Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ian Thorpe bares his soul

Liked

Re: Ian Thorpe bares his soul

I would agree that it's better to come out early and live as the person you want to be. I found it a struggle to come out- as did many of my generation (born in the 50s). Who knows if him hiding his sexuality led to his addiction problems or if there were other factors? We'll never know. But good luck to him (as if he cares what I think!).
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall
    There is one pertinent comment in that Sydney Morning Herald article that I think may well be of some help to those trying to make the decision to come out -

one canтАЩt help wonder if having to hide his sexuality and not live as the man he wants to be has had anything to do with the depression, alcohol, prescription drugs and troubles he has had in recent years.
    Isn't the message there that it's far better to come out early and not inflict those demons on yourself?
    Complete balls fountainhall

He didn't come out in 2000 because it would impact his very very lucrative sponsorship deals

He didn't come out 4 or 5 years later (after the Athens Olympics) because the business ventures he had started turned sour and he needed the sponsorship money more than ever. Who can forget the ludicrous "Ian Thorpe Underwear" business. (Any of us could have told him that if he wanted to fool around with boys in underwear he need only go to Thailand)

Then the rumours started so he had to go with denials because he couldn't allow his revenue stream to be threatened

He attempted a comeback for the London Olympics and this coincided with his autobiography where he asserted "All of my sexual encounters have been heterosexual". More about sponsorships and publisher's advances than about "honesty"

Of course he was trapped and of course he got depressed and all of that. But he had made his choice - money, money, money - and his sufferings were entirely self-inflicted. The only conflict about him coming out - after all, we now know he wanted to come out in 2000 - was to do with the money he would lose by doing so

Is he a role model for young gays? Sure he is, and his message is: "Come out and there will be penalties". That's more likely to be true for athletes and others who rely on their fame for sponsorship. For those with real achievements such as Jack Andraka who is profiled in the latest Gay Times, that is likely to be less true.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kommentariat
    Complete balls fountainhall . . .
    his sufferings were entirely self-inflicted
    Of course they were - which is precisely what I wrote, if you had bothered to read it!

his message is: "Come out and there will be penalties"
    Complete balls! He and his advisers may have thought that 15 or so years ago. Others like 19-year old Tom Daley have shown that that no longer has to be the case - you have heard of Tom Daley, I assume? The point that Thorpe coveys is that he suffered needlessly.

Liked

Maybe not needlessly, isn't it simply the case that A LOT has changed within the last 10-15 years or so?
    Yes, grandpa, I know it used to be more fun 30 years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    Maybe not needlessly, isn't it simply the case that A LOT has changed within the last 10-15 years or so?
    Not so much for athletes. And let's face it, Tom Daley is another has-been and was by the time he came out. If you want to see what happens when current athletes come out you have only to look at the example of Matthew Mitcham whose sponsors are almost non-existent or second-tier at best.

Since I did read what you wrote, fountainhead, perhaps you might consider that your writing lacks clarity.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

let's face it, Tom Daley is another has-been and was by the time he came out
    He was 19 when he came out. He leads the UK diving team for the upcoming Commonwealth Games. He still has his regular TV work and retained his endorsements. I suppose you would have preferred it if he came out when he was 15.

Since I did read what you wrote, fountainhead, perhaps you might consider that your writing lacks clarity
    You are just so predictably amusing!

Liked

He was 19 when he came out. He leads the UK diving team for the upcoming Commonwealth Games.
    Have to agree with Kommie. As I said above, Daley is an over-hyped underachiever, and his TV " work" is complete dross - mindless drivel appealing to the lowest common denominator. However, I accept that's a matter of opinion

What's NOT a matter of opinion though is your other point Fountainhall - and I'm gobsmacked! Surely you know there ISN'T a UK/GB team at the Commonwealth Games - Scotland, England, Wales, and N.Ireland all compete separately.

:-o

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Spellchecker on the blink again :-o

Liked

Spellchecker on the blink again :-o

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy
    He was 19 when he came out. He leads the UK diving team for the upcoming Commonwealth Games.
    Have to agree with Kommie. As I said above, Daley is an over-hyped underachiever, and his TV " work" is complete dross - mindless drivel appealing to the lowest common denominator. However, I accept that's a matter of opinion

What's NOT a matter of opinion though is your other point Fountainhall - and I'm gobsmacked! Surely you know there ISN'T a UK/GB team at the Commonwealth Games - Scotland, England, Wales, and N.Ireland all compete separately.

:-o
    I think we all know by know that fountainhall and accuracy are strangers to one another.