Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Gay Hotel in Phnom Penh?

Liked

Re: New Gay Hotel in Phnom Penh?

This looks nice & I hope the business is successful.

However, personally I'm not in the market for $110 a night hotels in Cambodia when $30~40 generally gets a satisfactory room.

Quote Originally Posted by a447
    Hopefully, being high season,mothers will be more guests at the hotel ...I feel much more comfortable in a full on gay hotel - no women or screaming kids frolicking around the pool
    Huh??

Liked

Lol

Sorry, I meant "others."

Autocorrect!

BTW, beware any guest who pisses in the pool - they have a urine detector. (Damn!)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447
    Lol

BTW, beware any guest who pisses in the pool - they have a urine detector. (Damn!)
    lol and you know this HOW exactly ! ?? :-)

Liked

They have signs posted on the walls around the pool.

I spotted them just in time! Phew!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Ewwwww actually im not exactly sure as to whether it impresses me or not that a 100 dollar plus a night hotel feels the NEED to put up a sign requesting and advising their guests not to piss in their pool as they have a device to spot you as that to me is more sending a mixed message to me as to the type of guests they REALLY think they are hosting ;-) like I said ewwww :-(

Ps I've often heard of such devices but never seen one in action, so does anyone know DO they actually work and if so how, see the James Bond side of me would like to imagine something with loud klaxon like sirens going off and 1 million watt search lights automatically swinging round on pedestals to illuminate the offender but I'm guessing the truth is a little less dramatic, which for a gay hotel is I fear quite disappointing :-( lol

And see the trouble with such a sign being displayed to me would be that from a kid I've always had mad urges to rile against any sort of authority and if there's a sign saying don't do something it's usually was fairly sure way of getting me to try it. As a kid if I seen a sign over a big red button saying do NOT push except in emergency in elevators or walkways etc then stand back as I was SO pressing it ! :-)

So any big sign saying "we have a device to spot people pissing in the pool" would I fear just force me against all my better judgement to have to put it to the scientific test just to see if they were bluffing or not ! - meanwhile being sure that I was of course standing right next to some other poor guest so that when the sirens and lights went off I could loudly blame them in mock disgust as I left the pool scowling at them and tutting loudly about the low class of guests staying at this establishment to the management !! Lol. ( joke !!)

Liked

In my experience, there seems to be no correlation between the price of the hotel room and the behaviour of the guests.

I frequently stayed in a very nice hotel in Paris when I was working; it cost a lot more than the A and P hotel (I didn't pay - the company did) and the behaviour of some of the guests was often disgusting. For example, one night we were chatting in the lobby before going upstairs to bed when an immaculately dressed group staying at the hotel returned and all pissed up against the door before coming inside! The next morning, reception told me that the police had been called and the guests were evicted - with no refund.

People spewing in the corridors on the Wilton-Berber, ugly fights over dinner in hotel restaurants, a food fight(!!!) at breakfast...I've seen it all. And I'll bet I'm not the only one who has witnessed people behaving as if they were staying at a youth hostel.

I don't know how the urine detector works; probably a chemical in the water that turns bright red or something when it detects urine. But in any case, the water in the pool is purified and apparently chlorine-free, and it really is crystal clear. Anyone pissing would be spotted immediately - no dye required.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Arthur& Paul: Checked in 23 Dec, checked out 25 Dec, five nights earlier than I had booked. Two problems for me (70+ yrs old): Loud music about 10 hours a day, emanating from the bar/restaurant below my room, and spiral staircase with no handrails and a hazardous descent for taller guests (they've even installed padding so that when you bumb your head it won't hurt so much).

Guests who are younger and shorter than me, and less influenced by the Puritan upbringing I was subjected to in the 1950's, will probably enjoy the ambience, but to me, viewing a 60 yr old Frenchman sunbathing nude was not a pretty sight. (If there had been a number of young, cute Cambodian guys doing the same, I would not have checked out.) I did not use the sauna. I can't imagine anyone enjoying the sight of me wearing only a towel, or less.

Still, if it is important for you to stay at the most expensive gay hotel in PP simply because guests and staff are all male, then Arthur&Paul would be recommended. All of the reviews on Tripadvisor are very positive.

So, I moved next door to the Rambutan Hotel, gay friendly but not exclusively gay. Warm reception from those staff who rememered my earlier visits. I had stayed there twice, slightly disturbed by the presence of families with children and thought it was noisy when outside guests used the pool on Sundays. This time no children, and now I have a very quiet room reached by a standard staircase which is user friendly.

I much prefer it this way. Short tuk-tuk trips to Hatha Khmer massage on Street 368 give me all the gay ambience and satisfaction that I need. Never had a bad experience there.

Liked

I agree with you, Bob, about the age thing - I saw an old naked guy there, too, sunbathing nude and it certainly wasn't a pretty sight! But I lived in the hope of seeing a few young guys, but it wasn't to be. I'm hoping for better things - I'll be back at A and P in January, and then it should be more crowded.

I never had a problem with music and was able to sleep in until lunchtime without any problems.

I like its location, so close to Hatha. And like you, it's basically all I need.

Keep up the good work. You're proving that age is no barrier and I admire your determination to get out there and enjoy yourself. We are all heading your way age-wise,and you give me hope...lol. Even if we slow down, we can still have fun.

You're a real inspiration.

Liked

why do you need a gay hotel? just book a normal hotel