Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LGBT activists shatter myth of LGBT-friendly Thailand

Liked

LGBT activists shatter myth of LGBT-friendly Thailand

LGBT activists shatter myth of LGBT-friendly Thailand
    Submitted by editor2 on Fri, 15/05/2015

LGBT activists from all walks of life point out that discrimination against LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender) is still prevalent in Thailand although the Asian country promotes itself as a paradise for all sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions (SOGIE).

UNESCO and the International Labour Organisation (ILO) on Thursday afternoon organised a public discussion entitled тАШBreaking the Continuum of Discrimination and Violence in Education and EmploymentтАЩ to present findings about discrimination against LGBT in schools and workplaces in Thailand.

The discussion was organised as a part of a week-long event to celebrate International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia, and Biphobia (IDAHOT) which will be on 17 May. It was held at the Bangkok Art and Culture Centre.

At the event, panellists who are active members and activists in the LGBT communities in Thailand shared their experience with the audience on the discrimination which they have experienced because of their SOGIE...... (read more)....

http://prachatai.org/english/node/5065

Re: LGBT activists shatter myth of LGBT-friendly Thailand

Only those who go around with their eyes shut could possibly believe that Bangkok is LGBT-friendly outside the Silom/Suriwong ghetto

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Up2U
    LGBT activists from all walks of life point out that discrimination against LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender) is still prevalent in Thailand although the Asian country promotes itself as a paradise for all sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions
    I doubt the accuracy of that last part. As far as I am aware Thailand does not promote itself "as a paradise for all sexual orientations". The tourism authority has certainly used taxpayers money to promote itself as a vacation destination to gay communities in some countries. It has never, in my experience, touted Thailand as a paradise where sexual equality reigns or where an LGBT lifestyle is even acceptable to society as a whole.

The fact is that on the surface Thailand is generally a welcoming and tolerant society where those in the LGBT community have a significant visibility. To a certain extent there is acceptance at family level when sons and daughters are able to reveal their sexuality to parents. But beneath this veneer, a deep-rooted anti-LGBT stigma reigns. With Thailand being a deeply conservative society and with little being done in the field of education to change thinking, that is not going to change for a long time to come.

I know a Thai guy around 25 who still is in the closet. He works in a massage shop in Pattaya in his holidays (not gay massage, but I took him to my hotel for sex).
    I asked him "At your age you must get questions from family why you still do not have a girlfriend." He says he does get these questions, but always answers he is busy (he studies business). I think he will feel compelled to marry. Because at a certain age it is too late to come out. I mean if at age 30 you still haven't told it becomes more difficult to do so. Imagine a 70 year old telling his 92 year old dad he is gay. At a certain age you have wasted the opportunity and it has become too weird to come out because you waited too long. I think he will remain in the closet the rest of his life. It is sad. He is a very good person. Very very sad.

But I also know a Thai guy, also from a poor rural background, who clearly on his Facebook likes gay postings, etc. His parents must know. It is so obvious he is gay. He doesn't hide that at all. So both from poor background, and different experiences.

Liked

You can read my thoughts on the subject here: IDAHOT тАУ 17 May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall
    As far as I am aware Thailand does not promote itself "as a paradise for all sexual orientations"
    TAT's advertising slogan for promoting Thailand as a gay destination tries to give that impression - Go Thai Be Free
    Chiang Mai Connoisseur - [url=http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/]www.gayinchiangmai.com[/url] and [url=http://www.bontong.com/]www.bontong.com[/url]

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by BonTong
    TAT's advertising slogan for promoting Thailand as a gay destination tries to give that impression - Go Thai Be Free
    Agreed the new campaign - as against the first one a year or so ago - does tend to give that impression. Still, within the text the main point seems to be "itтАЩs one of the most accepting countries for the LGBT crowd." I doubt if anyone seriously disagrees with that.

However, it then goes a bit further when talking about the Phuket Gay Pride event.

The official theme for this year has been named "Freedom to Live," as a celebration for both residents and tourists of Phuket to be able to come and celebrate their rights to live their lives as they wish, and be proud of yourself as you were born to be.
    I believe that's patently false advertising because there are so many in Thailand who cannot live as they wish - without adverse consequences - or be proud of themselves as they were born to be - without further consequences in jobs, stigma etc. Mind you, it specifically does not state Thailand. It only refers to Phuket. Maybe Phuket is considered more advanced!!

How the TAT advertising promotes Thailand as a tourist destination versus the everyday reality for Thai citizens are two entirely different things. After all, the TAT promotes Thailand as an eco-friendly destination and we know the reality of how Thailand treats its environment. "You got the money, we got the smiles" best sums up their attitude.

Liked

I have two Thai friends who are in the closet.

One early twenties, educated, from a rich family.

The other over 40, uneducated and poor background. He has a Dutch boyfriend who visited him and his family in Srisaket province, and I spent a night there as well. Only this year did I learn that his family doesn't know he is gay, and he introduced his boyfriend and me as acquaintances from his work in a hotel! What a luck I didn't say anything gay in presence of his family!

Liked

Transgender activist takes on Thai university in battle for LGBT rights
    By Saksith Saiyasombut & Siam Voices Jun 08, 2015

тАЬThais like to consume transgender people, but are far from accepting them as equal.тАЭ
    By Alexandra Demetrianova

We met in a park in one of the upcoming hipster areas of Bangkok тАУ Banglamphu. She came in a bright white and blue striped dress and colorful accessories. Kath Khangpiboon is an extravagant person by style, an activist and academic by personality. She has hundreds of followers on social media and on the day we met she had just come out of two days civil society conference talks at the UN headquarters in Bangkok. The co-founder of Thai Transgender Alliance frequently campaigns and publicly speaks on gender issues in Thailand and is a well known figure in LGBT rights movements in Southeast Asia.

Kath has studied and taught at Thammasat University, one of the most liberal universities in Thailand and one that prides itself on being founded on democratic principles. After teaching as an external lecturer at the Faculty of Social Work, where she finished her Bachelor and MasterтАЩs degrees, Kath attempted to become a permanent member of the faculty. Her application was rejected based on тАЬinappropriateтАЭ social media activity and statements. She immediately appealed the decision, saying the rejection amounted to gender discrimination and a crusade by the conservative elements at the university. Kath spoke to Asian Correspondent about her struggle...... (read more)....

http://asiancorrespondent.com/133387/th ... boon-lgbt/

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I get soooo annoyed when I as a gay MAN get lumped in with transgenders/sex change people....I'm a man ...got a penis..love it and want to keep it. Straights also have a wide range of kinks but u never see straight people lumped in the same category as something sightly out of the ordinary.