Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owners...the sidebar discussion from the venue

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Owners...the sidebar discussion from the venue

Some boy bar owners have great welcoming personalities but many are asocial, obnoxious jerks.
    I guess that mirrors gay farangs in the general population.

Liked: 1

Re: the venue

This thread sums up for me a lot of what I dislike about internet message boards: the willingness of some posters to make hurtful, personal and churlish remarks about others from the safe anonymity of a computer, miles away from their victim.

One person is described as having a тАШpersonality bypassтАЩ whilst two others will be тАШno lose (loss?)тАЩ when they sell their business interests. The people attacked have invested huge amounts of their time and money in attempting to entertain members of the public and create jobs in a land not their own. Do their efforts really deserve this moronic backstabbing? Childish, insulting comments such as these are most likely to come from the socially inadequate, jealous, petty and of low intelligence. Those who have issued these insults need to take a long, self-critical look in the mirror. Could they have achieved a fraction of what their victims have?

If you donтАЩt like a business then donтАЩt go there. If you dislike someone then ignore them. If you really want to insult them then have the balls to say it to their face тАУ not cowering behind your computer screen.

Liked

I think critical remarks (or positive comments) about businesses are what is of interest to most members of this board.
    But yes - comments on characters of the owners that have no relevance to our customer experience bear no interest (at least for me).

Liked

Totally agree LoveThailand - I don't go to a bar to spend time with the owner. As long as he is providing the service I want, I'm happy never to see him (I've only ever spoken to two owners that I'm aware of, and that was just to hi).
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Corky, you almost had me agreeing - until your comments went so far over the top with references to "victims" being "attacked" by "hurtful,churlish, personal", remarks - and pronouncing about "backstabbing", that your post became just so much hyperbole that in the end I just could not take it seriously.

The principals concerned are experienced businessmen who have chosen to invest in the gay entertainment industry in the Pattaya area. I'm quite sure they have heard it all (and much, much worse) before, and can take it in their stride. If they can't, then may I suggest they're in the wrong industry in the wrong place.

For you to then go even further and use a post ostensibly deprecating anonymous online comments about others, to launch your own equally (if not even more) bitter attack on people YOU probably don't even know as "socially inadequate...jealous...petty...of low intelligence...cowering behind a computer screen.." goes so far along the irony line that it falls over the edge.

It really comes across as if you have a personal interest - anything to declare?

Liked: 1

Nothing to declare.
    The point is that the people insulted have been identified by their real names and their business by someone hiding behind a pseudonym.
    That is cowardly and malicious.

Quote Originally Posted by corky
    If you donтАЩt like a business then donтАЩt go there. If you dislike someone then ignore them. If you really want to insult them then have the balls to say it to their face тАУ not cowering behind your computer screen.
    I still enjoy going to a couple of Silom Soi 4 bars occasionally even though I have no time for their owners. Liking a business and liking the owner are too completely different and unrelated things. Theres a wanker manager of one soi 4 business who wais to some of his regular falang customers as if there the Chief Monk totally disrespecting Thai customs. I think hes a total prat but I still eat in his restaurant I just avoid having anything to do with him and if he waid me I just look straight through him. Respecting someones ability to build or run a business has zero to do with respecting them as a person just as respecting someone as a person has nothing to do with whether they can run a business well or even at all.

Enterpreners have no immunity from criticism as people just because there enterpreners. Ive worked for a couple of guys over the years who have started there own businesses and become multimillionaires and both of them were quite open about being total arseholes. It was ok for them to say that to you and they didnt give a rats arse if you said it about them provided you bought there products.

corky is confusing a persons private and business personas an all too common failing these days.

Liked

Nothing to declare.
    The point is that the people insulted have been identified by their real names and their business by someone hiding behind a pseudonym.
    Well, I guess "insulted" is a reality-check after "attacked" and "back stabbed" as a description of what was (frankly) some pretty mild criticism - so, kudos to you for that.

As you know, this is an anonymous board and we all use pseudonyms - it's difficult to see how any of us can comment on others or be critical without falling foul of the second sentence in your post. Where someone is involved in the entertainment industry, I think their personality (or alleged lack of it) is fair game for comment.

For the record, I do not know "fat and Scottish" Andy at all, and I have spoken only very briefly to the other two - so I have no axe to grind. All I know is that any time I have gone to The Venue, I've been happy with their product, prices, and service - but had I not been satisfied I would feel entitled to comment on a Board and even refer to them personally, as they are the "face" of the business. In the real world, as in the cyber version, that is what customers DO.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy
    Nothing to declare.
    Well, I guess "insulted" is a reality-check after "attacked" and "back stabbed" as a description of what was (frankly) some pretty mild criticism - so, kudos to you for that.

As you know, this is an anonymous board and we all use pseudonyms - it's difficult to see how any of us can comment on others or be critical without falling foul of the second sentence in your post. Where someone is involved in the entertainment industry, I think their personality (or alleged lack of it) is fair game for comment.

For the record, I do not know "fat and Scottish" Andy at all, and I have spoken only very briefly to the other two - so I have no axe to grind. All I know is that any time I have

gone to The Venue, I've been happy with their product, prices, and service - but had I onot been satisfied I would feel entitled to comment on a Board and even refer to them
    personally, as they are the "face" of the business. In the real world, as in the

cybeversion, that is what customers DO.
    The 'fat Scottish guy is presumably the sound and lights technition. I would describe him as a " pleasant roly-poly Scot". Maybe the op is referring to the actual owner who may also be a Scot but he's an ok guy too. His only crime is to be a perpetual patron of transgender shows but this would be a crime only in certain regions of the earth. Me D and Mr R are true professionals and THEIR only sin was to steal Monty's 3 best dancers anc act which tolled the death knell for Monty's excellent show across the Road.
    Hmm.. may "steal" is too strong a word but ya'll know what I mean.

Liked

Not sure why folks give a damn about what The Owner is like or not like, personality-wise. Why would one hunt out an Owner of any establishment anyway, for any reason ... except if there is some great emergency.
    For myself, the Venue is a quite smart and pleasant little hotel in Jomtien Complex which is right in the middle of Jomtien gay scene, and his highly stumbleable if one wants to crawl back to the hotel mildly blitzed and desiring quick company. It's also a short stroll from the beach, and a few yards to the Baht Bus to get into Pattaya. What could be more convenient?
    The rooms are most excellent for the price. There's a small pool to cool down in on a hot afternoon. The nightly show is wildly mediocre but quite avoidable coming and going. The stairway is potentially lethal ... although they probably know that and have provided an elevator in the foyer.
    We've stayed there many times, enjoying each stay, and have yet to see the Owner(s) and like it that way. Why would I (or anyone) give two hoots about it changing owners, much less tossing around silly accusations and gossip?
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand