Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corner Bar Still Open?

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Corner Bar Still Open?

The Corner bar has been closed for several days don't know what is happening there however considering they rarely have any customers it might be more cost effective to stay closed.

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Re: Corner Bar Still Open?

I have never really 'gotten' the Corner Bar story.

Trying hard here to remember ... but I believe I have taken chair at Corner Bar perhaps four or five times over the years, but not once in the last two or three years. (Background: I don't live in Pattaya/Jomtien and visit, perhaps 2 or 3 times a year on average ~ never more than that ~ to visit friends who live in Jomtien).
    Walking up and down and around Sunnee Plaza it seems to me that Corner Bar ~ or whatever it's name is now ~ has pretty well the best location in the joint sitting how it does on the corner of the little connecting soi between the two main drags. Lounging around at the end of the bar on the connecting soi one can view the comings and goings of just about everybody and the view there provides a look at and inside of at least 5 or 6 other, small host bars.
    My last visit to Corner, 2 or 3 years ago, the place was, not crowded, but reasonably well-attended, and that was in early evening around 9pm. The place seemed mildly busy and the owner (pointed out to me) seemed happy-faced and congenial to customers. Carousing around the plaza for awhile I came back in circle to Corner Bar about an hour later and it was noticeably busier.

So what's the problem with this place? When did it start to recede into the limelight? When did it's excellent location seem to be unable to populate the place? Is it a management-gone-bad story? Has The Balmy Army ~ Gaybutton & Friends (?) ~ settled into new digs ... and if so, why? Would that be enough to start the slide into oblivion? Was it the lack of boys (which was noticeable, but I do not think The Corner ever thought of itself as a host bar)? What would bring it back?
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons
    The Corner bar has been closed for several days don't know what is happening there however considering they rarely have any customers it might be more cost effective to stay closed.
    If i remember correctly, The Corner Bar has been renamed Double Shot?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    I have never really 'gotten' the Corner Bar story.
    So what's the problem with this place? When did it start to recede into the limelight? When did it's excellent location seem to be unable to populate the place? Is it a management-gone-bad story? Has The Balmy Army ~ Gaybutton & Friends (?) ~ settled into new digs ... and if so, why? Would that be enough to start the slide into oblivion? Was it the lack of boys (which was noticeable, but I do not think The Corner ever thought of itself as a host bar)? What would bring it back?
    Previously the Corner Bar was owned by an American, Michael aka Crabby who was very convivial and was a big draw for customers. After he returned to USA it went into ownership of a least one or two Europeans either German or Belgian? The most recent owner renamed it Double Shot (two drinks for the price of one) and redecorated the place. The so called Barmy Army (not Balmy) regrouped and relocated their headquarters to All of Me Bar run by another American. Gaybutton perhaps was a solider in the Army but not their Commander-in-Chief; their leader was Mr.Who?, who's identity remains a closely guarded secret.
    Why Double Shot remains virtually empty may have many reasons. For me there was never a "double shot" just a single drink priced more than anywhere else. No reason to go there. Now just a vanity bar for the current, absentee owner. As for receding from the limelight, just the opposite happened. It was somewhat dark and cozy but now illuminated in some sort of hideous blue lighting. :AR!

What would bring it back? Crabby.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Yes Francois it is now Double shot, and remains closed.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

It should be noted that the Belgian owner in the nicest possible way couldn't give a flying fuck what any of us think or whats needed to be done to make his bar more popular, he bought his bar for HIM and his friends as a late night drinking hole for them to play loud Belgian music and wave white handkerchiefs about to when pissed - and fair play to him for that, if there's ever a reason to buy a bar that's it ! IF other customers come in and enjoy then alls the better and they are certainly welcome, but on his terms and if you don't like HIS bar then fuck off somewhere else as he certainly doesn't need our money as he is by all accounts fucking LOADED ! :-)

When it first opened it actually was great fun and I'd some brilliant nights in there and worked my way through most of the so called "straight" and non offable bar boys, but the staff all changed, it got a bit TOO straight hard edged bar boys (IMHO), one of the bar staff was stabbed one night in it, the owner fell out and sacked his ( very good) manager, who then went and opened up round the corner against him, then the staff walked out enmasse on him over wages and then the owner got sick and had to return to Europe for a while meaning the bar opened and closed several days back and forward without notice and so the place just drifted into a gradual decline - and all that said, its still there and ( I thought) was still opened occasionally and we shouldn't forget the first rule - the owner in the nicest possible way couldn't care less what we think or whether we drink there or not.

Liked

Nirish has pretty well summed it up.
    It's a confusing place though because it's a private- club -type venue operating as a public bar.
    And yes, most of us have gotten the message and have in fact fucked off somewhere else.
    This blend of garish lighting, private playground and listless, idle , staff makes for a strange ambience and does little for the neighborhood but as already stated it looks likes the owner couldn't care less and likes to be the smiling, public, private man.
    It takes all types....

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons
    it might be more cost effective to stay closed.
    I don't think 'cost effective' is part of the owners business plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy
    It should be noted that the Belgian owner in the nicest possible way couldn't give a flying fuck what any of us think
    Quote Originally Posted by thaiguest
    listless, idle , staff makes for a strange ambience and does little for the neighborhood
    yes I agree about the owner and his clear indifference to the bar being a viable successful business or not , but I disagree that it does little for the neighbourhood. When it is closed it certainly does little as it darkens that whole corner on two (large) sides, when it is open it brightens the area and gives it a vibrant feel, as well as making the area look much better. While most of the staff are listless and lazy at times, there are a couple of hard working waiters who are great company. One in particular is a lovely guy, delighted when he gets a drink and is very attentive. He has even given me a lift on his motocy back to my room or to Wat Chai in the early hours on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    For me there was never a "double shot" just a single drink priced more than anywhere else
    Not so fast there monsieur! If drinking bottled beer, you may be correct in that it works out dearer than most of the bars in Sunee, but the 'double shot' is most definitely a Double spirit for sure. I drink either Gin/Tonic or Vodka/Coke there and I cannot drink the measure served in a single glass as it is just too strong to enjoy, also you get the full freshly opened can of mixer, the guys there know me and I always get an extra empty glass which I split the measure into. So for the (I think) Bt140 for spirits I get two full strong drinks, if so that works out at Bt70 each, cheaper than most Sunee bars.

Also the times it is open, if you fancy a very late drink it is usually open well into the early hours.

The waiter I know best there told me the owner (jokingly?) calls the servers kee-nieow/cheap if he sees them serving anything less than a double+ measure.

Hope it opens sooner rather than later, it would be a miss for the area if it closed permanently.

Liked

Monsieur Fran├зois only drinks the finest vintage Mont Clair and was served only one glass at about 140 Baht at Double Shot. Maybe they considered their glass a double ? Other bistros serve the same amount for about 80-90 Baht.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

When Doubleshot opened, it had at least 9 or 10 host boys in same coloured shirts.
    They were paid the highest wages of any boy bar in Thailand. That all changed in time.
    With Krazy Dragon, Crazy Pub and Doubleshot all closed, that part of Sunee Plaza
    looks forlorn.