Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alarming news

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Alarming news

Some of the commemts here are very callous and self serving. Even if you does not enjoy the sex shows it is still important that they take place as it livens up the street, surrounding bars/massage houses also profit as i for one ogten have a beer or two at hotmale bar (not the gogo bar but the one on the corner) before and after watching a sex show. Just because something doesnt affect you doesnt mean you can ignore it or condone it. Very short sighted, but unfortunately very common in the gay bitchy back stabbing world.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx
    Some of the commemts here are very callous and self serving. Even if you does not enjoy the sex shows it is still important that they take place as it livens up the street, surrounding bars/massage houses also profit as i for one ogten have a beer or two at hotmale bar (not the gogo bar but the one on the corner) before and after watching a sex show. Just because something doesnt affect you doesnt mean you can ignore it or condone it. Very short sighted, but unfortunately very common in the gay bitchy back stabbing world.

Your complaints should be directed at the General in charge of the new government not those commenting on the current situation.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

I understand latintopxxx point, there are some posters here who have a I don't go to the bars, don't care, it doesn't affect me attitude. That is being selfish. I have seen gay areas in western cities become more homogenized and losing the very fabric that makes them gay. To have the bars, massage parlors, etc. close or be so severely restricted it would be devastating for a lot of gay men both directly and indirectly.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx
    I agree with you 100%. I don't often visit these bars and I'm not much into sex shows, but I'm all for having them around for those who enjoy them.
    Yes, grandpa, I know it used to be more fun 30 years ago...

Senior member RonanTheBarbarian's Avatar
    Liked

I agree with the last few posters. I think the clampdown on the sex shows is definitely the thin end of the wedge. Just because you don't like sex shows doesnt mean you should welcome this. The reason the junta imposed it was not because they think the bars should focus on the gogo dancing!

In most countries, the imposition of a military regime means that there is less focus on the "nightlife issues" - usually the armed forces stage a coup becuase of security issues or economic collapse and they base their legitimacy on that - their implicit promise is "you might not like the idea of military rule but we are the only ones who can fight the communists/jihadists /separatists, etc"

It is when democratic governments come to power that you have a "social order" campaign (e.g. Thaksin the first time, the Phillippine since the end of Marcos, Indonesia nowadays) in order to bring "morality" to the country.

But this junta is different - they are basing their legitimacy mainly on bringing proper governance to the country, that they claim is impossible to govern with the usual Yellow vs. Red perpetual civil war. Hence the crackdowns (welcomed by all, expecially expats) on things such as the taxi mafia in Phuket and police corruption generally.

They want people saying "only the army could have done that".

The current regime want to show they are a better government. Now, they might just stop at cosmetic changes to the naughty nightlife scene. But they may not. You coulds see a gradual tightening of the screws, where the bars are first told to have the gogo dancees in boxing shorts, the jeans, then not dancing at all.

If the level of corrupt payments is genuinely suppressed, there will be obviously less incentive for the police to protect their cash cow by turning a blind eye. Now I dont think that in Thailand, the commercial scene will ever be wiped out completely, but a lot of the "fun" aspect of it that draws tourists such as myself could be snuffed out.

Now I am not sure if this will happen, the junta might find they are getting diminishing returns from "good governance " and focus on giveaway schemes instead.

But it is indeed "alarming news".

Liked

Ronan makes some valid points.

IMHO this is much more about the Army showing the Police who is boss and being seen to be tackling corruption, rather than the state of undress of some Issan boys in a bar.

Up here in the Lanna wilderness the edict hasn't yet arrived. At least, not judging by the number of engorged manhoods on display at one well know bar last night. If soi twightlight doesn't cut it any more, Chiang Mai is still the cock o' the north with plenty of Shan sausage for everyone =P~ . Just don't expect to find any power bottom fem boys in the commercial bars
    Chiang Mai Connoisseur - [url=http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/]www.gayinchiangmai.com[/url] and [url=http://www.bontong.com/]www.bontong.com[/url]

Liked

A member at another board reported attending a show at Tawan yesterday: hard cocks galore and a fuck show. Though no cumming.

Quote Originally Posted by BonTong
    IMHO this is much more about the Army showing the Police who is boss and being seen to be tackling corruption
    "Seen to be tackling corruption". There's a management technique called "picking the low hanging fruit" and "getting some quick wins". Will we see Prayuth tackle, for example, the Army's monopoly on the yaba and heroin trade? Or tackling the Navy's monopoly on seaborne people trafficking? brisbaneguy's friend in another thread was spot on: "Red Shirt corruption bad, Yellow Shirt corruption better".