armed police officer.

Once the bribe was paid, the men were released but the entire group missed their return flights to Melbourne.

Most of Mr Ipaviz's friends are unlikely to return to Bali. Some are still unsettled or angered by the experience, with at least one member of the group seeking counselling.

"I get (that) when you're in a foreign country you play by their rules. What we did was pretty minor compared to what happens in Kuta every night. But the way we were treated was completely over the top. I'll never go back," a source said.

Despite the island's obvious allure, 48 Australians died while on holidays in the financial year 2013/14, while 118 fell ill or were admitted to hospital, according to the most recent figures from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

Re: Aussie men pistol whipped , tasered and extorted in Bali

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    Breaking news Sunday night Full report here
    http://www.theage.com.au/national/melbo ... htpyy.html
    I am not really sure what the intentions of this post were? To knock Bali? Well the Fairfax press do that regularly, over-sensationalising anything they can! As they say never let the truth ruin a good story!

Remember Schappelle Corby? From the now known the drug family of Queensland, poor innocent little Schappelle! Even the constant Fairfax [The Age and SMH] reports of the so-called reaction to the execution of the Bali 9 druggies have not affected tourism to Bali from Australia [just try to book an airline ticket, even at the exorbitant OZ-Bali prices....e.g. I have a MAS Bali-BKK [full service] return next month, 4 hours flying time, for $US220, similar to Sydney [5 hours] August a special DISCOUNTED low season when it is cold and wet, was $880 on zero service Jetstar]. Every month this year has been another record of OZ tourists to Bali....where is the so-called backlash???

As an Australian living in Bali for the past 16 years I am sick of the never ending groups of low life Aussie tourists who continue to come to Bali and act as they would not dare to at home, no more than drunken louts, whether they be from working class, middle class and even the so called successful new money breed [as this group obviously was]. Please send them back to Fiji, we do not want them here! If they carried on like that in Thailand they would soon learn what heavy-handed police are really like!

Liked

Well said danny99, too many twats go to Bali thinking they can carry on any way they want and when things go sour it's one big complaint, Bali is a wonderful place with lots of wonderful people and as soon as the drunken idiots stop abusing the place the better. This was a bucks party so I will assume they were drinking copious amounts of alcohol and were quite loud, boistrous and carrying on like drunks do.

Liked

Good thing I'm not in the mood to highjack this thread.
    But the thought did cross my mind. B-)
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Let's face it anyone who is a "marketing consultant and former model" probably deserves whipping, and as for extortion, I thought that's the point of marketing

Liked

And I'd like to know " ... what happens on Kuta every night ... ".
    Details?
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

Since the UK stopped transporting their unwanted criminals there, the quality of Australian society seems to have gone into freefall

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    And I'd like to know " ... what happens on Kuta every night ... ".
    Details?
    Kuta was the 90's, only the dregs still go there. Class tourists prefer Ubud with some visits to the restaurants of Seminyak/Kerobokan, although those in Ubud are now amongst the best. All hotel/villa/restaurant staff in Ubud are from local very traditional Balinese villages, maybe nopt quite as professional as in the south but all very natural and with that famous 'Bali smile'. Further to the north-east is Amed a fishing village where the natives are very friendly and, as the locals say, 'have big bananas', or as the foreigners say 'very Karang Asem' similar to the Isaan imports to Bangkok.

Liked

Danny, where do you go to see these "big bananas" in Amed? Better still, where can I get my hands on them? I wouldn't imagine there would be any gay places in a fishing village so where do they all meet up for fun?

I'd like to give it a try.