Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Info on Laos

Liked

Info on Laos

In the event that my travel insurance is invalidated by political events in Thailand, I am looking at going to Laos to meet the guy I've been chatting with online for some time now. I know very little about the country so would welcome any information on places to stay, places to visit or just general touristy stuff. I would prefer to do Pattaya again (much easier) but if the worst happens. I'd like to be somewhat prepared.

Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Re: Info on Laos

Hi,
    I've been quite a few times to Laos and I like it a lot. A very unspoilt country and once out of the few larger towns very rural and poor with often bad infrastructure. However, the landscapes are beautiful and the Lao people are friendly if a bit shy with foreigners.
    Vientiane is the capital and the largest town, it has been developing quite quickly in the last few years and has some good accommodation, some great restaurants and the best 'scene' in Laos with a few bars. It's closeness to Nong Kiaw helps, but it's still all a bit under the radar, however, don't believe all that crap about no visitors to rooms etc. that you often see repeated in guides, it simple isn't true anymore. As a place it has a few things to see and some nice Wats but it's not visually stunning, although it is quite relaxing and if you want to just relax, eat well, drink a beer or two overlooking the Mekong it's rather pleasant.
    Luang Prabang is a delight, small, beautiful, perfectly formed, slow pace of life and probably the best selection of hotels, guest houses and restaurants in Laos. That does come at a cost though and the place is busy with tourists especially Dec-March. Very small scene here but there are a few mixed or gay owned bars and wine bars and the famous Dao Fah disco on the outskirts which can be an eye opener. It's a very nice place to while away a week or more doing not very much.
    Vang Viang has changed from being the party town with practically naked and drunk teens and 20 somethings tubing, getting blind drunk, wandering around in a stupor and drowning, into a more relaxed place with stunning scenery. The government shut a lot of bars along the river and enforced the curfew a couple of years ago and that's dampened the party antics, the party crowd are still there but in smaller numbers and quieter. The landscape is one of the prettiest karst landscape this side of Halong bay and there are some nice places to stay just out of town on the river.
    The southern towns are quieter with very little going on.
    Romeo, Jack'd are the best places to find guys, although there are cruising areas in both LPB and Vientiane.
    Cheers

Liked

Thanks for that, paul. very comprehensive.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

I really liked Luang Prabang a lot when I visited a few years ago. The town is a UNESCO site so there's not much change allowed in the main town itself but there is new building a growth on the outskirts. I was there in November and it was very pleasantly cool overnight and warm in the day time.

I did not like Vientianne much...other than the bakeries. The French left behind that one good thing.

I really want to get to souther Laos one of these days. Pakse is the gateway to that part of the country. You can take a nice cruise on the Mekong and there are some old historic sites in that part of the country.

Liked

I have been to Lao twice (2011, trip report on this forum; and Feb 2014, trip report incomplete on my blog). It's pretty much like rural Thailand.

I had no problem to have a friend stay two nights with me in Vientiane in my room. There is a curfew, after 10 pm there is little activity on the streets and after midnight only very few venues stay open. You can get Baguette everywhere in Vientiane, which is a nice change from Thailand.

All Lao I met could speak Thai, and with intermediate knowledge of Thai I can read Lao to some degree.