Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has the price gone up?

Liked

Has the price gone up?

тАж or to be more specific, has the price charged by go-go boys in Bangkok gone up to 2,000 baht for a short time, or is my experience, which IтАЩm about to relate, just an isolated incident?

After being in Thailand for over 2 months I decided to visit a тАШSoi TwilightтАЩ go-go bar for the first time this trip, figuring, blow the expense, letтАЩs see what I am missing. LOL!

I decided on Hotmale Bar as IтАЩd seen my erstwhile regular waiter working at a new bar and thought it would be a safe option and I was trying to avoid two other тАШboysтАЩ.

Immediately I sat down I liked one boy above all others, but there were quite a few to choose from that suited my taste. The youngest, cutest mamasan IтАЩd ever seen sat with me and asked if I liked any of the тАШboysтАЩ. Well, apart from him тАж LOL! I indicated that I liked one тАШboyтАЩ in particular, but it was too early to decide.

Oh my God! One of the boys whom IтАЩd been ignoring when he тАШphoned was now working in the bar as a coyote dancer! He is from Laos and I first met him in the now closed Heartbeat Club. Then, to cap it all and make matters worse, the other boy whom IтАЩve been ignoring and, who I thought was working in X-Boys, was now working as a go-go boy! Although he was a coyote dancer when I first met him. He is from Cambodia and wanted to be my boyfriend during my last trip earlier this year. And, if looks could kill, I swear I would have instantly been reduced to a pile of dust and unable to recount my experience here on SN! LOL!

Later, another mamasan sat with me and asked if I liked any of the тАШboysтАЩ. I indicated which тАШboyтАЩ I was interested in, but I could not see him, the mamasan then pointed out тАШmyтАЩ boy was sitting with a female on the other side of the bar. тАЭOh тАж is he straight then?тАЭ I asked. тАЬNo, he gay.тАЭ The mamasan replied, тАЬHe just talking.тАЭ Surprisingly, I still felt disappointed.

After another short period a third mamasan then sat next to me and asked the same question as the previous two mamasans. Again I made the same reply, but added that the тАШboyтАЩ was sitting with a woman. тАЬAh, he just talking, he will not go, he can sit with you.тАЭ тАЬOh, no, no.тАЭ I said, тАЬLet him sit with the woman.тАЭ The mamasan then left me. At that point I thought it would be better if I just left the bar to avoid any further complications with my two former тАШacquaintancesтАЩ, but before I could do anything, the too quick off the mark mamasan brought тАШmyтАЩ boy across to see me. I apologised to him and said I was sorry to interrupt his conversation, I didnтАЩt know the mamasan was going to bring him to me. The very sweet boy said тАЬNever mind, no problem.тАЭ I bought him a drink, which cost 320 baht.

The mamasan approached us and asked if I wanted to book the тАШboyтАЩ. I asked him if he wanted to go with me. He said he wanted to go and then went off to change. The off fee is 400 baht.

The show was about to start and I indicated to the mamasan that I wanted to watch some of the show. It started with 4 guys covered in soapy suds and washing each other тАж seen this many times before, but this time, I found the four individuals very sexy. A lady-boy friend of тАШmyтАЩ boy accompanied the act lip-syncing to two songs, one of which was the theme to тАШTitanicтАЩ тАж a particular favourite of mine.

The second act involved candle dancing with four boys, one of whom was my previous companion from Laos, all sporting magnificent hard-ons! Hmm тАж yes, there was no doubt about it, I still found him very sexy.

While all this was going on the boy cuddled up to me and held my hand tightly. He said he was new to the bar and didnтАЩt like the work, but he needed to make lots of money. I didnтАЩt establish why the urgency, perhaps some family crisis?

We walked to Silom Road and hailed a taxi. We were back in my condo fairly quickly.

Ah тАж such a difference with a gay boy. He was so affectionate, so sexy and played his part very well. I almost forgot I was with a money boy, everything seemed so natural.

