Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Koh Samui Trip Report 04 Jan - 09 Jan 2014

Liked

Koh Samui Trip Report 04 Jan - 09 Jan 2014

04 January тАУ 09 January 2014 Trip Report to Koh Samui

Flew Bangkok Airways from CNG Chiang Mai to USM Koh Samui on the flight earlier than the one I had booked, because when I arrived at the airport they said, тАЬthe 12:50 flight is boarding now and there are some empty seats тАУ you will need to hurry тАУ but no meal for you as we already furnished the aircraft with all of the accounted for mealsтАЭ тАУ I said, yes, since it meant that I could get to Koh Samui by 14:35 instead of 15:40 тАУ as they told me that flight would be late. So, I sacrificed a meal, even though I paid the expensive 7,290 bahts for the 1-way ticket to obtain the privilege to be on the beach before sunset. When the meals were being handed out I acted dumb when they tried to give me one, but they quickly returned to take it back and said, тАЬSir, you canтАЩt have a mealтАЭ тАУ all of the other passengers looked at me as if I was a convict тАУ as they could not understand why the Bangkok Airways staff would say that to me. Prior to boarding I had purchased a modest sandwich and I was content to eat that.

After flying for 1 hour 45 minutes, arriving to the Koh Samui International Airport is quite a pleasant surprise because the first impact is the beauty of the island, the fact that the airport is all outside тАУ an open air bus (that looks like a ride from Disneyland) picks you up from the aircraft and transports you to the open air arrivals terminal. It reminded me of one of my trips to one of the Hawaiian Islands where it had a similar look тАУ tropical paradise тАУ the sun was bright and it was hot and humid тАУ a big change from the climate of Chiang Mai which was cooler and much less humid.

Took a taxi to the AKWA Guesthouse in South Chaweng Beach. I chose the AKWA because it is тАЬgay-friendlyтАЭ and I read that the Dutch owner, Martin is very friendly and the rates are reasonably priced тАУ which is important considering that Koh Samui is oriented towards resorts and the more wealthy tourists. I was shown to my penthouse room up on the 3rd floor which had a nice view of the street in front of the guesthouse facing towards the Poppies Resort which is on the beach. The outdoor terrace is very big with 2 lounge chairs, 2 normal chairs, and a small table and the most interesting thing are the two small тАШGaneshтАЩ shrines on the terrace in the corner with some food offerings to the spirits to protect the guesthouse from harm. Obviously, I never disturbed these 2 important objects as I also wanted to be protected from harm as well.

[attachment=6:3mg42cyk]AKWA_Ganesh_shrine_on_my_penthouse_terrace.jpg[/attachment:3mg42cyk]

Unpacked my bags and headed out for the тАЬgay beachтАЭ. Most of the guides indicate that it is in front of the Trade Winds hotel. I walked the entire length of the Chaweng beach area and never found it. I will have to investigate by asking around later at the bars. So, I made my own gay beach at the Billy SeaBeach and swam and then ate some food. Note that the service at this bar/caf├й on the beach is extremely slow тАУ food was good тАУ but only go if you have time to waste.

Back to guesthouse, relaxed, showered and headed out to the busy Chaweng Beach Road to check out good places to eat and to see where the gay places were. Unlike Chiang Mai, I was located much closer to the gay places which were 15 minutes away by foot. The trick to find the 4 or 5 gay places is to first find the Solo bar and/or Terminal restaurant on the main Chaweng Beach Road (opposite side from the famous ARK bar) and go down this soi towards the Chaweng Stadium where there is Muay Thai boxing. This soi is shaped like a horse-shoe (U-turn) and on the left side of the U-turn are the Pride Bar and G-Spot bars and then on the other side are the K-Club and Gay Point bars. I made the below map for all of you ; as it makes things much easier to find and understand. I discovered that there is so much competition between most of the gay venues in Koh Samui that this prevents a unified picture of what is going on as many of the businesses are NOT united towards a collective тАЬgay marketingтАЭ approach to doing business and instead they are fragmented, which makes it hard for us tourists to understand what is going on.

