Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: New bar opened in old Topman,the Scotland Discussion

Liked

Re: New bar opened in old Topman,the Scotland Discussion

Interesting points.

I find the following points in particular persuasive;

Pt 3) That the UK Parliament has already agreed to "work cooperatively" in the case of cecession by Scotland.
    Pt 4) The Irish case as a precedent. Most of Ireland left the union by agreement in 1922. The treaty must have covered the currency issue because the pound sterling was used in S. Ireland alone up to the 1928 and up to the 1970's alongside the Irish pound.
    Pt. re deposits. Nobody likes to give back deposits. Ever try to get back a deposit from a Thai landlord? Probably the same in Westminister.

Good luck with the vote but I think it will be a 60/40 in the wrong direction for you.

Liked

Thaiguest, you may be right about the result - or I might be right in the other direction - only time will tell.

One thing's for sure - if it's a NO, the UK backlash will be ferocious.

:-ss

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy
    Thaiguest, you may be right about the result - or I might be right in the other direction - only time will tell.

One thing's for sure - if it's a NO, the UK backlash will be ferocious.

:-ss
    I think no backlash.

The gentleman in black velvet is no longer toasted in Scotland except among a few in the isles and highs.

Liked

I see Sean Connery has said from his homes in Greece and the Bahamas that he would return to Scotland if there was a yes vote. Listening to Scottishindependence-guy he must be shitting himself. )
    [color=#0000BF]why you no risson[/color]

Liked

There are an estimated 900,000 Scots living outside Scotland who do not get to vote (mind you the ones living in England seem to be tramps/hobo's so no place of abode) and 500,000 English people living in Scotland who do have a vote. That is going to be the difference between a no vote and a yes vote. You've really messed it up there Scotty a bit like the Lib Dems with their proportional representation vote. L-) L-) L-)

Liked

I thought your position was that the English wanted shot of us?

If that's the case, surely these "English settlers" should provide an extra 500,000 votes for YES.

Make your mind up.

As for Sir Sean Connery (the best James Bond by miles) - if he wants to buy a residence in Scotland after a YES vote, that's up to him - maybe he fancies a Scottish passport.
    I'd be far more impressed if he'd enfrachise himself by doing it BEFOREHAND - like Alan Cumming.

Liked

It doesn't matter what I think since I don't have a vote in the referendum but as for non Scottish people living in Scotland the words turkeys voting for Christmas comes to mind.
    You still haven't answered the question of if Scotland does vote "yes" do you think the Shetland isles should have a vote to join Norway or in fact any other country of their choosing ?
    Also in the event of a "no" vote would you vote for coming out of Europe in a referendum or is it just England you want rid off?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by giggsy
    It doesn't matter what I think since I don't have a vote in the referendum but as for non Scottish people living in Scotland the words turkeys voting for Christmas comes to mind....
    Well, that's your opinion/assertion and I'm sure you'll be very happy together. As for the "turkeys" - if there's a YES vote and they don't like it, we are not planning to close the M74 or our airspace, so they are perfectly free to leave at any time.

...You still haven't answered the question of if Scotland does vote "yes" do you think the Shetland isles should have a vote to join Norway or in fact any other country of their choosing ?...
    I did answer it - I said quite clearly that there is no evidence whatsoever that the Shetlanders want to have such a referendum (really you're just making stuff up now).

You would do well to remember that the only reason Scotland is having a referendum is that the SNP won a landslide in the 2011 election with the Referendum as the central plank in their manifesto.

So, the position is that if the Shetlanders do indeed want a referendum, then they need to find candidates willing to stand on that platform and then to elect them! That's how democracy works! Once they have done that, they can discuss a referendum with the Government of an independent Scotland.

...Also in the event of a "no" vote would you vote for coming out of Europe in a referendum or is it just England you want rid off?
    It's the UK state we want rid of. As for having a referendum on leaving the EU, hang on a minute, haven't the Unionists (like you) spent the last 2 years telling us we are going to be expelled anyway - again I say to you, make your mind up.

Again, the way to go about securing a referendum in an independent Scotland would be to elect people standing on that platform - unless of course we copied the UK by having a totally spineless Prime Minister who bent over for a Party (UKIP) who had never won a single UK parliamentary seat!!

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy
    It's the UK state we want rid of.
    All these 19th century mentalities still wittering on about the nation state. All of that should have been killed off by the First World War whose centenary we "celebrate" this year. But we still have pathetic creatures ranting about their little piece of turf and its importance. No better than Suthep and Thaksin.

Liked

It's jaw-dropping that someone who (presumably) originates from Australia - a former colony and Dominion of the UK which transformed itself into a very successful Independent sovereign state - makes an attack on the principle of self-determination.

Further, since you say that you thought a desire for self-determination (19th Century mentality as you put it) died with the 1918 armistice, I feel obliged to point out that Australia did not finally free itself from the UK state until over 20yrs later. I'd say there's more than a little confused thinking there.

I'm not sure whether you're a deliberate hypocrite - or just a cretin. (No offence)

:o)