Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Chinese New Year In Bangkok

Liked

Re: 2015 Chinese New Year In Bangkok

No surprise that the Thai Chinese throw a big new year's party in Thailand -they own everything in the country that smacks of money; the gold shops, the rice stores, the electrical shops, the hi-so malls but not so much the rice fields cos they smack of real hard work.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    For the past two years, P. and I have enjoyed the show outside Central (sea-side) in Pattaya. Acrobats, dragons etc...and free. We'll be back there again next week.
    Boyztown is decorated with lanterns. I noticed some straight tourists photographing them- doesn't seem to be much on display in other parts of Pattaya.

We also enjoy the lion dances around Boyztown....don't know if these will happen this year. Hope so.
    http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews...44882?ref=pmci

Quote Originally Posted by thaiguest
    No surprise that the Thai Chinese throw a big new year's party in Thailand -they own everything in the country that smacks of money; the gold shops, the rice stores, the electrical shops, the hi-so malls but not so much the rice fields cos they smack of real hard work.
    I thought the CPB and its associates owned the hi-so malls

Liked

How wonderful to see AMARETTO back and posting one from his collection.
    I'm also thrilled to see The Balcony posting their Chinese New Year's event and I hope they'll post more events in the future!

Surfcrest

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kommentariat
    Quote Originally Posted by thaiguest
    I thought the CPB and its associates owned the hi-so malls
    Must admit straight off that I don't know what or who CPB represents.

Re the ethnic chinese in Thailand -they being the monied people married into royalty especially when Thailand was flooded with princes and princesses under the "mia noi" custom. An english traveller in Bangkok in the 19th c. stated that if you threw a stone in Bangkok you were sure to hit a prince, a--------, or a monk.

Likewise in England. By the early 1900's 25% of the House of Lords were direct descendants of Charles II by the 'back stairs'. Both lady Di and Camilla are 7th (8th?) great grand daughters of the merry monarch by the said "back stairs".

Hey just realised! Scottish Guy has something real to crow about:

PRINCE WILLIAM WILL BE THE FIRST STUART ON THE THRONE since Queen Ann!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by BonTong
    Quote Originally Posted by QueueDeCastor
    As far as I know, there's nothing special going on, but I'm scratching my head as many places are fully booked in Chiang mai now.
    Nothing special going on but it's a big long holiday in China and many people want to get away. Chiang Mai has become a major destination for Chinese tourists, partly due to the phenomenal success a couple of years ago of the Chinese film "Lost in Thailand" which was filmed here. Apparently there are sixty five extra flights into Chiang Mai from mainland China over the holiday! :-o

There was an article in yesterdays Bangkok Post about the government asking Thai's to welcome new visitors despite their rude behaviour, and citing some recent problems in Chiang Mai.

Haven't noted many mainland Chinese in gay venues though, but there are quite a few from Singapore, Taiwan and Malaysia.
    Many cheapies were already full a couple of weeks ago, although even the flower festival hasn't been started yet.

I see, that brings Chinese tourists to Chiang mai. Pai was flooded with them, too.

I'm relieved knowing Thais also are getting fed up with 'rude' behavior by Chinese tourists. A few things that I've witnessed:
    * a Chinese mother and a daughter of around 7 years old huggling over clearly displayed drink price of 25b down to 20. They repeated attempts 3 times, no success. Seriously?
    * at a street side eatery, I think their bill was around 80b. The vendor handed them a change, one of them give back a 20b note saying 'tip'!? Thais will love it, but this was really weird.
    * a Chinese guy pushed me without saying anything. I've been to over 30 countries, but I've never been treated like this.

Now I'm in Chiang rai, there are a lot less Chinese tourists here.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

so you must be USA-they are the one complaining about pushing etc. And must never have been into that mainland middle Kingdom.
    Here in this part of BKK-city, some 6-7 kms away from the Silom-ghetto-zone, those Chinese, yes mainland, are multiplying by the million. Easy to recognise-all females wear outrageous large hats. Other as their JPNese sisters, they do not seem overly enthusiast about getting hooked up by western bekpek guys. Even more strangely, they even seem not to like Thai food very much. Nor do they seem on the winning hand in getting better prices and outdoing the Thai in their fleecing, which they are as such very good in. They all have a for them expensive, for us dirtcheap looking smartfone, on which they all have 2 apps: a map of BKK and a Busguide. Both are, as this is TH, partly much incorrect. By now I know what buses always leave them screaming and not understanding what is happening-wrong route or moneylady telling them its the wrong one.

Liked

Would be nice if some Chinese started paying attention to people around them, became less thrifty and had no inclination to haggle over 5 baht. Also - would it not be nice if westerners learned to smile more, drink with more moderation and actually learn how to enjoy

On another note - a few years ago I went out for a smoke at Dream Boys BKK - there is (was?) a place to smoke on the second floor - not the street level. Was followed by 3 Chinese half my age who were all over me - I think they were even hinting at some material reward should I decide to join them at their hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveThailand
    On another note - a few years ago I went out for a smoke at Dream Boys BKK - there is (was?) a place to smoke on the second floor - not the street level. Was followed by 3 Chinese half my age who were all over me - I think they were even hinting at some material reward should I decide to join them at their hotel.
    Some people will do anything for a fag.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kommentariat
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveThailand
    Some people will do anything for a fag.
    Indeed - and even John Merrick aroused curiosity in his day, so there's hope for us all.