Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HIV+/AIDS and Foreign Travel to Thailand

Most things have been covered here Marc, Bumrungrad Hospital is well respected but the Red Cross hospital near Silom do HIV consultations if you do have any problems whilst in Bangkok. I would not mention your HIV status to any Thai Embassy's as each Embassy can react accordingly to their own rules. As a positive person I would think that you are already immunized against Hep A and B (which is always a good idea for any travelers to Thailand) and a flu vaccine would not go amiss either. Your doctor will advise you on these.
    Medications, carrying enough plus a safety margin will be good, but I would have the pills in an open prescription bottle depending how many you are carrying and also have a copy of your doctors prescription just in case you are stopped and an over zealous customs guy wants to know what your drugs are. Like Smiles I have been traveling to Thailand since 1987 and have never been stopped going through the 'Green' but one never knows.
    Have a safe trip and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by objective
    Whilst on our crusades, we gays tend to forget there are also other immunodeficiency conditions besides HIV
    The link for the exhaustive CDC Immunocompromised Traveler advice, general for immune deficient (and specific to HIV, as well) is:

www2.ncid.cdc.gov/travel/yb/utils/ybGet.asp?section=special&obj=hivtrav.htm

They also have a good checklist for anyone's travel "medical kit" at:

www2.ncid.cdc.gov/travel/yb/utils/ybGet.asp?section=recs&obj=travelers-health-kit.htm&cssNav=browseoyb

I am aware of the HIV testing clinic at Bumrumgrad (is it the Red Cross clinic?) but still can't find where their web site lists HIV care, and still don't see it listed as any Bangkok's hospital's specialty. It's not an issue with me as Thai medical care's reputation is quite high and I'd expect it to be quite adequate in this respect, however, I'd greatly appreciate hearing from a farang who has had experience with this within and without Thailand.

Deceased Member
    Liked
    You might also like to know that the Christian Hospital on Silom Road also now has an HIV unit for gay men (I think entrance turn right and right again) with free testing. The Red Cross Centre Bkk or Anonymous Clinic as it is called is just that and very helpful, check times open if you have to go low cost too. In Pattaya Doctor Phillipe Heartt 2000, or Chonburi Hospital is the main centre here and could advise i am sure if a problem.

Liked

I'm humbled...

and i have to say, this is why I like this board... occasional bickering from us all aside, it is made up of many helpful people.

Thanks again guys!

One other question...

Would you advise contacting the embassy regarding my status or would you consider it a "non-issue". Ultimately, I'm not going on a sex junket anyway. Just going to see my partner and the sites and sounds that are exclusive to the region.

Again, many thanks!

Non-issue. What business is it of the embassy? Keep it to yourself and you'll be fine.

I also get a bit sick after a few weeks in Thailand.Less sleep,drinking piss,mcdonalds,burger king,ice cream,hamburgers,sex,kissing ,drinking out of unwashed glasses and the bloody air conditioning.

I usually get the flu,coughing,bronchitis.I tend to only get bronchitis in Thailand and at night time.Also eye infections.
    I went to the hospital in Pattaya and he put me on oxygen mask for about 5 mons ,he told me im not use to the pollution,and to turn the air conditioner off and use a fan and open window which i did at the day night hotel and my breathing got better.
    I am a bit confused why you are on meds as you say you were only diagonosed in JUly 2005.Your cd4 must be low.
    You should also get a flu vaccine shot from your doctor before yo go ,and a pnuemonia vaccine shot.Ask your doctor to give you both injections.Hopefully you have already had hep B and hep A vaccinations?
    I think some air conditioners are not clean which can cause probs to your immune and respiratory systems.I dont think its a good idea you toungue kiss barboys either.The thing is you will probaly forget your diet when on holidays there which can affect your health.