List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All I need now is a man (or a boy)!

Liked

All I need now is a man (or a boy)!

Early indications in Ireland's referendum on same-sex marriage are that the proposal will be accepted by a substantial majority. Ireland is the first country in the world to put the issue to a popular vote. Makes me even more proud to be Irish. Now, if I only had someone to marry.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Re: All I need now is a man (or a boy)!

The result has just been announced and same-sex marriage has been approved with a majority of almost half a million votes of 2 million votes cast. Jubilant scenes in Dublin Castle where thousands have gathered to hear the result. A good day to be Irish and gay.

Liked: 1

At last the Irish people have raised two fingers at the bigots, haters and hypocrites of the Catholic Church.

Unfortunate title for this thread ... I would have preferred "Ireland tells Rome to Feck Off"

And everybody ... don't forget that Adolph Hitler was a Roman Catholic.

Liked

Indeed it is a proud day to be Gay and Irish...

So many people that i always assumed would be bigots and homophobic coming out in favour of the "gay" vote
    Unfortunately (from my perspective) I also discovered just as many people that I considered to be friends and quite enlightened and liberal... were very anti-gay marriage... but more especially against potential furure gay adoption or gay surragacy during the recent campaign.. They do not want "those gays" to be allowed near children

Thankfully the majority of these people were from Eastern europe - therefore had no say in the vote.

As Corky says above separation of the church and state is now complete... the Catholic church no longer tells the (majority of) Irish people what the MUST do... even my conservative father voted YES for equality!
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

Hearty congratulations to all the blarney kissers on Sawatdee.
    Especially interesting in light of Ireland's very powerful Catholic history.
    I don't know much about Ireland's demography, but I would make a reasonable guess that the under 50's took the day ... and also ~ as pointed out by Colmx above ~ the church's influence ain't what it used to be?

Poor old Joe! Now perhaps it's OK to try for a few alter boys.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    I don't know much about Ireland's demography, but I would make a reasonable guess that the under 50's took the day ... and also ~ as pointed out by Colmx above ~ the church's influence ain't what it used to be?.
    This result will surely have very considerable repercussions globally. It certainly seems that young voters in particular were mobilised by the subject and the debate - as they had been in the referendum on Scotland's Independence last year. Will we see more existing and aspiring politicians switch tactics somewhat to encourage this till now usually neglected section of the electorate? It would certainly make next year's US Presidential election far more interesting!

As for the Catholic Church, it surely must be seen as an utter disaster. Until relatively recently it held a virtual stranglehold on Irish thought and politics. That has now been shattered. One of its basic dogmas, that of the object of marriage being to produce children, is now being rejected by massive numbers with increasing rapidity. How does it even start to answer the many hugely difficult questions it will now be asked?

Liked

... alter boys
    Ladyboys you mean?
    [i]There is a boy across the river with a bottom like a peach,
    But alas I cannot swim.
    [/i]
    - From an early-19th-century Pashtun marching song

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by PeterUK
    ... alter boys
    Ladyboys you mean?
    Ladyboys? No thanks. I think I'll stick with the Thai boys.

Liked

Whilst not in favour of gay marriage - but I'm getting there - good on Ireland for putting it to a referendum.

Pressure is now on our Prime Minister to allow a referendum but as long as the conservatives are in power, there's no hope of that. Our PM is a staunch catholic. And a nutter, as well. He also awarded a knighthood to Prince Phillip, (on Australia Day!) so that gives you some idea of his lack of brain cells and how far he's removed from public sentiment.

Apparently, over 70% of Australians are in favour of gay marriage.

It will be interesting to see how many gay couples now actually take advantage of the new situation.

Liked

I really can not understand the significant number of gay people who oppose equal marriage (I'm not directing this is at a447 as he makes no such statement).

Correct me if I'm wrong - but there is no suggestion of compulsion, only the provision of equal opportunity for those who wish to go down that road (and who can find a guy daft enough to take them on! (Nod to Joe)

The irony of the Catholic Church wishing to "protect" children from gays (or anybody else for that matter) is priceless!

Personally, I'd love to get married to my bf but I don't see how that can ever happen, given that the UK Home Secretary seems content to let everybody in the world into the UK except him specifically , and the total unlikeliness of Vietnam introducing an equal marriage law anytime in the next 50 yrs (which is how long I expect to hang around).

So, well done the Republic of Ireland (I don't say "the Irish" because I believe the enlightenment has yet to spread to your (partitioned) neighbours? - but if I'm wrong about that, NIrish will rightly correct me.