Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 REASONS CAMBODIA "SHOULD" TOP YOUR GAY TRAVEL WISH LIST

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: 10 REASONS CAMBODIA "SHOULD" TOP YOUR GAY TRAVEL WISH LI

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    My experience dealing with three generations was they always referred to Pol Pot [era] . It is still discussed with passion daily.
    You have jogged my memory and are absolutely correct. Apologies!

I read no other article on that blogsite, but it did remind me of one I saw in May 2013. I know the date because I entered into a correspondence with the editor/publisher, Steve Rohrlick. The blog's name was Gaytravel.com and I took issue with an article purported to have been by a correspondent named Bryan Kosarek who had just visited Bangkok. In a way it was rather like an article Beachlover might have written. Bryan reviewed only two hotels - the St. Regis and the Peninsula, but there was absolutely nothing in the reviews that could not have been found on the hotels' own websites! He talked of visiting a famous spa, but had forgotten its name!! He talked of visiting lots of famous temples but the only one mentioned in the article was the Tiger Temple. That just happens to be located 2 1/2 hours outside the city! In discussing the gay bar scene he mentioned "Snow Cowboy" as a must-see! Absolutely no mention of Silom or Sois 2 and 4.

The whole thing was a huge and very obvious fake. Yet the publisher insisted Bryan had just come back from two weeks in Thailand! B/S!

Looking at the site now, I see it still offers almost no detailed "gay" information for Bangkok. The section headed LGBT Scene in Bangkok is so general, offers no specific information on bars, saunas, massage. clubs etc. and says just this -

Bangkok is an extremely tolerant destination for Gays and Lesbians, as sexuality is an integrated part of their practice of Buddhism. Gay harassment is virtually unheard of, and Bangkok is often referred to as the gay capital of Asia. Whatever your scene, Bangkok has it. The gayborhood is centered in Silom, though there are gay-specific venues in Sukhumvit and down Khao San Road as well. Affordable and often over-the-top, a gay-centric visit to Bangkok will no doubt impress.
    Attached to that generalisation is a photo that looks far more likely to have come from the carnival in Rio -

So it's not just individual blogs that have misleading headings and spout little to do with those headings. Official sites that have high-end advertising also get away with that nonsense.

Re: 10 REASONS CAMBODIA "SHOULD" TOP YOUR GAY TRAVEL WISH LI

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall
    The section headed LGBT Scene in Bangkok is so general, offers no specific information on bars, saunas, massage. clubs etc. and says just this -

Bangkok is an extremely tolerant destination for Gays and Lesbians, as sexuality is an integrated part of their practice of Buddhism. Gay harassment is virtually unheard of, and Bangkok is often referred to as the gay capital of Asia. Whatever your scene, Bangkok has it. The gayborhood is centered in Silom, though there are gay-specific venues in Sukhumvit and down Khao San Road as well. Affordable and often over-the-top, a gay-centric visit to Bangkok will no doubt impress.
    So it's not just individual blogs that have misleading headings and spout little to do with those headings. Official sites that have high-end advertising also get away with that nonsense.
    The reality being that Bangkok in a few areas may tolerate gays and lesbians