'Things' in general Thailand are getting somewhat more expensive. I can see/feel that everytime I buy something here (which is pretty well every day :-? ) I can vaguely remember that this or that was cheaper some years ago. That's quite normal really, in fact the slow, in-control, inflation one experiences in Thailand signals a rather economically healthier country: i.e. Thai people are ~ in general ~ still able to afford and buy 'things'.

How are off-fees going in gogo bars these days? What were they in 2000? Pot's taxi service from Hua Hin to Suvarnaphumi is 50% higher than in 2006. A beautifully cooked sea bass in our favourite restaurant (not in any way fancy) was 185 baht in 2007, now 300 baht. A large Leo at any bar in 2007 was 65 baht, now 100 baht.
I'm not complaining at all, we still buy what we bought seven years ago.

For myself, although my Canadian dollars go less far than 3 years ago, the CA$ is still decently above the level it was in 2000, the year I first came to Thailand.

Oddly enough the Euro is in the same scenario ... i.e. getting somewhat more Baht for the Euro than in 2000. The Euro is much more volatile ~ and probably will continue to be ~ but still net up over 2000.

The US dollar has taken the biggest hit over the longest period of time, and although it has risen lately, at 32 Baht it's a long way from the 40 baht it was in early 2000, much less the 53 Baht it reached ~ for a few minutes ~ during the Asian Crash. The British Pound has not performed very well.

The included graphs measure from 1997/1998 (the year of the Asian Meltdown). Plug your own currency into the historical converter here: ( http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/ )

The graphs are easier to read by clicking on them.