We both readily agreed to see each other again and exchanged telephone numbers. He finished off his drink, got dressed and I took some photos of him. I thought to myself that I would happily see him 2 or 3 times a week he was so lovely and had made such a good impression on me. He was exactly the sort of guy IтАЩd happily have a relationship with if it was on the cards.

I then handed him the usual 1,600 baht for a short-time and was surprised at the look on his face. I checked the notes in case IтАЩd made a mistake. He then surprised me by saying it was not enough, he wanted 2,000 baht! What? No, I said, 1,500 for a short time and 2,000 baht for a long time. No, he insisted, he wanted 2,000 baht he had his rent to pay and other things I didnтАЩt quite understand. Oh dear тАж I didnтАЩt want, what had been up until that point, a very lovely evening to be spoiled. He kept repeating he needed more money. Perhaps it was my fault for not establishing from the outset the price to be paid, but I donтАЩt usually do that as I was under the impression the rates had remained unchanged at 1,500 baht for a short time.

It could have ended really badly and would have spoiled the whole fantasy and I wanted to avoid that at all costs. I did want to see him again, but at 2,000 baht an encounter it would not be as frequently as I had first thought. He wasnтАЩt going to accept the lesser amount of 1,600 baht and I didnтАЩt want to resort to asking him to leave, so I offered him a further 200 baht, which he agreed to you. But when I checked my change I had 300 baht in 100 baht notes and gave him the 300 i.e. a total of 1,900 baht, which he happily accepted. He then asked when he would see me again, so I saw that as an indication that he had not lost face and was happy with the amount paid. But good lord, 2,000 baht for little more than an hourтАЩs тАШworkтАЩ seemed positively over generous to me, especially when compared to the daily national minimum wage of 300 baht and the hard work and effort many Thais put in to their everyday employment.

I wondered afterwards if the тАШboysтАЩ are trying to make up for having fewer customers by raising their rates? Was this just an isolated incident or have the rates we pay the тАШboysтАЩ in Bangkok recently gone up. And who decides such things?

Earlier on in the evening I was totally happy with my chosen тАШboyтАЩ and would have happily seen him 2 or 3 times a week. Now I was not so sure. Perhaps IтАЩll have to restrict my outings to the Bangkok go-go bars to once or twice a month.

But, when all is said and done, I had a fantastic time with the Hotmale go-go boy. The whole thing had a dream like quality to it and it was way above the average encounter with a bar boy. So on that basis, I suppose, it was money well spent. It is just unfortunate that I canтАЩt afford too many such encounters, but I now know that he requires 2,000 baht for future visits and paying him what he wants will avoid any awkward moments at the end. In the interim, IтАЩll have to look out for less expensive Internet contacts, i.e. if they too havenтАЩt also raised their prices тАж LOL!

The next day he called me, but my тАШphone was switched off. The following day he called again, around 10:00pm, and asked if I wanted him to come round. I said it was too late, but I would see him the next evening before he started work, but on condition that I did not pay the bar fine if he wanted 2,000 baht. He readily agreed to this and I did see him again and experienced the same pleasurable time with him.

Yet again, he asked to see me the next day! I joked (although, it is actually true) I donтАЩt have the stamina for such regular sexual encounters and, although I didnтАЩt say it, тАЬтАж or the money to pay you 2,000 baht several times a weekтАЭ! LOL!

Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

Liked

Re: Has the price gone up?

If the boy had some additional financial pressures I suspect that was driving him to ask for more, but I seldom run into this situation in BKK. Many times I will provide an extra few hundred baht if service was good or I know the guy well. It does not seem like a lot more when I view it in relation to my own currency - another $10 USD approximately. But it is a lot to him.
    If you burn your neighbors house down, it doesn't make your house look any better. - Lou Holtz

Liked: 1

But good lord, 2,000 baht for little more than an hourтАЩs тАШworkтАЩ seemed positively over generous to me, especially when compared to the daily national minimum wage of 300 baht and the hard work and effort many Thais put in to their everyday employment.
    Jellybean, I have no idea who you are, how old you are or what you look like but if you are like the majority of farang customers I have seen in Soi Twilight's bars then I think it churlish to give less than the market rate for your moment of pleasure. To equate the cost your sexual requirements to the national minimum wage is degrading to all concerned.

