Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A question for retirees

Liked

A question for retirees

I won't be in a position to retire for about 7 years, but I wonder what made you choose Thailand as your retirement destination. Food. temples, boys, cheap living costs? What would be your best piece of advice to someone thinking about retiring there?

Just to clarify, I don't work anymore - I'm a full time carer for my mother who is 93. My mention of retirement refers to receiving the State Pension of about тВм240 per week.

Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Re: A question for retirees

Only reason to retire there is the Boyz. As for advice, don't burn your bridges back to home.

Liked

Don't forget the cheap but disgusting wine, francois

Liked

I'm not retired but living here for almost 3 years now. there's a big 'digital nomad' group here in thailand...
    a lot of location-independent / self employed guys and gals in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. that's a big
    draw for me. a low cost of living while building a business and living a bit of adventure.

Liked

I've never heard that phrase "digital nomad" before. I assume that's what cdnmatt considers himself to be?

Btw, is a digital nomad a person who works online, and can do so from almost any location?

Liked

It's an unanswerable question really. The short answer is that I chose Thailand because that is what I wanted to do. After spending 6 months of each of the last two years in Chiang Mai, I will, all being well, shortly be moving to Thailand permanently.

Which raises my best piece of advice. It's obviously difficult for you with your responsibility for your mother, but before you make a permanent move, try to spend at least one or two extended periods of 3 months or more in Thailand. It's not the same as being on holiday.

There are as many reasons for living in Thailand as there are expats. Don't concern yourself with why others have done it. Check out whether it works for you, on your terms, for your own reasons and if you are really, really, sure that it does, go for it.

Liked

I'm assuming the 240 Euros is not your only income? If so ... good bloody luck. :-o
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552
    What would be your best piece of advice to someone thinking about retiring there?
    Make sure that you fulfill the requirements for the retirement visa extension and get it, if you wish to stay in Thailand continuously.
    Make sure that you can (always) return home, if need be.

That's about it, I think.

(I'm not retired yet, too, that's just some general advice.)
    Yes, grandpa, I know it used to be more fun 30 years ago...

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by joe552
    " ... is a digital nomad a person who works online (?) ... "
    ... also very much describes my Urologist, who is always interested in my prostate, digitally-wise.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Off topic again! Joe, I promise I shall try and actually address your original question when I have thunk about it at length.
    Meanwhile, you cannot but admit that you certainly leave a lot of 'entry points' within your posts which are difficult to ~ like Soi dogs ~ let lie.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

Smiles, happy to banter with you. I won't have the funds required for a retirement visa when the time comes (800,000Bt in the bank?). My brother lives quite happily in Cambodia on his state pension of тВм240 per week. I was just initiating a conversation about why people chose Thailand to retire to, rather than some place else.

Sorry that you are of an age where a urologist gets to finger your prostate - I have a few more years before that happens (I hope)