[attachment=5:3mg42cyk]map_of_gay_zone_in_Chaweng_Koh_Samui.jpg[/attachment:3mg42cyk]

My first stop was at the Gay Point (166/25 Moo 2, Chaweng Road) on Saturday 04 January, and we were 5 farangs and there were 2 Thai customers. Then there were Jay (the fun manager) and the ladyboy bartender who kept serving up drinks to us all night long. For every drink that you ordered Jay or LB would accompany it with random shots. In the beginning things were quiet but after the booze was flowing and after a few shots, us farangs were then buying the other unknown guests rounds of shots. I spoke to a nice couple from Germany next to me and another farang from the USA. I am not much of a drinker, and after a couple of hours I had to leave as I could feel I was going to get sick from being super intoxicated. So, Gay Point is a fun place and it is thanks to Jay and LB for breaking the hard ice that us farangs sometimes create and then it was great. Well worth visiting.

Sunday, 05 January I ate a great breakfast in the AKWA guesthouse down in the bar area тАУ the breakfast is not included in the room rate тАУ but that is ok with me because the breakfast is served all day and that is what I prefer instead of having a тАЬfreeтАЭ breakfast where the hotel dictates to you when you need to eat it. AKWA has a large and complete breakfast menu and is similar to the wonderful тАЬButter is BetterтАЭ place that I reviewed in my Chiang Mai trip report.

Then I headed off to the beach looking again for the тАЬgay beachтАЭ, in the area around the Trade Winds hotel, but no luck. From the prior night adventure many of the locals told me that Koh Samui does not have enough of an established local gay community to maintain a gay beach. In addition, since Koh Samui is oriented towards resorts and тАЬpeople in loveтАЭ and all of that romantic stuff тАУ it does not attract much of a gay tourism and consequently it is a struggle for the island gay businesses to keep their doors open. In addition, it is hard for us tourists to meet the locals as most Thais are from elsewhere (Isaan) and unemployment is very low so everyone is busy working and even the gay venues have difficulties maintaining gay staff as they are often being stolen away by the other gay businesses who are competing for the same limited number of gay human resources.

So, I created my own gay beach in front of the construction area (of the new OZ complex), as it is sandy and free of the resort chairs and I sometimes like to lay down on a towel directly on the beautiful sand and just tan, and swim. There was much eye candy around, but not many single guys as they were mostly hooked up in couples or groups. But the nature scenery is breathtaking with large coconut trees, white sand, and crystal clear blue water.

Back to the guesthouse and then I went to search for the ThaiBoy Men Spa, (21/138 Moo 3 Bophut (Chaweng) Samui). It is not on the main Chaweng Beach road but more inland. The key to find it is to search for the Walking street and to walk to the end of it (it is short) and then you will be near the Petchbuncha Muay Thai boxing stadium. After the stadium is the Laem Din market and then more ahead on the same main road on the left you will see the CS Hotel and the ThaiBoy Men Spa. Perhaps 10 minutes from the main beach road by foot.

[attachment=4:3mg42cyk]Thaiboy_Men_Spa_Chaweng.jpg[/attachment:3mg42cyk]

I met Tom, the Swiss owner and right away we hit it off. He is great fun and a very informative guy. If you want to know all about the inner workings of the gay businesses on Koh Samui, he is the man to ask. I ordered a 90 minute Aloe Vera massage with Non (I would guess that he was about 27 years old) a nice gay guy who is a dancer at the Starz Cabaret place. He has very sexy muscular dancer legs and he gives a nice massage тАУ although it is more on the sensual side instead of the harder stronger massages that I prefer. The тАЬhappy endingтАЭ was good and sensual like the massage. Showered and then Non had to run off to work as a Starz dancer. I then hung out with Tom and had a great long conversation about what is it like for an ex-pat from Switzerland to live on Koh Samui тАУ he gave me the inside scoop on what it is like to live there, have romances with Thais, and to conduct gay business on the island. I paid 900 baht to the Spa for the massage and 1,500 to Non. Then I asked Tom if he could organize a full day tour of Samui for me on Tuesday 7 January. I believe that he quoted me 3,000 baht for the day plus incidentals.

Being tired after the massage I only went out to eat and called it a night.

