Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: THAILAND'S' ARMY CHIEF DECLARES MARTIAL LAW

Liked

Re: THAILAND'S' ARMY CHIEF DECLARES MARTIAL LAW

So what has changed...all th7s worry over insurance etc, get over it n get over here. Lived through 4 of these n no problems ever.

Liked

Looking at a trip to BKK in July. My only issue would be if there are any curfews that have been imposed in past Martial Law/Protest situations.
    Have gogo clubs or bars in Silom 2/Silom 4 or Babylon ever been closed due to Protests/Martial Law?
    I'll likely stay at Pantip Suites or Pinnacle Lumpinee, near Babylon.
    Thanks for any details!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons
    Quote Originally Posted by Up2U
    Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons

You bring up an interesting point, should some one say I'm not paying because now you answer to the army be assured when the army goes away he would pay a very dear price.
    I doubt the red shirt and yellow shirt protest movements were the source of tea money. The traditional sources(bars, massage parlors) are still in existence and operating so I would think nothing has changed in that regard. Check bin please.

How do you think make up the protesters? Do you really believe that the sources of tea money are confined to those that run bars and massage parlors? Any Thai that is involved in day to day life from dealing with the traffic police to having his business license checked is subject, if it were limited to what you believe Thailand would probably rate higher than the USA in its lack of petty corruption. It's not only at the petty level it is endemic at every level.
    My point is 50 or 100 thousand protesters marching down Rama 4 don't pay tea money and both red and yellow shirts have their own security forces. The police haven't disappeared and businesses will still pay up. The military as it stands now is stopping the demonstrations, rallies, propaganda on both sides and hopefully that's all they will do.

Liked

I can reassure bjbjboy. Unless the situation changes radically, there will be no need for a curfew. The last one (which I experienced) was the result of the tension following the massacre of the Red Shirts by Suthep's cronies. There have been no comparable levels of violence in this conflict, despite Suthep's efforts.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMee
    Quote Originally Posted by joe552
    I am only concerned about my travel insurance. If the Irish Govt. issues a warning against travel to Thailand, that invalidates my insurance..... I'm not overly concerned about my safety.
    If you're not concerned about your safety, why would your worry about invalidating your travel insurance?
    Because travel insurance covers me for things other than political events - like falling off a bar stool and breaking my arm. If the Irish government issues a warning not to travel to Thailand and my insurance is not valid as a result - do you think I should still go? Do you travel without insurance?
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

So Joe ... what about the coup?
    Perhaps a thread regarding the pros and cons of buying insurance (from those jackals ) would be worthwhile.

(Full disclosure: I own stock in Manulife ... those jackals. B-) )
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

I first thought that was ManULike. Well, according to the General (and he should know) this ain't a coup. just fretting about what might happen next. Already looking at Laos since I've never been there. Any advice?
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

hi
    im all booked to go to bkk for 3 days then fly to sean rap for 4 weeks
    bumming about cambodia, i think i will just land in bkk
    and leave directly to sean read,
    dont need the hassle

Liked

Do you travel without insurance?
    Yes, all the time actually!
    How many years have you been travelling. How many times have you claimed?
    I have made my decisions on all forms of Insurance.

Liked

I always have insurance when I'm in Thailand, though the fact that it was invalid during and after the massacre of the Red Shirts (Government travel advice) didn't stop me travelling.
    In answer to the question above, I've travelled to Thailand on about seventy occasions and have made one claim. It was after the theft of my personal documents at Heathrow Airport. And it was turned down.
    To be blunt, I'm prepared to take the risk when I visit my Teerak and I'm used to being without insurance. I'm not covered when I'm in Palestine because I'm in unwelcome contact with insane settlers and trigger-happy brats in the Israel Army.