Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Oscar's Gay Controversy

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Oscar's Gay Controversy

It was supposed to be the anti-African American controversy at this year's Oscars. Yet in accepting his Oscar for Best Song for the Bond movie Spectre (was that really the best movie song of the year??), British singer Sam Smith declared he thought he was the first openly gay winner. He isn't, as others have been quick to point out! Elton John won for his Lion King song and Australian animation filmmaker Adam Elliot thanked his boyfriend in his 2004 acceptance speech. Smith was merely quoting from an article in a British newspaper by gay actor Sir Ian McKellan. Yet Twitter today has erupted with scorn. British diver Tom Daley's boyfriend, Dustin Lance Black, tweeted Smith about his win in 2009 for Best Original Screenplay for the movie Milk. Perhaps someone should have advised Smith make his comment less specific, but the guy is only 23 and thought he was actually helping the LGBT community. No scorn like that from fellow gays, it seems!

On a different issue, Lady Gaga's song "Til it Happens to You" was a stunner. Themed to tie in with a documentary nominee "The Hunting Ground" about the sexual abuse of children, it ended with young victims of abuse in the background slowly moving forward and raising their arms in solidarity. Lady Gaga joined hands. Hugely powerful! Many in the audience were clearly in tears. I was.

2. User who gave Like to post:

Khor tose (March 2nd, 2016)

Liked

Re: Oscar's Gay Controversy

I've often felt the urge to cry when being subjected to Lady Gaga "music" myself, but in another way entirely. As for communicating the horrors of child molestation, I must say I prefer the movie Spotlight over a Lady Gaga "music" video. Oh, it even won an Oscar.
    Yes, grandpa, I know it used to be more fun 30 years ago...

Liked

Re: Oscar's Gay Controversy

I do hope it is okay to like both the Lady Gaga rendition and the movie Spotlight. I see great value in both.