Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How bad is narcissism today?

How bad is narcissism today?

I posted recently about the foolish girl who was so engrossed in her mobile phone that the lift doors opened, closed and left her behind. You'll know the song and of course fools did rush in: "you think the world revolves around you" trumpeted Surfcrest. Richard (aka. Brad the Impala) and Jonah (aka. a447) weren't far behind. All fabulous stuff and justifying my practice of Dadaism (Dadaists among other things regard taking oneself seriously as the ultimate sin). I'm interested only in having fun and if that's at, for example, Surfcrest's, Richard or Jonah's expense, all the better :AR!

However, I digress. The NY Times columnist David Brooks has published a book on the narcissism of our age: The Road to Character. Did you know that the percentage of American teenagers who believe themselves to be "very important" jumped from 12 percent in 1950 to 80 percent in 2005? Me neither. Reviews can be found here and here

I particularly like the headline in the second review "You are not special". Perhaps Brooks should have made a study of a447 for this book. Remember that this is a Forum where very, very few of us know each other in day-to-day life, in the flesh. Our reputations are meaningless - or at least mine is to me. Yet a447 started and devoted an entire thread to "me me me". And what was it about? People he's never met and never will meet could think him the sort of person who might go on holiday with me. Zounds. Surely that's the wrong question? Why would I trouble myself letting someone like him tag along? Yet I did! =))

And then to cap it all, once Surfcrest like the reluctant bride was dragged kicking and screaming to the altar of an amendment to the Posting Guidelines (the "Sook" Amendment), after protesting (multiple times) "It's not about kommentariat" in his "me me me" thread, a447 turned it around and it became "all about kommentariat" culminating in this classic piece of complete humourlessness:
    Satirical posts by one poster about another without his permission should be banned
    You couldn't make it up

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: How bad is narcissism today?

Quote Originally Posted by kommentariat
    You couldn't make it up
    And yet apparently you do - LOTS !

So, just for clarification did you go on holiday with A447 or not then, he states not and you still seem to be claiming that you did so obviously one of you is lying - is it you ?

Liked

Remember that this is a Forum where very, very few of us know each other in day-to-day life, in the flesh. =))
    I know at least 6 members on this Forum; not a lot but hope to meet some more as time and our paths cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy
    You couldn't make it up
    And yet apparently you do - LOTS !

So, just for clarification did you go on holiday with A447 or not then, he states not and you still seem to be claiming that you did so obviously one of you is lying - is it you ?
    John 18:38

Forum's veteran
    Liked

What is truth ....in this case I imagine it's quite simple - even though you seem to be having some problem with giving just a straight answer to the straight forward, simple question of "so did you go on holiday with A447 as you claimed or not" - it's really not that difficult a question to answer I would have thought ?

Liked

" ... culminating in this classic piece of complete humourlessness:
    "Satirical posts by one poster about another without his permission should be banned"
    I do agree with that. The 'Jon Stewart' world view (i.e. AKA the Cosmic Giggle) died here on Sawatdee with that one unfortunate sentence.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy
    What is truth ....in this case I imagine it's quite simple - even though you seem to be having some problem with giving just a straight answer to the straight forward, simple question of "so did you go on holiday with A447 as you claimed or not" - it's really not that difficult a question to answer I would have thought ?
    Life is full of disappointments don't you find?

Liked

Kommie, I think you must be asking the question in the thread title whilst looking in the mirror. You, of all people,asking about narcissism!

I mean, who else on the forum would create a thread with the grandiose title "Personal announcement"?

And look at your OP here.

The first paragraph is all about you trying to explain the reason for your mundane post about a girl waiting for a lift. It's to get you of the hook. When others laugh at you, you always defend yourself by saying the post was just a joke. It's always a "joke" after the fact.

You go on to tell us that you practise Dadaism (who cares?), you don't take yourself seriously (lol), you're only interested in having fun (who cares what you're interested in?).

Yep, it's all about you.

Why else would you make so many posts here, day after day? You want to be noticed. You want members to read about your opinions - on every topic under the sun.

Why else would you spend your time chasing me all over the forum every day? Those posts are not really about me - they're all about you. They are about you trying to make yourself feel better after being so publicly humiliated back in December. Remember this?

http://sawatdeenetwork.com/forum/pos...20days#p295333

You still haven't gotten over it!

And let's not forget your determination to have us believe you're a university professor....lol. The only reason you mentioned that is to boost your ever-increasing ego. Yep, it's all about you again. Look at me! I'm a university professor and you're not!

But then, neither are you. You posted that you were recently a visiting professor at the University of Queensland. However, a quick check of their website shows that is a lie. Over the past 18 months they've had many visiting processors from overseas. Unfortunately for your story, none was from the UK.

So, will that story now be another "joke" after the fact? Lol

You once attributed a very witty comment to yourself by not using quotation marks. It was all about you - you trying to look witty and knowledgeable. Remember? A university professor who doesn't know how to use quotation marks and is unaware of the rules regarding referencing source materials. How.....odd.

And I can't see why you'd be bemoaning the disappearance of satire on this board. According to the definitions of satire posted on this board by Fountainhall, your trip reports didn't fit the definition! Apparently, you don't know what satire is! Yourof all people! A university professor! Fancy that!

If I were you, I'd have a quick word in the ear of your "literary colleague" and admonish him for leaving you hanging out to dry on the issue!

Lol

A truly incisive post by Jonah. I must read it sometime.

Liked

If you've come to the conclusion that it is "truly incisive" then yes, perhaps you should.

Lol