Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Neal, former owner of SGT has died, posted on Gaybutton

Re: Neal, former owner of SGT has died, posted on Gaybutton

Quote Originally Posted by joe552
    Posting on a message board immediately after someone's death hardly qualifies as a biography.
    Or even obitaries?

Liked

What are "obitaries"?
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

What are "obitaries"?
    Them articles what people write in newspapers when famous people die.

Liked

Ummm nookie with Neal? No - <insert joke about being good with one's fists...but...>.

6 or 8 room pension/hotel, with tiny bar/restaurant/breakfast room.

We had 3 rooms, he had 1, but he dominated the hotel (as you might expect)

As I said, difficult not to interact

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by BrisbaneGuy
    What are "obitaries"?

Thanks BG - I thought they were sleeping pills from the 60's.....as in "...the singer died in her hotel room from a lethal cocktail of alcohol and obituaries"

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by BrisbaneGuy
    What are "obitaries"?
    Presumably using proper English?
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Joe, you and others have questioned why people are posting about someone who has died.

In my case, I made a post on another board simply to put the record straight ; to give the other side of the story. I felt physically ill as I read all the kind, soothing words about Neal, written by those who either did not know him, or only met him once or twice. When I first met him I got the same impression as others - he was an interesting guy and seemed pleasant enough. I was fascinated with the things he told me about running a bar - I'd never met an owner of a gay bar - and I found his stories about the ins and outs of the business, and watching him interact with the boys, very interesting.

Although we were never friends - I was more interested in the boys inside the bar than chatting to him - I visited Happy Place every night and would chat to Neal when I went outside for a ciggie. It wasn't long before I saw a different side to Neal, a side many of the posters who are defending him obviously didn't get to see. (I write about one incident on another board and won't repeat it here). And that was only the start! He never had a kind word for anyone and took every opportunity to describe SGT posters as weirdos, nut cases, losers, assholes..you name it. I and another poster who sat with us on many occasions often wondered what he said about us in our absence. So you guys who thought you knew him well enough to write nice things about him, guess what...

Joe, it's more about telling people that the " nice" Neal they saw was not the conniving, deceptive, intimidatory, duplicitous, treacherous arsehole I discovered when we had a simple disagreement about how he was running this board; he didn't like to be told he was wrong and so he let loose with incredibly viscous messages to me in which he threatened to have me assaulted by his " boys" - later he threatened to have his boys hunt me down and kill me! And all this over a very simple clash of opinions about the way he was kicking people off his board for trivial things.

That us why I had to keep quiet about being in town. I know exactly where Scottish Guy is coming from, as he had an even worse experience with Neal, if that is possible.

Neal was happiest when he was seen as someone of relevance in gay Pattaya. But his inability to see other people's point of view led to it all crashing down around his ears and he ended up being banned from all the boards (that alone should tell people something) and became irrelevant. This made him very frustrated and he became a complete monster. But it was all his own doing and he refused to recognise this. He saw himself as the centre of the universe and believed he couldn't possibly be wrong - it was everyone else's fault when things went bad for him. I once told him to look in the mirror and he replied that he does so every day and likes what he sees! That says it all.

Have those posters saying nice things about Neal and suggesting he RIP never read the Bitchboard when he owned it? Have they never read the incessive, maniacal invective aimed at Gaybutton and Surfcrest, just to name two? Didn't they notice that he never ever had a kind word to say about anyone? Didn't they notice the blatant lies he told? Didn't they notice the irony in his constant "woe is me, I'm sick" statements when he was always writing about how he liked eating, especially cheesecake? Didn't they put two and two together and realise he was the cause if his illness? ( I've actually seen him stuff his fat face and it almost made me puke.) Didn't they see his treachery in selling this board, whilst all the time he was secretly setting up a rival board and sending out pms to members here to get them to join his new board, all with the intention of bringing SGT down? And what on earth did these posters think when they saw Neal posting photos, addresses, private telephone numbers, etc of members of this board on his own board?

It's all out there on the net for everyone to see. If all of the above leads people to think that Neal is in any way deserving of sympathy, God help them.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I have not posted on any Board for the better part of a year as I believed I had formally resigned from all to which I used to contribute. Having been informed about the death of Neal, a man whom I never met but who had decided to raise issues with me on this Board, his pathetic Bitch Board and in various PMs (in a much milder manner than with others, I hasten to add), I decided to look at the comments being made about him. I then realised I had - for some reason totally forgotten - remained as a member of this Board.

I will make just three comments. First, he was obviously a friend to some, and to those who mourn him, I extend my condolences.

Second, to those who knew him only through his various personae on different Boards, he latterly came across as a vicious, paranoid, vindictive individual who would stop at nothing to berate, humiliate and all-but libel many people. He was hell-bent on attacking reputations, no matter how inaccurate his usually puerile and idiotic prose. He seemed positively thrilled at the thought he was blazing a path of destruction. The depth of his depravity concerning the present owner of this Board was utterly disgusting. To those who admonish others for speaking ill of the dead, remember Shakespeare: "The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones."

My third, more minor, point concerns those bones and the reason I and some others joined this Board. When Neal took over, he announced a photo competition with several categories and generous prizes of Bt. 24,000. It was a great idea. Many entered. I happened to win Bt. 6,000. I and some others (Including Christianpfc) asked if he would kindly donate our winnings to the Pattaya Street Kids Charity. The total in donations was over Bt. 15,000. He soon announced in the thread this would be done. Not knowing the man, but having heard about his generosity, I assumed it had indeed been done. Some months later (I stress at a time when our few communications were still entirely amicable), I suggested in a PM that to round off the photo competition threads it would be a nice gesture to post the receipt from the charity on this Board. I was almost verbally attacked and told he had been given no receipt. I then asked if he could perhaps scan a part of the letter he would no doubt have received and post that. The attack was stronger - he had received no letter! This annoyed me as I know that charities must by law (something Neal purported to know a great deal about) provide formal receipts, but I did not pursue it. Soon I became an object of Neal's hate-generating mindset, ending up with my being accused publicly of all sorts of things including, ridiculously, of being a hydra. Privately the threats were far stronger.

I still have no idea if any charities received any of the promised funds.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall
    So I still have no idea if any charities received any of the promised funds. I raise this now for it may throw a slightly different light on what some have been posting.
    I'm not sure what light it is you expected to throw two or three years after the fact. Very brave of you to bring this up now that the man is dead. If you were so concerned as to whether the kids' charity received the funds, why didn't you pick up the phone and call them yourself, instead of passing innuendo on a matter that is a couple of years old and where one of the principal players is already dead. Now that you're back, are you going to stick around and post or are you going to "retire" again until somebody else falls dead before you will come out again to raise your ethical concerns with regards to that dead person?

Liked

Posting on a message board immediately after someone's death hardly qualifies as a biography. But hey, I'm off to Thailand this morning, so have more important things to think about.
    Safe trip!