Yes the cost of sex has gone up in Bangkok in the past 12 months so if you decide to take someone off for a quick shag back at your room you need to be aware of what costs you are incurring. Your drink = 320 Baht; the boy's drink = 320 Baht and an off fee of 400 Baht comes to 1040 Baht. Add the tip of 2000 Baht and a taxi fare and you will get little change from US$100.

With daily expenses like that it is not surprising that most sex tourists decide to try the freelancers of Silom Soi 4 and DJ Station where the drinks are in the 75 to 150 Baht range and tips are highly negotiable. It is also unsurprising that Gay Romeo and Grindr are the preferred method of meeting for most boys and punters since the off fees are nil and drink charges are reasonable. It also allows the boys to say 'No' to those whom they find 'unattractive'.

Liked

Another reason to agree on price beforehand.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by corky
    To equate the cost your sexual requirements to the national minimum wage is degrading to all concerned.
    No, it is not. In most countries the cost of sex is roughly a daily wage (information from internet and from friends), in Bangkok it's the sevenfold, clearly out of the norm.

I had a boy from Classic stay with me and a friend in Malaysia overnight, he told me that long time is now 2500 (I gave him 2000 as that is the last long time tip I remember, and he left with 2000). In that vein, short time should have increased to 2000.

Should this situation ever arise again, I will tell the boy that he must be wrong, I have been going to Soi Twilight for over 4 years and always paid 1500 for short time and 2000 for long time, and then I will ask him how long he has been working there (most probably less than 4 years, which proves I have more experience and must be right).

We have a thread with a similar subject on gaythailand.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Chris-that is western countries. You also very well know about Saranrom-was once double/triple BKk daily wage, now 1,66666.
    But it more looks to me, that the collected boys of that soi have made-what is extremely common in ANY Thai market-bottom prices.
    If I would add up all these outcries of apparently raised prices of this board since I follow it, then the ''customary'' fee (there simply is no regulation at all on it, and just compare it to what m2m shops want as tip for the very same type of services) would by now be 10.000.

Liked

Jelly, when I first visited Thailand in 1999 I was advised the going rate (ST/LT) was BKK 1500/2000 and Pattaya 1000/1500.

I have not been to BKK for several years but certainly in Pattaya the expected rates for tourists have gradually increased to 1500/2000. So I guess 2000/2500 for BKK would be about right.

Personally I do not grudge the fee to the boy at all - but 320B for drink with a hint of alcohol is another matter!! An off fee of 400B seems ok in the scheme of things considering a friend was charged 500B in Future Boys many years ago

:ymparty:

Liked

I have not been to BKK for several years but certainly in Pattaya the expected rates for tourists have gradually increased to 1500/2000.
    Well I dont think so. Paid standard 1000/1500 many times in the last few weeks in Pattaya and they seem perfectly happy.

Whats a tourist? One day stay, one week, three months, even a year? How do they know?

Have to say though that it doesnt seem to have gone up at all since I started cumming here 10 years ago which, as I have pointed out before, does seem rather odd.

Liked

My experience (2 out of my 3 nights in Bangkok so far) suggests that prices are pretty stable. I went to one of those massage places in Soi Twilight (everyone seems to call it that still although Twilight is long gone). Massage 500 baht, tip 500 baht minimum although I tipped 1000. Other episode was a boy off Grindr, he asked for 1300 and came to the hotel. The latter complained about a lack of Westerners around; he blamed the political troubles which suggests that even the gay sexpat is staying away from Thailand.
    "If you think you understood what I said you weren't listening" - Alan Greenspan

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by rocket
    Another reason to agree on price beforehand.
    -Yes. In my opinion it is important to agree the price in advance and make it clear what is expected. If such expectation is not met then the price will be reduced.
    As to paying 2,000 baht for short time, that is in my view usually excessive. Bangkok ought to be around 1500 short time but only if performance is good and Pattaya around 1,000-1500, likewise less where the offed boy is a dud.
    For obvious reasons people who overpay are as bad as those who underpay.