Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The fluctuating cost of beer in Bangkok Bars

Liked

The fluctuating cost of beer in Bangkok Bars

I be back in Thailand in April. I'm wondering if the drink prices have gone up or gone down? Did the price hike turn out to be the cash boon that bar owners hoped it would be? Or did the high prices cost them in bottom line yearly profits?

When I first came to Thailand the cost of a drink about about 250 baht. The cost of a beer here in the USA at a popular dance club in the city where I live was $4 USD. Now the cost of a drink in Bangkok is 300 to 400 baht. The cost of a beer here in the USA at a popular dance club in the city where I live is $3.

When I first started coming to Thailand, I visited many bars each night to see the shows or just to flirt with the guys, but that was when drinks were 220 to 250 baht. Now that beers start at 300 baht... I don't bar hop as I once use to. Now I will pick one or two bars I want to visit. I don't invite gogo guys over anymore. I just go and look and to see the show. Still I may tip from time to time but I don't off them. If I want to buy fun for the night I will buy i online and wait for the guy to show up at my room. Kinda like what is going on here in the USA with retail stores. We go to the retail stores to get a look at what we are interested in but we don't buy it from the store. We go home and buy it online to save a few bucks. I do the same thing in Thailand only because I don't want to reward the bars for their over aggressive price hikes.

So I am wondering. Has the bars in Sui Twilight become more or less wallet friendly?

These are the good'ol days

Liked

Re: The fluctuating cost of beer in Bangkok Bars

Quote Originally Posted by bucknaway
    When I first came to Thailand the cost of a drink about about 250 baht. The cost of a beer here in the USA at a popular dance club in the city where I live was $4 USD. Now the cost of a drink in Bangkok is 300 to 400 baht. The cost of a beer here in the USA at a popular dance club in the city where I live is $3.
    Aren't you mixing up two different things, "dance clubs" and "gogo bars"? If you went to any regular night club here in Bangkok, you'd find prices much closer to the US prices you've mentioned.
    Yes, grandpa, I know it used to be more fun 30 years ago...

Liked

To my mind, Bucky's entire post is "mixed up"!

Is this a serious suggestion - that you spend time and money going round couple of Gogo bars, finally finding a boy you find attractive, and instead of taking him off, you ought instead to go back to your hotel room, fire up your laptop, and search on GR for another boy altogether who (if his photo turns out to be accurate) looks something like the one you saw (and desired) in the first place, simply to "save a few bucks" ???

Jesus H - if that's your idea of having a good time .............

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bucknaway
    Bucky, has the price of a beer in a bar your part of the world really dropped 25% over this period of time? (10~15 years?) What has been the driver for this? Has there been some change in taxation or other legislation? Or is it driven by market forces? Is this price reduction typical across the USA or just in your state or city?

It would be hard to compare prices to just about anywhere else in the world in this case as prices will almost certainly have risen to some extent everywhere in that time period.

If that is really true (and applies to USA in general) I can understand why americans have such a hard time accepting the price of drinking in any sort of bar in Asia.

But as Lego points out, GoGo Bars are a very different situation and the price we pay has little or nothing to do with the cost of beer.

Liked

Okay... Washington, D.C. Gogo bars... The price for beer is $5 as was the mixed drink I had.
    If memory serves me right, I was paying about the same price back in the 80's at other gogo bars in DC

Banned
    Liked

Wow, you Yanks sure have it easy!

But have prices really dropped 25% in the last 10-15 years?

You won't find a beer for $5 in any sort of bar in in Singapore, Shanghai or Sydney or anywhere in between these days.

But "back in the 80s"...that's at least 25 years ago. Surely you weren't old enough to by a beer in those days?

Liked

Just a side note... I do what I want when I want when it comes to my social life. Nothing is written in stone and nothing is as obvious as a post reader may think. Life, moods and budget is ever changing as well are those that we come in contact with. What may be true for today, may not be true for tomorrow. We humans are always changing and evolving and adapting to new situations.

As life happens, so will I.... (I like that....)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMee
    Wow, you Yanks sure have it easy!

But have prices really dropped 25% in the last 10-15 years?

You won't find a beer for $5 in any sort of bar in in Singapore, Shanghai or Sydney or anywhere in between these days.

But "back in the 80s"...that's at least 25 years ago. Surely you weren't old enough to by a beer in those days?
    I turn 50 this year.... I have been sneaking into bars back in the early 80's before I was of legal age to get in with proper ID

Liked: 1

I rarely go to Soi Twilight any more for a drink since the prices are extortionate. 300-400 Baht for a beer is absurd even if there is a show.

Go to Silom Soi 4 - prices for the same beer vary around the 80 to 120 Baht range and then go to Silom Soi 2 and pay 150 Baht to end off the night.

Liked

Bucknaway you have been a member of this forum since 2005 getting on to 9 years.Sure the price of beer may change but think about your US exchange rate and do not blame the traders. The number of yanks who come here now is down substantially not because the price of beer, but the exchange rate, flights,hotels,drinks and boys.

But will you tell me the bars where you go in the US that have cock shows, jackoffs and maybe even fucking for your $3 ,let me know

I certainly did not see any my last two trips, the price was much higher with no shows.

BTW I am still in a stage of shock after having 3 beers at the public airport lounge at Singapore. I asked the cost and it was $17 Did not understand they were $17 each. That was expensive beer bar sitting in a lounge with no show.
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves