List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what ever happened to the gaylifeinthailand board ?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: what ever happened to the gaylifeinthailand board ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton
    Are there any in Thai?
    Here are more (at least I believe they also include chat rooms - maybe someone with better Thai skills can confirm).

http://www.baantomdy.com/
    http://www.dekchai.com/
    http://forum.gterday.com/categories/rainbow
    http://zaa.xq28.org/viewforum.php?f=3 This site also has an international Board in English -
    http://zaa.xq28.org/viewforum.php?f=6

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall
    Did GB have another board before then?
    Yes he did. Can't remembe quite when, but his first board pre-dated Sawatdee ... I believe it started up around the turn of the century :ymapplause: That was the board which ran into a lot of trouble and criticism regarding his 'attached' Meet-a-Thai-Guy service. Could easily be around 1998 or 99. When it closed there was an hiatus of a few years before he started another message board. Then Gaybutton board was for awhile plagued by technicalities and periodic shutdowns. The board he owns (also phpBB) now seems to be quite stable.
    Although Gaybutton and myself differ to a rather large degree regarding message board moderation (I'm a leftist, he's a reactionary ; ) you gotta give him credit for general stick-to-it-ism ... he has stayed the course for longer than anyone. Owning and moderating a message board is, more often than not, a frustrating endeavour.

As the years go by I rather lose track of the dates in my old brain. I apologize for this and defer to younger noodles for the temporal details ... as Surfrest has done a few posts back.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Heavens Smiles you make it all sound rather like the meetings of the local branch of the Mothers' Union - at least the way my mother tells it.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    2006 was also the Year of Hedda (a nasty piece of work) and the Board Wars ... which I believe accounts for some of the 'conspiracy theories' which are still levelled at Gay Thailand message boards every so often: (see above introduction).
    Was is really so long ago, as 2006.
    I've had my differences with many posters over the years but never despised anyone
    as much as hedda. She holds the record and one should not forget baht-stop and
    heddas hopper. She used the word 'dear' endlessly and was wicked. We used to have
    many posters with female personas as remaints of what was 'gay' in the 1940-50s, when
    drag was chic.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest

(3) May 2011 ~ 2013 May 2011 Elephantspike announces he's "Moving On". My understanding is that Elephantspike was in discussion with another member about buying Sawatdee, but for some reason the deal fell through. This opened up a bidding war between (Probably the best owner we never had) and the worse owner we actually did have. Neal tries to change the name from Sawatdee-Gay-Thailand to Sawatdee Gay Forum

Surfcrest
    The deal that feel thru would have been a dilly.
    The member failed to come up with the agreed upon sum of money.
    The same member is now incarcerated in the UK, after more than a year in a Thai
    prison. The story was reprinted from the Sun newspaper in the UK and posted
    on at least one of the gaythailand forums.
    The member confessed to raping a boy using a hand gun. George would have been a pip.
    He would have made a good mate for hedda, sort of like a Bonny and Clyde.

Liked

Yes he did. Can't remembe quite when, but his first board pre-dated Sawatdee ... I believe it started up around the turn of the century :ymapplause: That was the board which ran into a lot of trouble and criticism regarding his 'attached' Meet-a-Thai-Guy service. Could easily be around 1998 or 99. When it closed there was an hiatus of a few years before he started another message board. Then Gaybutton board was for awhile plagued by technicalities and periodic shutdowns. The board he owns (also phpBB) now seems to be quite stable.
    Although Gaybutton and myself differ to a rather large degree regarding message board moderation (I'm a leftist, he's a reactionary ; ) you gotta give him credit for general stick-to-it-ism ... he has stayed the course for longer than anyone. Owning and moderating a message board is, more often than not, a frustrating endeavour.

As the years go by I rather lose track of the dates in my old brain. I apologize for this and defer to younger noodles for the temporal details ... as Surfrest has done a few posts back.
    Going back to last century, my recollection was in addition to the GB site, there was Dreaded Neds and Gay Pattaya (owned by the Gay Pattayan, Alan Briggs). My recollection is also that you (Smiles) rescued the Gay Pattaya site and it eventually became SGT.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Up2U
    " ... Going back to last century, my recollection was in addition to the GB site, there was Dreaded Neds and Gay Pattaya (owned by the Gay Pattayan, Alan Briggs). My recollection is also that you (Smiles) rescued the Gay Pattaya site and it eventually became SGT ... "
    Yes, you are right about Dreaded Ned: in fact DN's tree-style crazy message board was pretty well the Grand Daddy of ALL the Thailand (gay) message boards ... started sometime in a 1996 or 1997 time frame if my memory serves me well. It was great chaotic fun but almost completely un-moderated and wonderfully chock-a-block full of trolls and perverts and flashlight weirdos. It really was a blast for a few years. Members from that board who still post occasionally on this board I still lovingly recall: PeterUK, Charles (Brad The Impala), Rick (of flashlight fame, possibly Latinproxx), and quite a few others whom I have forgotten.
    It ended when Dreaded Ned was facing legal issues regarding some of the nonsense which was written there and Dreaded Ned pulled it down and started up a new 'modern style' message board. For some reason ~ again, legal I think ~ he ended up completely getting rid of the message board as part of his web site. Almost no one visits Dreaded Ned any more.
    The demise of Dreaded Ned's board made room for the the Big Three boards (i.e. PattayaGay, Gaybutton, and Sawatdee) to come to the party in a big way.

I did not "rescue" PattayaGay in any way. I was always just a regular poster there, nothing else. When I started Sawatdee the PattayaGay board was still going, but it was not long after that that Alan Briggs decided to take his board down. As far as I'm aware his board was doing fine right up until he pulled the plug.
    However, for all I know Sawatdee might not have been as popular or successful as it turned out to be had Alan not decided to put an end to PattayaGay.

Liked

Thanks for clarifying, I thought the Gay Pattaya site was archived and adsorbed by another board but I am probably wrong about that.

Liked

GB had a board going back to the late 90s
    The original site was http://www.gaybutton.com and bsides the messageboard also has a blog like section siimilar to ChristianPFCs blog with trip reports and tips for newbies etc
    YOu can still find a lot of the site on the WayBackMachine at archive.org
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest
    " ...May 2013 ~ to present Neal and I met down on the beach in March 2013 to discuss the terms for me to buy Sawatdee from him. On May 1st 2013 The deal to buy Sawatdee was complete ... "
    Thanks for that date correction. How times flies ... I would have sworn you've only been owner for one year, not two.