Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Asian food and MSG

Asian food and MSG

Talking about the health of Thai food in another thread, reminded me about a nasty exception: MSG. Monosodium glutimate is a flavour enhancer added to many foods both eastern and western . This stuff is everywhere in asia though. Food producers vary the name of it, depending on how it's made. Yeast extract, hydrolised vegetable protein are such names.

Sometimes the stuff gives me really sharp headaches so it can't be good for me. Anyone else had this problem? Ever asked the Thai waiter to omit it from a dish? The problem for me is that I am a Thai soup lover, and chicken stock is used as a base. These stocks, and other ready made sauces are full of MSG, whether or not the chef elects to add his own sprinkle. It's difficult to get away from! I must get a houseboy to cook for me.

Oh how I miss tom yum goong!!

Thanks for bringing up this topic. I am quite sensitive to MSG ... my sinuses practically swell closed after consuming MSG. Luckily I can simply breath through my mouth, but it is obviously not a Good Thing.

But, I have a problem trying to indicate my MSG sensitivity to Thai restaurant staff, since I don't know the word for it in Thai.

So... what is mono-sodium-glutamate called in paasaa thai?

(FYI, in Japanese it's "ajinomoto.")

Someone once explained to me how/why MSG works as a flavor enhancer: it starts the digestive decomposition of the food matter (meat?) before it enters your mouth, and in the process releases more flavor. I wonder if that is an urban myth, because the explanation continues to state that the digestive action of MSG also continues in the alimentary canal, possibly damaging the esophagus, stomach, intestines, etc. Yuck.

MSG doesn't assist in food digestion because it is not an enzyme. My understanding of MSG is that it overexcites nervous tissues, causing intensified activity. One would guess that this would produce intensified flavour on the tongue from "over excited taste buds". It acts on you, not the food I think.

Despite reading that MSG apparently does not cross the blood brain barrier in high amounts, I cannot deny the headaches I get after eating the stuff. Sorry I do not know the thai translation for MSG, I would also like to know.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Objective,

My life experiences with MSG are low grade headaches followed by the intense need to consume lots of H2O. Thais love it. If I had a choice, 'Mai kahp.'

Dax

MSG is a flavor enhancer, as is sugar, salt and amino acids in general, acting via taste cells and their specific receptors, in Thai "tsoulot" ???? which only means flavoring. If you don't want it, say: mai tong sai tsoulot khrap!

seems not possible to write in Thai!?

Liked

If used in moderation...

My understanding of MSG is that it overexcites nervous tissues, causing intensified activity.
    how is it with Thai boys?