Monday 6 January, again I searched for the тАЬgay beachтАЭ and no luck again, so I walked down to the тАЬMonkey BeachтАЭ, a place that I noticed and liked. They have excellent quick waiter service and great wi-fi. Also, it is near the OZ resort construction site where I liked swimming and taking in the sun. No gays in sight but some pockets of nice eye candy.

After a day at the beach I searched for the Mekkala Men Spa, which is on the former, тАЬRainbow AvenueтАЭ, near the Trade Winds Hotel, just off the Chaweng Beach Road. I found out from the locals that the original plan for the тАЬRainbow AvenueтАЭ was to create a little gay mecca in Chaweng. Unfortunately, like in many gay places all over the world, this plan fell through some years ago and the other former bars that were located there closed and now only remains Mekkala тАУ as almost all of the Samui gay nightlife has moved over to the 2 sois that are behind the Solo Bar and Starz Cabaret near the Chaweng Muay Thai boxing stadium.

[attachment=3:3mg42cyk]Mekkala_Men_Spa_Chaweng.jpg[/attachment:3mg42cyk]

I sat with Ajay, the owner/manager and we decided on a 90 minutes cream massage, as I was somewhat sunburned. I chose, Q, a beautiful тАЬstraightтАЭ guy (perhaps 26 years old) who is from Isaan. The massage was very good and intense and just the way I like it. When we got to the end, Q asked me if I want the "special" and I said yes and he gave me a great blow job followed by a sensual hand job. Not bad for a guy who says he is straight. Showered afterwards and paid Ajay the 1,000 baht fee to the Spa and I gave Q 1,500 for a massage well done. Mekkala is a nice place but it is best if you reserve in advance if you want a greater selection of guys, as there is a shortage of massage workers on Samui and they are often pulled from one massage place to another.

Back to the guesthouse for a shower and change of clothes and then walked over to the Terminal restaurant for an excellent surf&turf dinner (where I drooled at the Chef тАУ he was a hot masculine Thai guy) and then headed over to the K-Club. Unlike the Gay Point bar, which is run by Jay and LB, K-Club must have had 6 young guys working as host bar boys. Right away, the most queeny youngest one latched onto me as there were only 3 customers in the bar. It is a very nice place and they also offer massage services (the business name for this other entity is тАЬTogether MassageтАЭ) upstairs, and they have explicit menus on display that show menu items like, тАЬcock massageтАЭ, тАЬball massageтАЭ, etc. I did not try any as I was already spent from my Mekkala massage from Q. So, I bought my queeny young host boy a drink and he tried to kiss me and all of that stuff and I tried to make him understand that he was not my type. Anyway, after he calmed down and realized that I was not going to kick him away, I decided to have an Anonone moment, (at this point there was only me and one other farang customer in K-Club who was busy most of the night deep kissing and dry-humping the sexy manager, Jessy) so I told all of the 5 other host boys who were not with the only one other customer that drinks were on me. As Anonone often wrote on this board, it truly livened things up and everyone was happy and dancing, and I was carrying on with all of the boys as around that time the Muay Thai boxing show had let out from the nearby Chaweng Stadium and we decided to entice the passing customers to come into the K-Club including some of the HOT Muay Thai boxers. It was a lot of fun тАУ mostly the passing ladies would joke around with us тАУ but when their men figured out what kind of bar we were they would freak out and quickly run away. Unfortunately, we did not get any of the Muay Thai boys into the bar тАУ it is too close to the stadium where they fight and they have an image to maintain. After a few rounds of drinks тАУ I called it a night and left alone. There was one guy I would have loved to have offed but I could not get rid of the queeny host boy. Anyway, it was a great time and I recommend this bar тАУ just be ready for intense pressure from the bar boys, especially if there are no customers around. In the end, they are just a bunch of fun young guys.

Tuesday 07 January тАУ the big day tour with Tom from ThaiBoy Men Spa. He picked me up around 10:30 in a white car (Nissan?) and we headed off for Lamai, which is the next beach south of Chaweng. We went to a high view point to appreciate the views of Lamai and Chaweng from afar тАУ it was beautiful. Then we drove to the south end of Lamai beach to the famous тАЬGrandmother and Grandfather rocksтАЭ, which are similar to a vagina, which occasionally becomes wet from the waves washing up and a penis . Took the required souvenir photos and then we were off to do one of the things that I did not get to do in Chiang Mai, which was to go on an Elephant Safari. So, the next stop was to the beautiful Namuang Jungle and Waterfall Park.

