Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thai Visa Discussion..Important New Changes

Liked

Thai Visa Discussion..Important New Changes

a number of members mention that you can satisfy the retirement requirements by obtaining a letter from their embassy rather than showing 800,000 baht in a THai bank. What does such a letter say? Are 60 day visas still operating with a 30 day extension done at Chaeng Wattana govt office and can a trip (once only) outside to say Laos or Cambodia be used for a 30 day stay, meaning 60 + 30 +30 days with only one trip outside.

Liked

gregvc...

What is your home country citizenship?

What is your age?

How many so called tourist visa have you had in past year to Thailand?

With that information...many may be able to better answer your questions.

Changes in enforcement of Thailand visas are happening daily...
    I suggest you read Thaivisa.com for latest updates.

"It seems that Immigration officers at Sungaikolok, Tak Bai, Buketa, Sadao and Padang Besar are actively trying to distinguish between genuine tourists and individuals who reside in Thailand long term using the incorrect visa type - a tourist visa.

Those individuals who have a history of 15/30 day border runs and who are then trying to enter with a new 60 days tourist visa from Penang, for example, have been refused entry.

Foreigners in Thailand should be reminded that it has always been the case that entry to Thailand is at the discretion of Immigration officers. "

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/741 ... n=breaking

Even having a valid tourist visa issued by a Thai Embassy is NOT a reason for Thai Immigration to ALLOW you to enter Thailand...
    Tj

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Suggestion to surfcrest. Since visa questions occur with considerable frequency, would it be useful to have a pinned thread that either deals with posts about visas or, better still, simply lays out the specific requirements re the various types of visas/entry permits and their qualifications/validity/limitations etc.?

Liked

I am 58. I travel to BKK on Melb consulate issued 60 days 2 entries. I return to Melb for 2 or 3 months then off again to BKK. My Thai partner of 16 yrs (thai law does not recognise the relationship) is working in BKK. He is also Australian. I have been working in Thailand (yes, I know against visa).

Liked

GREGVC...

As you are 50+ ...now 58...I strongly suggest you obtain the so called "Retirement Visa"..
    I believe you are among those who Thailand seeks to stop.
    Just get the proper visa you are entitled too...and you will be OK.
    I cannot speak of your work issue.. Up to You!

I am not sure what financial proof your AU Embassy requires of you to get a notarized letter for Thai Immigration
    stating your monthly income is $ AU __________...

Thai Immigration needs to see annual 800,000 Thai baht or 66,667 Thai baht monthly to issue you the "extension of stay" for 365 days.
    others on this board I am sure will be able to post of their experience.

You can convert the visa you now hold which you entered Thailand while still in Bangkok...
    simple and quick to do. That will enable you to get an "extension of stay" of 365 days (one year)...and you do this annually.

At the same time get a single or multiple entry permit...allowing you to go and come as you wish throughout the year of your visa.

You speak of your Thai partner...You say he is Australian...???
    Does he hold both Thai & AU Passports? If Thai I assume he does and NO problem for him...if he is under age 50.

Good luck...

tj
    Tj

Liked

Thailand Immigration clearly is implementing new procedures for visa entry to Thailand.

I suggest you keep watch on thaivisa.com for updated happenings as reported by their many forum members.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/741 ... n=breaking

Also I believe it is important for you to obtain the proper visa to enter Thailand.

Those who have used the tourist visa...to live in Thailand and work illegally in Thailand...
    and do so called visa runs..to extend their stays in Thailand...
    GET THE PROPER VISA...your days are numbered...be prepared to move.
    Thai Immigration Is screening & searching for you.

"Those individuals who have a history of 15/30 day border runs and who are then trying to enter with a new 60 days tourist visa from Penang, for example, have been refused entry."

This indicates that solely being in possession of a valid tourist visa does not give foreigners a right to enter Thailand. It seems that a tourist visa alone does not provide automatic entry at the border.

One needs to pass the interview at the border with the immigration officer who has the final say. The immigration officer at the border has the right to refuse entry if he/she believes the foreigner is attempting to enter Thailand with a tourist visa for purposes other than tourism. That would be illegal use of the visa previously granted at a consulate or embassy.

Until Thai Visa provides updates I would recommend anyone planning to enter Thailand at a land border crossing with a Tourist Visa to be prepared to prove they are bona fide tourists.

The burden of proof now seems to be on the tourist to prove that the purpose of the visit is tourism. Get prepared to provide the border crossing immigration officer with: prepaid itineraries on travel agent letterhead, prepaid hotel vouchers, proof of funds from overseas, prepaid airline tickets back to Australia, USA or your home country, Western Union receipts, ATM receipts, hotel brochures, tourist guide books, or even detailed handwritten notes in your tourist guide book to show where and how you plan to be a tourist.. etc. etc.

Be prepared and well documented to plead your case at the border to assure the immigration officer that you are a tourist. If you can, you might be OK.

---------------------------
    Tj

Liked

aot871..

Simple...read the replies as posted on Thaivisa.com...there are many reported problems...
    made by fellas who have already ...in recent days...experienced troubles with using their visas to enter Thailand...

For some..it means the end of the road for living here in Thailand using back to back tourist visa runs.

Six pages - 131 postings of discussion and happenings reported...read & be informed
    Choose what you wish to believe...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/741 ... isas-tr60/

"IF THE SHOW FITS"
    Good Luck..

tj
    Tj

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by travelerjim

This indicates that solely being in possession of a valid tourist visa does not give foreigners a right to enter Thailand. It seems that a tourist visa alone does not provide automatic entry at the border.

One needs to pass the interview at the border with the immigration officer who has the final say. The immigration officer at the border has the right to refuse entry if he/she believes the foreigner is attempting to enter Thailand with a tourist visa for purposes other than tourism. That would be illegal use of the visa previously granted at a consulate or embassy.
    This is a universal rule for any country: possession of the visa does not guarantee entry into the country. All final decisions in any country are made by the immigration officer.

Liked

Re: Thai Visa Discussion..Important New Changes

The Thai Visa discussion from the thread A question for retirees has been split and merged with the topic Thai Visa Discussion...Important New Changes.
    The discussion has been pinned to the top, due to the importance of the subject matter.
    I apologize if this impacted your posts in any manner.

Surfcrest

Liked

Re: Thai Visa Discussion..Important New Changes

Quote Originally Posted by travelerjim
    GREGVC...

As you are 50+ ...now 58...I strongly suggest you obtain the so called "Retirement Visa"..
    I believe you are among those who Thailand seeks to stop.
    I disagree with you jim. I see nothing that would suggest that Thailand is trying to stop visitors such as Greg.

Greg, for Americans the letter of income from their Embassy does not require any proof of income but that may not be the same for Australians. But, as Jim wrote, getting a retirement visa is quite simple as long as you can get that letter from your Embassy and the way to go.