Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Rocks fly as Thai protests flare again

Liked

Rocks fly as Thai protests flare again

Rocks fly as Thai protests flare again

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/wo ... 6790133451

SCORES of protesters seeking to halt preparations for elections in Thailand have fought with police in Bangkok, as the country's festering political crisis again flared into violence.

Officers fired tear gas and rubber bullets toward protesters trying to force their way into a sports stadium where candidates were gathering to draw lots for their position on polling papers, according to an Associated Press reporter at the scene.

The demonstrators, some armed with sling shots, throw rocks and attempted to break through police lines. Inside the stadium, candidates for at least 27 parties took part in the lot-drawing process, which apparently went on unaffected despite the turmoil outside the gates.

Some election officials later left the stadium by helicopter to avoid the unrest, the local media reported.

There were no immediate reports of serious injuries as a result of clashes, which were contained to the area around the stadium.

It was the first violent incident in nearly two weeks of daily protests on the streets of Bangkok.

The protesters have been demanding that Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra step down since mid-October, and street unrest has occasionally broken out. They oppose the polls scheduled for February 2 because Ms Yingluck is seen as sure to win them.

Police have largely shown restraint and have made no move to arrest the ringleader, Suthep Thaugsuban, who is demanding the country be led by an unelected council until reforms can be implemented.

Thailand has been wracked by political conflict since Ms Yingluck's brother, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, was toppled by a 2006 military coup. The protesters accuse Yingluck of being a proxy for Mr Thaksin, who lives in self-imposed exile to avoid jail time for a corruption conviction but still wields influence in the country.

Mr Thaksin or his allies have won every election since 2001 thanks to strong support in the north and northeast of the country. His supporters say he is disliked by Bangkok's elite because he has shifted power away from the traditional ruling class, which have strong links to the royal family.

Ms Yingluck yesterday announced a proposal for a national reform council to come up with a compromise to the crisis, but it was rejected by the protesters. They now plan more civil disobedience and street protests in a bid to provoke such chaos that Ms Yingluck will be forced to resign as caretaker.

The country's main opposition party, which is allied with the protesters, is boycotting the elections, which Ms Yingluck called early in hopes of giving her a fresh mandate and defusing the crisis.

Ms Yingluck led the country for two years relatively smoothly. But in October, her government tried to introduce an amnesty law that would have allowed Mr Thaksin to return to the country as a free man, sparking the latest round of unrest.

Liked

Re: Rocks fly as Thai protests flare again

A policeman is dead and there are other serious injuries. I'm considering bringing my departure forward. Is civil war far away?
    "If you think you understood what I said you weren't listening" - Alan Greenspan

Espa??a some times - Pattaya rest of the time.
    Liked: 1

OMG I leave for there Tomorrow @-)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Sooty
    A policeman is dead and there are other serious injuries. I'm considering bringing my departure forward. Is civil war far away?
    A civil war hasn't been far away since years, if you get my drift.

IMHO: Unfortunately, it's pretty much impossible to predict if/when it will actually break out - it could happen suddenly or not at all.
    Yes, grandpa, I know it used to be more fun 30 years ago...

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dani69
    OMG I leave for there Tomorrow @-)
    " ... I'm considering bringing my departure forward. Is civil war far away? ... "
    Have no fear. Haven't you ever heard of the saying/cliche "May you live in interesting times"?
    If you end up in a demonstration (by mistake? ): observe it, take pictures ... god knows that's what most of the demonstrators are doing. Watch out for the rocks!
    If you run across some megalomaniac like Suthep screaming into a microphone: listen to it, watch the crowds, watch the intensity (but please, enough with the whistles).
    If you happen to be in the overhead walkway between Chidlom and Siam stations ~ like we were last Sunday: look down, watch the mob's wave motions, gauge it's 'fervour' quotient.
    Living (and visiting) in an oligarchical status-ridden corrupt military/police dictatorship which likes to call itself a democracy can be a truly interesting experience.

You can always escape to the beach.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    " ... A civil war hasn't been far away since years, if you get my drift.
    IMHO: Unfortunately, it's pretty much impossible to predict if/when it will actually break out - it could happen suddenly or not at all
    ... "
    I don't know Lego ... the Thai people just don't seem to me to be of the Civil War 'type'. The sense of a national (and amorphous) "Thai-ness" binding all Thais is very ingrained and very strong and very misunderstood, often ignored, by westerners.

But a coup (which by definition, would be a military coup)? That's another story, and always a possibility as certainly coups are not unknown in this country, and in fact many have been made over the last 80 years or so.

Up to this point (i.e. today, Friday, 27 December) it seems that this particular military does not have the inclination to make a coup ("to keep civil peace and order" as is always the excuse) an in fact I believe that this in itself might well be Mr Suthep's final undoing.

It's my gut feeling that Suthep in fact wished to see much more violence and mayhem ~ even deaths ~ than has actually occurred . . . all so that the Army would eventually intervene on the yellow shirt side. I think that was his final dream, and it has not happened.
    Ironically ~ in this irony-infused country ~ Mr Prayuth (the head honcho of the Thai army) may well become the Saviour of Democracy this time around ... by doing nothing!

On the other hand: this is Thailand, and nothing is ever predictable here, especially to the western mind.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

All just a dress rehearsal for after the event that can't be that far away.
    "If you think you understood what I said you weren't listening" - Alan Greenspan

Don't be such a big girl Sooty. Make the most of it while you can, before Thailand turns into another Syria.