[attachment=2:3mg42cyk]Numuang_safari_elephant_adventure_with_Tom.jpg[/attachment:3mg42cyk]

After our adventure with Lala, and roughing it in the jungle, we walked over to the giant Namuang waterfall to take a swim. Of course I asked all of the stupid tourist questions before jumping into the water тАУ are there any snakes or crocodiles here? We survived and it was VERY refreshing after our safari adventure.

[attachment=1:3mg42cyk]Numuang_safari_elephant_adventure_with_Tom_waterfa ll.jpg[/attachment:3mg42cyk]

Then we dried off and stopped for refreshments тАУ 2 freshly cut and opened coconuts. Now that was nice. Back to the car and off to my favorite part of our adventure, a private deserted beach that is near the 5-Island Hotel resort in the Taling Ngam section of Koh Samui. We stopped the car just before arriving to the 5-Island Hotel resort and then back tracked on foot in the opposite direction through an abandoned wooden foot path where there were parts of it with overgrowth and we had to bush whack our way forward and parts of the footpath were falling down. Then we arrived underneath an old Chinese burial shrine and from there were steep steps down to the beautiful secluded beach, with little private coves.

--> photo was not inserted due to Sawatdeenetwork 7 photo limit - to see photo go to;

http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/uploa ... 053415.jpg

We did stumble across someone sleeping on one of the caves but we just continued forward to our own private beach cove, and then got naked and swam. We were literally in front of the 5 Islands off in the distance in the open sea and it was breathtaking and it was great to be naked тАУ as I know in the LOS it is prohibited to be naked. I am sorry that I cannot share any web links or other info to this secluded place тАУ you will just need to contact Tom to find the secret way to get there. I donтАЩt believe that I could find it again if I were not with Tom.

--> photo was not inserted due to Sawatdeenetwork 7 photo limit - to see photo go to;

http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/uploa ... 053431.jpg

After about 1 hour of swimming and soaking in the sun, we had to head back towards the car and we stopped at one of the beachfront stands and ate a great late Thai food lunch with a stunning view of the 5-Islands and sunset.

[attachment=0:3mg42cyk]A_view_of_the_5_islands_with_a_sunset.jpg[/attachment:3mg42cyk]

So, not to be outdone, Tom drove around the rest of the Samui Island (we had done a full circle of the island) bringing me back to his ThaiBoy Men Spa, where he had arranged a 90 minute massage for me with Nam тАУ a very sexy gay guy. It was a perfect ending to a perfect day and Tom is an excellent host and tour guide and I highly recommend if you go to Koh Samui that you should go and meet him.

Wednesday 08 January тАУ during the previous dayтАЩs journey I had inadvertently put my smartphone in a bag of seawater. DonтАЩt ask me how I had done such a stupid thing. So, I spent most of today going from one repair shop to another hoping to find someone who could perform a miracle on my phone. I was very upset as I lost many important messages and photos that were supposed to be included in my trip reports for Chiang Mai, and Koh Samui. Anyway, I wasted most of the day with this task and in the end my phone could not be saved. Sea water is the worst, as it immediately corrodes the inside of the phone and causes an immediate short circuit, as the salt water is full of ions that conduct electricity which short out all of the circuits. So, I decided to wait for my trip to Pattaya to buy a new smartphone at the famous Tuk.com mall (the one that is like MBK in BKK).

