Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: When does 17 mean 18 ?

Liked

When does 17 mean 18 ?

Maybe someone can help...I staggered back in the early hours to my Hotel in Boys Town from meeting friends who prefer to hang out in Soi 7 area. Very much worse for wear I was approached by what seemed, through my unfocused eyes, to be a nice attractive boy that wanted to come back to my Hotel with me for a very reasonable fee. So why not...Passing by the reception and my new friend handing over his ID certainly did not flag anything untoward. However the following morning with eyes now focused on the beauty in front of me I casually suggested to him that he had a very young body for a boy in his 20's..I assumed that was his age. He informed me at once that he was in fact 17 but not to worry as that actually means 18 !! When I asked how this was he informed me that as he is in the year (presumably Buddhist year) that his 18th birthday will occur he is actually considered to be 18. I am still a free man and walked through the departure immigration with ease so I live another day. Should I have been worried ? My dear mentor Thomas Cromwell once gave very sound advice "Believe No One"
    I did not raise this further with reception as I think least said etc....just curious.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: When does 17 mean 18 ?

Here in Vietnam, you begin your 18th year the day after your 17th birthday, and can do whatever 18 yr olds are permitted to do. Sounds similar to the Thai way of calculating age. So does the Thai minimum age of 18 for consensual sex include those who have celebrated their 17th birthday, but not yet their 18th?

Liked

I am 66 years old and that is my legal age. I am in my 67th year, my Thai bf says I am 67, I explain to him I am 66(legally). If a boy Thai boy tells you he is 18, be sure to check his id because he probably is legally 17 and of course underage.

Liked

The Thais seem to add up ages differently to Westerners.

When they are born, and before their First Birthday, they are considered to be 1. (They dont count the first year in months as we do in the West). Consequently, they are always one year older than their counterparts in the West.

Same same as a building...no ground floor!

Now, you need a legal legal to say whether the age of consent is 18 ...in Thai terms or Western terms.

Liked

Thanks for the input. I would have expected reception to point out his age to me as they are, and I am very pleased they are, quite strict on this for all of our benefit. In this case they were relaxed about it so I never gave it a second thought...I am never in any state to attempt mathematical gymnastics at that time of the morning not to mention I would not have been able to focus on his ID card. Alls well that ends well. At the time of writing I would like to say how nice Toy Boys is these days. Good selection of boys for all tastes I would say.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by egel
    The Thais seem to add up ages differently to Westerners.
    Thais hardly state their ages consistently, certainly when speaking in English. Some may be younger than claimed, others may be one or two years older.

Liked

By the way, I have not been to Pattaya in many years. I have been going solely to Bangkok, but I need a change. What hotel in Boys town did you use. those many years ago I stayed at the Ambience and was delighted by the rooms and appointments. But I have been hearing mixed reviews, Can anyone, please give me a rundown on the gay hotels in Boys town - the Copa looks good. But, I've very unsure

Liked

Yes it was the Ambiance. Can not rate it highly enough. Location, price, security and good clean modern rooms. I love boys Town, in particular Toy Boys bar to finish off an evening but do enjoy the peaceful atmosphere of Sunee Plaza and some of the "no holds bar" attitude of the boy bars, Eros for example. Sunny Boys, I am told is a recreation of Happy Boys, where the boys wear flimsy underwear is very enjoyable where you can get a nice sampler before deciding to "off" a boy. This was my 3rd visit over 3 years and there just seemed to be more boys than before. If I have enough reward points I would normally go to the Marriott Resort which is about 3 blocks away form Boys Town. If I had one particular boy I wanted to stay the week with I would go there but if you want to be mischievous then Ambiance would do it for me. I am sure Copa should be the same. The rooms will be noisy up to 2am but seeing as I never plan to be asleep at that time it never had any effect on me. If you have an early morning flight from BKK then head back there for the night.
    I have never stayed in BKK but would like to just to compare. Happy hunting.

Liked

Going back to the point of the OP I would like to know if the age of consent is different for thai/thai as opposed to foreigner/thai fornication-relationship.

The western method of calculating age sounds logical- we're not 1 year old until we're 1 year outside the womb.

Thais may have their own perception of age but the Thai police will be quiet happy to make you pay up for bedding a 17yr 51wk old young man if they get the chance.

For those out there who may be interested as far as I know every horse is considered to be born in January so some could be almost 1 year younger than their stated age.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by thaiguest
    ........every horse is considered to be born in January so some could be almost 1 year younger than their stated age.
    OMFG - I had no idea - thanks for info.

Next time I take a horse back to my loom, I'll be extra careful in checking the age.

I wouldn't want to run the risk of being branded a pervert.