Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

View Poll Results: Are you cancelling because of the Curfew?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Are you Cancelling?

3 10.34%
  • Are you going to delay your visit?

3 10.34%
  • Are you coming anyway?

19 65.52%
  • Are you coming anyway because you have already paid for your trip?

4 13.79%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cancelling your trip because of the Curfew?

Liked

Cancelling your trip because of the Curfew?

In view of the Curfew (even if its midnight to 4 am) will you be cancelling your forthcoming trip? Plenty of advice around (some saying everyhting is normal?!!) so what will you be doing? Coming, cancelling, or delaying?

Liked

Re: Cancelling your trip because of the Curfew?

I've decided to go ahead with my trip (ticket already paid for) but mainly because things look like they're settling down.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

hi
    i arrive on sunday
    no way is a coup stopping me
    if i can survive Rio , staying in a favela
    this will be a walk over
    see you all on sunday

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Rather than a full on cancellation I just haven't booked yet for my usual June / July trip so far until I see exactly how the land lies re the curfew etc, as cute Thai guys or not I'm a night owl and I enjoy the late night side of things when in Thailand.

Also I haven't been told to be home before midnight since I before I was in my early teens and I dont intend to let some random army general force me to be doing this now if I dont have to - especially when I'm spending my hard earned money to visit his Country on holiday, there are other places.

But let's hope some sense returns in the near future for everyone's sake.

Liked

I leave for Bangkok on June 4 and will not cancel - things would have to be a lot more serious than picking a companion for the night and being with him by Midnight. The only issue I have is it best to stay, as planned in Bangkok at the BB , for transfer to Pattaya.

Liked

I see a report on Thaivisa that the curfew might be dropped for Phuket and Pattaya next week. Let's hope so, although that won't help those in Bkk
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Won't cancel my holiday, but shift it to another country if the curfew is still in place.
    I'm not in kindergarden anymore and don't need anybody to tell me when to go to bed X(

Quote Originally Posted by joe552
    I've decided to go ahead with my trip (ticket already paid for) but mainly because things look like they're settling down.
    Just don't expect to use Facebook while you're there. The last paragraph is particularly interesting. Has the Chinese government been advising the coup leaders? http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis ... 24602.html

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552
    I see a report on Thaivisa that the curfew might be dropped for Phuket and Pattaya next week. Let's hope so, although that won't help those in Bkk
    I would not have cancelled even if the original 10-5 curfew was still in place. It all depends what your plans and reasons for your visit is based on. While we do look forward to and thoroughly enjoy a few nights at the clubs/late night venues, and would certainly miss them due to any curfew, it's not enough of a reason for a cancellation for me. Pattaya accounts for at most, 10 days (over 2 visits) of a month's trip. A visit nowadays is more about meeting up with my bf again and spending time with him, wherever in Thailand that happens to be.

But even if single I would never spend a whole holiday/visit in either Pattaya or Silom/Bkk or a combination of them. What changed my Thailand agenda (apart from hooking up with my bf a few years back) was taking the decision to drive when in Thailand, that opened up so many alternatives to limiting the whole trip to Bkk/Pattaya. One thing I have found travelling around various towns and cities is that there are gay lads in all of them, and certainly a sufficient percentage of them interested enough in westerners to not be short of company anywhere in Thailand. As I have noted in another post, even in the likes of a thai for thai industrial area like Navanakorn on the outskirts of Bkk where Thais earn good enough money not to need westerners, there are plenty of approaches at the music venues from younger Thais. (unfortunately mostly female!).

But I totally get why Nirish and the night owls would consider a strict 10pm-5am curfew as a valid reason to cancel or delay a trip, especially if you have a limited time to make the most of. It certainly seems the curfew rather than the coup is the reason many have cancelled already, as some have said there are other countries without such restrictions to visit.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

You are correct that it's the curfew rather than the coup that would influence my decision most for the reasons already outlined re being a "night owl" - and by that I don't necessarily mean out drinking and clubbing all the time ( although that does of course come into play) but just merely not being able to go outside at night would to me be the equivalent of prison ( I'm guessing :-).

Plus on a typical night out in Pattaya for example I may not venture out until 9 or 10pm ( after having some early evening fun in my room perhaps ) and THEN head out for a few drinks and to relax, chat to friends and maybe hook up with someone, I then might meet up with AN Other guy and return to my room for a little fun heading back out again afterwards and after years of refining my " Oh I sorry, I am due to go meet a farang friend now" excuses to get the guy out of my room and enable me to GET out again I'm damned in some General is going to undo all my hard work over the years and result in me being forced to remain with one ( or four or five :-) guys all night if I don't particularly want too - actually now that I think of it that five guy thing works ok actually but doing that EVERY night for a month could prove a tad expensive I fear not to mention exhausting ! lol

Likewise the same applies to Bangkok where the early part of the evening ( 9pm-11pm) might be spent with one guy whereas the latter part of the evening could be spent in DJ / GOD etc, where a whole other range of guys come into play and again I'm damned if someone is going to dictate to me where I must be and what time I must remain in my ( or someone else's) room to and from.

I do of course understand that locals and expats have no choice in the matter but thankfully as a tourist with choices, a passport and some money in my wallet I do and would most definitely just chose to spend my valuable holiday time elsewhere ( or most of it anyway). However as the general rumours seem to be that things will ease in the tourist areas soon hopefully that will at least solve the problems there, I just hope then that they class Silom as a "tourist area" as Bkk without my DJ Station fix would be just too much to bare :-(