Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 220 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Protests update

Protests update

Well playmates time for an update on the protests in Bangkok. The worst thing you can do apparently is visit Subway especially if your reading a book called 1984. You will get arrested.

A friend reckons the democracy protesters have got the wrong Orwell book. It should not be 1984 but Animal Farm. "Red Shirt corruption bad, Yellow Shirt corruption better". If your a reader Im sure you know what that all means.

Liked

Re: Protests update

Related link:

http://www.prachatai.com/english/node/4148

And former minister sets up anti-coup group in exile:

http://prachatai.org/english/node/4157

Liked

Thailand or Egypt? which has the more repressive military government? Probably Egypt though it's hard to say for certain since there appears to be little "news" available to Thais who don't read English.
    And who is the more inane, Sisi or Thailand's very own Dear Leader? That's a hard one, though Prayuth's recent pronouncements (such as why a certain Thai woman has been "disappeared" for re-education...assuming she's still alive ) suggest that he regards himself as some sort of kindly father disciplining errant children. A dangerous man.

For those who were prepared to take the events leading up to the coup at their face value- that is, according to the Suthep spin- the recent comments from that pompous murderer have let the cat out of the bag....the coup was planned years ago.
    Meanwhile, it becomes ever more obvious that the sort of democracy that we in the west usually support- one person/one vote- will have no place in the Brave New Thailand; the peasants/Redshirts/buffaloes/workers cannot be trusted to choose their national government; their votes will be restricted to the elections for village chiefs with no significant powers.
    And finally, for those posters who are inclined to say "so what? the go-go bars are still operating", I suggest caution. The fascists that now run a country some of us love are not content with power for its own sake; they wish to transform society in ways that gays and liberals- not to mention democrats- will find uncomfortable.

http://thediplomat.com/2014/06/what-wil ... look-like/

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    Thailand or Egypt? which has the more repressive military government? Probably Egypt though it's hard to say for certain since there appears to be little "news" available to Thais who don't read English.
    And who is the more inane, Sisi or Thailand's very own Dear Leader? That's a hard one, though Prayuth's recent pronouncements (such as why a certain Thai woman has been "disappeared" for re-education...assuming she's still alive ) suggest that he regards himself as some sort of kindly father disciplining errant children. A dangerous man.

For those who were prepared to take the events leading up to the coup at their face value- that is, according to the Suthep spin- the recent comments from that pompous murderer have let the cat out of the bag....the coup was planned years ago.
    Meanwhile, it becomes ever more obvious that the sort of democracy that we in the west usually support- one person/one vote- will have no place in the Brave New Thailand; the peasants/Redshirts/buffaloes/workers cannot be trusted to choose their national government; their votes will be restricted to the elections for village chiefs with no significant powers.
    And finally, for those posters who are inclined to say "so what? the go-go bars are still operating", I suggest caution. The fascists that now run a country some of us love are not content with power for its own sake; they wish to transform society in ways that gays and liberals- not to mention democrats- will find uncomfortable.

http://thediplomat.com/2014/06/what-wil ... look-like/
    Thanks for the link. The dissident Thai lady has surfaced on ArmyTV and as happy as a clam at high tide:

http://prachatai.org/english/node/4156? ... English%29

Liked

Happy indeed!
    Appropriately so in a week when 1984 is banned....you recall the end of the novel, when Winston Smith has undergone re-education (sic) and decides (of his own free will) that he loves Big Brother. It's amazing how the captives in Thailand uniformly praise their oppressors.....very touching.

TAT is apparently being inundated with requests from tourists as to whether carrying a copy of 1984 is illegal. So far, it has issued no response. I suppose it has to wait for the Dear Leader to decide in case its officials also disappear for re-education....only to reappear full of love for Army.

Liked

While posters obsess over the life and death of Neal, there are profound changes taking place in Thailand which affect our boyfriends and their families and- although many seem unaware of this- the lives of gay expats and gay visitors. Surely someone has something to say?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

TAT is apparently being inundated with requests from tourists as to whether carrying a copy of 1984 is illegal
    Looking at the story in Hong Kong's South China Morning Post rather than the local media, it seems this is not a case of just one random individual being arrested.

Handfuls of anti-coup protesters have staged several silent readings of the book in recent weeks, saying its indictment of totalitarianism has become relevant
    http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/article/1 ... ce-bangkok

Apparently all the arrests took place in and around the Paragon Department store. I have been there twice in the last 10 days and seen no army or increased police presence. Same has been true of visits to Terminal 21, and the Sathorn/Silom/Chongnonsi areas. In one thread someone posts about checks at Saladaeng BTS station. Not that I have seen. No checks at any Skytrain stations that I have been to. There are checks at every subway station, but these have been in force for well over a year and are not specifically related to the coup. Little change that I can see in the centre of Bangkok. Thai friends who live in the north of the city and across the river in Nonthaburi also tell me they have not noticed any change. I am off to Isaan tomorrow and will let you know what I see there.

Liked

While posters obsess over the life and death of Neal, there are profound changes taking place in Thailand which affect our boyfriends and their families and- although many seem unaware of this- the lives of gay expats and gay visitors. Surely someone has something to say?
    Most posters here have a different set of priorities. When you travel half way around the world to get laid the last thing on your mind is local politics. If you are like me and have a bf and see his country's future stolen from him then you see things in a different light. When traveling here I was told Thailand's government was a constitutional monarchy with an elected parliament. Wonder how many still believe that lie.

Liked

While posters obsess over [....], there are profound changes taking place in Thailand which affect our boyfriends and their families and- although many seem unaware of this- the lives of gay expats and gay visitors.
    and when in the last 10 years, or even the last 50 years, would this quote not apply?

Surely someone has something to say?
    you're obviously the best one to lead the chorus ... 1..2..3.. the sky is falling, the sky is falling ...

I am not trying to deny that there are currently some significant issues but in the last 10 (or 50) years Thailand has never been the Utopia, and has not now suddenly switched to being the dystopia, that you and your Thai friends seem fixated with

bkkguy
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

Liked

If you have a Thai friend they had best be careful:

http://www.dailynews.com/general-news/2 ... ary-rulers