List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Do Thais Take So Long To Express Things?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Why Do Thais Take So Long To Express Things?

Were you aware that Bangkok's proper Thai name is -

Krung thep mahanakhon amorn ratanakosin mahintharayutthaya mahadilok popnoparat ratchathani burirom udomratchanivetmahasathan amornpiman avatarnsathit sakkathattiyavisnukarmprasit?

According to the Guinness Book of Records, it's the longest location name in the world. In English, it translates as "The city of angels, the great city, the residence of the Emerald Buddha, the impregnable city of Ayutthaya of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn."

Now I understand why it takes such an age for Thais to say relatively simple things!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Why Do Thais Take So Long To Express Things?

It amuses me when I get a wrong number and pass the phone to a Thai to explain.
    The conversation goes on and on for several minutes. No doubt it's more polite that way

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall
    Now I understand why it takes such an age for Thais to say relatively simple things!
    Thais have no complex ideas and are temperamentally incapable of complex thought - hence the Thais best-known complaint about Westerners "You think too much"

Liked

I was aware of the full name of Bangkok. I guess it's in every guidebook about Bangkok.

The headline is ambiguous, I first thought of "to express" as synonym of "to expedite" (making the headline an oxymoron, followed by an ironic or sarcastic article), but then I realized it has the meaning "to say"

Liked

Christian, why does it take so long for you to express yourself? Inexcusable!
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc
    The headline is ambiguous, I first thought of "to express" as synonym of "to expedite" (making the headline an oxymoron, followed by an ironic or sarcastic article), but then I realized it has the meaning "to say"
    Perhaps you're unaware that nursing mothers who wish to breastfeed their babies but have to go to the office and leave the baby with someone else "express" their milk

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kommentariat
    Perhaps you're unaware that nursing mothers who wish to breastfeed their babies but have to go to the office and leave the baby with someone else "express" their milk
    Since when did kommentariat become an authority on breeders, babies and boobies?

Liked

Thais have no complex ideas and are temperamentally incapable of complex thought - hence the Thais best-known complaint about Westerners "You think too much"
    You are absolutely correct.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by marti
    A beautiful example of racism !

Thais = untermensch ??????

Shame on you

Quote Originally Posted by lukylok
    Quote Originally Posted by marti
    A beautiful example of racism !
    Racist eh? Which "race" would that be I wonder. The Lao and Khmer who live in Isaan? The Malays who live in the South? The Chinese who came as merchants in the 19th and 20th centuries who still refer to themselves as Thai-Chinese? The Hill Tribes perhaps? Or maybe you're just one of those people who cry "racist" every time a white man opens his mouth because, let's face it, only (and all) white men are racists?