For my last night in Koh Samui, I went to the Pride bar which is in the same soi as all of the other gay bars. It is very nice and on the elegant side. There were 2 people working the bar and 4 customers. Since it is not a host boy bar, it is not easy to meet other people. It is better if you are already with a group of people or if you want to meet a date there and chill out. So, with my backup emergency phone (very old) I cruised a guy from GR to meet me but he kept stopping in all of the other gay bars telling me he was there. I would always respond that I was at the Pride Bar and eventually I told him that I donтАЩt like this game and if he wants to meet me he needed to walk the extra 100 meters to the gay bar where I was. He never came, so I paid the bill to leave and immediately at that moment, this guy arrived out of nowhere and ordered a shot of whiskey and said hello to me and I was polite and said hello to him and then he walked away down the soi towards the Muay Thai boxing stadium. Then I left and I received another GR message saying тАУ тАЬwhere are you going? I just came into the Pride bar and took a shot of whiskey and said hello to youтАЭ. I just ignored his messages. I thought to myself тАУ that was a very weird encounter and I did not get good vibes тАУ so just went back to the guesthouse to pack and go to sleep.

Thursday 09 January тАУ checked out of the AKWA guesthouse and took a taxi to the exotic Koh Samui International airport and flew to Pattaya with Bangkok Airways departing at 11:10am and arriving at 12:25pm, costing 5,210 bahts тАУ not bad considering what I paid to fly from Chiang Mai to Koh Samui.

Would I go to Koh Samui again?

Probably not тАУ if I was single тАУ as Koh Samui is more a romantic place and for gays does not offer too much for single guys. The night life is ok тАУ but after Bangkok and Chiang Mai тАУ it is a very small scene and it is extremely hard to meet gay Samui guys. In the entire 5 days I only met 3 тАУ they were all straight. However, note that Koh Samui is one of the most beautiful places that I have ever been to тАУ up there with Hawaii тАУ a must do in the land of smiles at least one time.

This concludes my Koh Samui trip report.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Re: Koh Samui Trip Report 04 Jan - 09 Jan 2014

Very thorough and informative report, and maps as well! Thanks for taking the trouble.

Liked

Hello Impala,

Thanks for the compliment.

Reflecting on my 25 days in Thailand - one of the most frustrating time wasters was trying to find gay places. Even with smartphone GPS technology it was often hard to do.

So, I decided to start to include maps in my trip reports as a community service back to this boards members. I would much rather spend time with the guys and seeing the sites instead of running around being lost....

cheers,

M.

Liked

Thank you for the nice report. I was thinking about going to Samui in February, but even though it seems to be a nice place, I will go to Bali instead.
    Cheers !

Liked

Thanks for your report. Some comments, based on my trip in 2011:

There is no gay beach in Samui (although some maps show one). I asked a few gay boys in 2011.

Flight prices to Samui are high compared to elsewhere in Thailand because the airport is owned by Bangkok Airways (they can dictate prices, no competition unless you want to go by ferry).

If your phone has an external memory card, maybe this card survived the salt water?

Did you use any form of public transport? Serious overcharging is deterring me from returning to Samui (or going to Phuket).

...I cruised a guy from GR to meet me but he kept stopping in all of the other gay bars telling me he was there. I would always respond that I was at the Pride Bar and eventually I told him that I donтАЩt like this game and if he wants to meet me he needed to walk the extra 100 meters to the gay bar where I was. He never came, so I paid the bill to leave and immediately at that moment, this guy arrived out of nowhere...
    I had a very similar situation in Bangkok (described in detail in the retard thread), but with a happy ending.

Liked

Christian wrote, "If your phone has an external memory card, maybe this card survived the salt water?"

yes, the external memory card survived the salt water swim. However, many photos were in the WhatsApp folder that was on the smartphone internal memory and those photos and things that I wrote in the notepad program for these posts were lost ;<(( It was an expensive lesson due to my stupidity.

Christian wrote, "Did you use any form of public transport? Serious overcharging is deterring me from returning to Samui (or going to Phuket)."

No, I did not use public transport. Since I was staying in Chaweng I was able to easily walk to all of the things that I wanted to do and see. However, I had to hire a guide in order to see the rest of the island. I did see buses going around the island - but I do not know how they function. In Chaweng, I did see baht buses like they have in Chiang Mai and Pattaya but I heard that instead of 10 or 20 baht they can be 30 or 40 baht as Koh Samui must import almost everything including bottles of gas for the car and motorbikes.

Lastly, with the weird guy from GR - I did not want to risk to find out if it would have been a "happy ending" - my 6th sense had bad vibes - and if I cannot relax with someone then the sex won't be good - at least for me....